Apr 19, 2011
COMODO-Internet-Security_1.png

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Very nice review. The best thing that I would like about Comodo is that you get a whole internet security suite for FREE. Can't get any better than that. :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I gave up on Comodo awhile back, not only Comodo but all Firewalls with HIPS features and sandboxing. Yes I about as Geeky as they come and found out that I just didn't need these extra features since after using them for years, they never block one single malware, caused system errors and issues with other safe programs plus took too much of my time to tweak settings. I've just been using Avast Free and ZoneAlarm Free now for three years along with my Geeky knowledge and I haven't had one single infection. I really don't see the point why a true Geek would need these extra protection features. They should know how to get by with just a basic firewall and Anti-virus.

Still this is an excellent review.:)
Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good review, Comodo Internet Suite is free, features majority like Firewall, AV, Defense + and Sandbox are free to use.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
BoXX28 said:
Pop-ups will drive you n00bs crazy

Actually, running the default configuration gives you very few popups.

Totally agree with that statement, Comodo did well with limiting popups. Which created other problems like running trusted program in the sandbox where they can't function properly. Auto blocking safe processes without notifications (I rather have more popups, I hate auto blocking). Unable to detect safe processes that are not digitally signed like many open-source freeware, they are either auto blocked or sandboxed where they can't function. That's why Comodo has so many false positives.

Of coarse if you have plenty of time you can tweak the settings to allow these safe processes but it's an ongoing battle. Default settings also don't provide enough protection.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
These problems are common to most HIPS applications - it is hard to make a HIPS product that everyone can use without lowering the security. Although this is debatable if we are talking about real world malware instead of HIPS tests. The percentage of real-world malware that can bypass the default sandbox settings is probably low.

Whitelisting is a continuous process simply because new applications (or new versions) appear every day.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I think the whitelist should be on the Pro list, its themost cmprehensive whitelist I have seen. Unless you are using obscure software that no one else uses then you will get little to no popups.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bogdan said:
These problems are common to most HIPS applications - it is hard to make a HIPS product that everyone can use without lowering the security.

Exactly! The big problem is that most people don't actually understand what a HIPS is. They want the protection that a HIPS provides, then complain about the popups. Well, that is the HIPS doing exactly what it was designed to do! If you can't deal with the popups, then perhaps a HIPS isn't the security solution for you.

I'm not a fan of dumbing down a HIPS to appeal to the 'too many popups' crowd.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
bogdan said:
These problems are common to most HIPS applications - it is hard to make a HIPS product that everyone can use without lowering the security.

Exactly! The big problem is that most people don't actually understand what a HIPS is. They want the protection that a HIPS provides, then complain about the popups. Well, that is the HIPS doing exactly what it was designed to do! If you can't deal with the popups, then perhaps a HIPS isn't the security solution for you.

I'm not a fan of dumbing down a HIPS to appeal to the 'too many popups' crowd.

Agree, if you want HIPS then be prepared to get popups. I don't agree with all of these HIPS products adding whitelists and making automatic decisions for you. They should always have the default action set to "ASK" which should give you a popup. Of coarse some HIPS programs can be configured to allows "ASK", but with others it's not so easy to do.

The whitelists, auto sandbox and auto decisions are to make them better for less experience users, but it still fails to work correctly for them and causes problems for the more experienced users.

I personally don't see a way that HIPS will ever work for less experienced users.

The major issues that I have had with HIPS programs is bugs. They all have some kind of bugs that can get on your last nerve. Some HIPS programs worst than others (not to mention any names). Like loosing all of your settings that you have worked so hard to configure and not allowing you to import your saved settings. Blocking programs that are configured to be safe, causing random system errors for no apparent reason, locking up your system, etc.

I have no problems with the popups unless they are popups from programs that have already been configure to be safe and the HIPS program has lost my settings. Then I'm really pissed. This has happened to me with 3 different HIPS programs. The bugs are my main concern, some will say the bugs are fixed in the latest version, etc. But then I try them out and the bugs are still there, sometimes even worse.

So the reasons why I no longer use HIPS:
1. Not really needed because I never get infections.
2. Constant bugs that never seem to get fixed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually Defense + are been improved on their whitelisting so unknown applications will be popups.

D

Deleted member 178

you can add

cons : antivirus module is still a CPU usage hog at startup or when updating the database, this issue is still not yet fixed.

new user

Jun 18, 2011
Comodo Internet security drives me insane. I want to USE my computer not click Comodo pup-ups all the time.

D

Deleted member 178

did you configure it for low alert?

i have maximum 5 pop-ups a day, and only because i tweak my system all the time.

defense+ massive pop-ups is a myth (except in paranoid mode)

G

Guest28

Comodo is a great suite but it's only good protection for my self. It did not go over well when i installed it on my moms machine. It's very powerful pending on the user.

new user

Jun 18, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
did you configure it for low alert?

i have maximum 5 pop-ups a day, and only because i tweak my system all the time.

defense+ massive pop-ups is a myth (except in paranoid mode)

Tell that to my old laptop. Had it in learning mode for a day and still.... Although this is not Comodo's fault it is a problem with any HIPS. A lot of enterprise don't use HIPS but use HIDS. (Detection, not prevention).

Oh if you didn't notice from my animated userbar, you'll see C++ programmer. I can't compile ANYTHING without Comodo going on about unknown .exe

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
This is what I did when I used Comodo. I kept it in Learning mode for a whole week, I opened up all my installed programs so that it can learn what the program does. And after doing all that and letting it in learning mode for a week, I barely got a popup. I only got a popup when installing a program that wasn't in its whitelist. That's the one problem with Comodo, their whitelist isn't to big.

I

illumination

I use Comodo on and off, when i am not running something else to "test" drive. Have never had an infection with Comodo on my system. I tend to tweak it out some, and still have very little "pop ups". I usually set the "configuration" to Proactive, in the firewall i set it to Block all incoming while stealth ports, "outbound firewall setting is usually "Custom" with the sandbox set to "Restricted". Once I set the rules for the applications out bound, the Suite quiets down. It is extremely light on system resources, especially for those who do not have the power of dual core, or better..
I have run into a couple problems with downloads, especially with the sandbox set to restricted, but after it has been sandboxed, and analyzed, if no problems found, it will download. So all in all, I personally think Comodo is one of the best Suites "especially free" out there.

D

Deleted member 178

TKFlight said:
That's the one problem with Comodo, their whitelist isn't to big.

no the whitelist is too huge, it contains many useless vendors; it is the whitelist improvement that is waited by most of comodo users and a way to tweak it.

anyway i dont mind clicking few times for every soft i use, after i can live in peace ^^

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Please note that it is not recommended to run in training mode for anything other than short periods of time!

If you happen to encounter any malware while doing this, CIS will create allow rules for the malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.