App Review Comodo Internet Security 6 vs unknown malwares

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Zurchiboy

Verified
Apr 10, 2013
Gnosis said:
But your statement is right, a real PC is the best way to test an AV.

That is disturbing when considering most of what we see tested is on VM's. Seriously.
I have Comodo tweaked a bit on one of my PC's. I surely hope this last test was not an accurate portrayal.

The default configuration can be by passed. but if you have The HIPS enabled and auto sandbox set to restricted or higher instead of partially limited. Comodo should do much better vs. unknown malware.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Comodo Internet Security 6.1 vs 12 unknown malwares

Last edited by a moderator:

Binload

Verified
Apr 21, 2013
spywar said:
Comodo Internet Security 6.1 vs 12 unknown malwares

It did not do bad. 3 entries detected on MBAM scan. Question: is the video suppose to end like that?

What is your opinion on Comodo?

Also, I thought it is not advised to use VirtualBox to test comodo and other security solutions. It seems to however work for you.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
1 . Yes supposed to end like that

2 . It's a very good suite for free with great services and will be even better in the future

3 . Me too, I don't like VM ... I prefer a real pc cause for me everythings done inside VM is not real situation (even less when you execute 12/30/80 samples to a product while average users come across a malware 2/3 times per years). I'll see what I can do ...

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I have CIS 6 on one of my PC's set to the following:

Behavior Blocker: Untrusted (do not show pop-up alerts)

HIPS: Safe Mode (do not show pop-up alerts)

AV Heuristics: High (do not show pop-up alerts)

Firewall: Safe Mode

I have not encountered nagging or false positives that way. I right click on an executable if I want it sandboxed, such as Outlook. I have no pathways entered into Comodo for auto sandboxing.

Please, someone, do a test with it set that way without the aid of a VM. Use at least 40 unknown malware.exe's.
It would sure be fascinating and appreciated.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Comodo Internet Security 6.1 default settings against unknown malwares.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
These factory default tests are really getting on my nerves relative to any AV product. I know we must help the novice most times, but once in a while we could tweak some things to where false positives are rare, yet performance is greatly enhanced. If you can tweak it to where it is more aggressive, but to where it won't pop-up (which I have done), it won't freak out the novice and will protect them better.
Setting all actions to "QUARANTINE" is a good safety net for the novice as well; crucial, actually.

GIST: I honestly don't know why AV heuristics were set to "low". Makes no sense.
My recommendation is that if anyone is planning on leaving CIS at factory default, simply DON'T DOWNLOAD IT.
I don't want to hear how poorly it performs when one has not the sense to adjust it properly. It is NOT Avast Free. It is not what you are going to install on grandma's or grandpa's PC.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
CIS is used by 55 M users.
how many out of them has switched the settings ? Do tell me sir ...

"I honestly don't know why AV heuristics were set to "low". Makes no sense"

Have you already tested high and medium ? There is no need to change the heuristic settings lol ...

Who cares if I don't want to test it with changed settings ? I don't need your comment btw..

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

I honestly do not know.

Have you already tested high and medium ?

See post number 25.

Test how you wish. It is your prerogative, as it is mine to offer another point of view.

Thanks for your response.

BTW, I must commend you for using a ridiculously huge number of malicious samples. I dig that approach with any test. It is the only way that we will get a good idea about how a security suite might really perform overall (imho).

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
I make a lot of tests of the same program you'll see soon 10 tests of CIS 6.1 ... I try to collect as many as new zeroday samples but soon I'll get access to a private area to get malware everything should be simpler...

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I look forward to your upcoming presentations.
You are the one actually making an effort to do the tests and share them with us, so you are in the driver's seat. Hammer down!
Cheers.

I

illumination

spywar said:
CIS is used by 55 M users.

"I honestly don't know why AV heuristics were set to "low". Makes no sense"

Have you already tested high and medium ? There is no need to change the heuristic settings lol ...

Who cares if I don't want to test it with changed settings ? I don't need your comment btw..

Indeed, if a person wanted to show product in poor light, they would not care how others would like to see it tested. Personally, i have preformed test myself, and as well watch people that are a little more objective with their tests, a little more open minded..

You want to see a product preform, unleash its abilities and really test it..

To not do so, would be like partially opening an umbrella, and expecting it to do the job of keeping you completely dry..

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
I do understand what you guys are saying but that's not my goal.

CIS 6.1 latest build vs 21 undetected fresh malwares samples done on a real machine :

Part1 - Dynamic execution

Part2 - MBAM scan
[/align]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.