Battle COMODO Internet Security 8 vs. ESET Smart Security 9

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
So, both ESET and COMODO have recently released beta's for their latest security lines, and I felt like this might be a good opportunity to find out where the community presently stands on ESET and COMODO. I've only been using ESET Smart Security 9 for a few days, and my overall impressions are fairly positive. However, I don't know enough about the effectiveness of its protection, apart from the fact that it has one of the fastest responses to malware infections there is. COMODO I always felt had a lot of potential, boasting one of the best firewalls and hips. Putting into consideration performance, protection, general features, and so forth, which do you believe presently holds the edge and the most potential to grow with their latest betas?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I like ESET a lot more than Comodo, I am currently using ESET and have been for the past few months, overall it is very good and has actually caught a lot of malware before I even download them through their malicious site blocking.

As for Comodo, the one time I went to try their CIS it bluescreened by computer hard. I mean I wasn't even able to boot my computer for 10 mins without it crashing on me again, finally after removing it everything went back to normal so I would beware of CIS.

As for lightness on the system ESET definitely takes the cake, even with just Comodo firewall on my system I can feel that the system takes much longer to start up than without it, whereas with ESET I can barely feel it on my system and it boots up pretty fast.

Comparing the price points of both of them, ESET offers paid only solutions whereas Comodo has a free option with the paid option offering nothing more than "customer service". IMO I think if you want to go for Comodo you should just go for the free version. However I think that ESET is worth the money and if you want to invest in good security you should go with ESET.

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
I would use comodo but given the direction it is heading I have stopped using it.I do not like any antivirus software which ask the user if certain program or file to be allowed.if user has to decide than no antivirus is required only UAC is enough

COMODO probably nags more than any other AV I know. Some people might like it, others will despise it.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
As for Comodo, the one time I went to try their CIS it bluescreened by computer hard. I mean I wasn't even able to boot my computer for 10 mins without it crashing on me again, finally after removing it everything went back to normal so I would beware of CIS.
I'm equally unimpressed with CIS. My problems always came when trying to upgrade to a new version. Even though I followed Chiron's excellent clean install guide (no program should require all that time and effort to uninstall/install) I too got BSODs with version 8 after also being told the security agent would not install. Good protection but a nightmare to install so unusable for me.

Reactions: Solarlynx

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
If you want to use Comodo then you must be patient to almost inevitable bugs and to learn a lot. Then Comodo will become a great tool in your hands. If not - there are a lot of other great progs including Eset.

Reactions: Niente
H

hjlbx

This one is "no brainer" if you intend on creating custom rules - ESET; COMODO is defective product in this regard. IF it were any other industry there would be mandated re-call for CIS...

IF it were any other industry, this would apply to the vast majority of software vendors - but alas - the industry works on a model were they can release half-baked products and pretty much get away with it without consequence...

If you use HIPS - then ESET; COMODO is susceptible to "disappearing rules" - whether it be HIPS, Firewall, Sandbox, file\folder\, registry, COM object, etc rules.

If you use COMODO in Proactive Security with Firewall set to block Unrecognized applications - then it is superior protection compared to ESET - because of the sandbox and virtual desktop. The COMODO sandbox\virtual desktop is good in my experience.

Impact on system resources... ESET and COMODO are essentially the same since CIS 8.

I wish COMODO would enable the user to custom install the individual CIS modules. It has been requested a number of times over the years - but no dice.

It makes no sense to install a module that is defective. The "disappearing rules" bug has been confirmed by many users on 8 and at least a few on 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
:eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

And now a couple of warm words for ESET and a dozen for COMODO, please. You know that they deserve them as well.
I'm with @hjlbx on this. Comodo is defective if it requires such a long and ridiculous procedure to clean install. This is it:
Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems - Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS
And even if you follow it to the letter there's a good chance you'll have to repeat it or you'll have insurmountable problems.

And even if the procedure does work as intended, this fiasco may be fine with power/advanced users, but what average user is going to want to do all this?

For me if a product doesn't have an official removal that actually works then it's not fir for purpose.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

I'm with @hjlbx on this. Comodo is defective if it requires such a long and ridiculous procedure to clean install. This is it:
Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems - Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS
And even if you follow it to the letter there's a good chance you'll have to repeat it or you'll have insurmountable problems.

And even if the procedure does work as intended, this fiasco may be fine with power/advanced users, but what average user is going to want to do all this?

In my experience, clean install is required for COMODO otherwise you will experience problems. If one is going to use COMODO - then just use COMODO - and don't pile 5 more security softs onto the system with it - as they just aren't needed - and will eventually lead to quirky\unwanted behavior.

H

hjlbx

I'm equally unimpressed with CIS. My problems always came when trying to upgrade to a new version. Even though I followed Chiron's excellent clean install guide (no program should require all that time and effort to uninstall/install) I too got BSODs with version 8 after also being told the security agent would not install. Good protection but a nightmare to install so unusable for me.

LOL... I know what you mean, I went through hell with CIS 7.

The way to avoid all of this is to clean install OS, then immediately install COMODO - but most people are not willing to do this...

Reactions: uninfected1

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
  • System Resource Usage: both on the same level
  • Real-World Performance Impact: both on the same level
  • Ease of Use: ESET
  • Graphical User Interface: COMODO
  • Inclusive Product Features: COMODO
  • Real-World Protection: COMODO
  • Preferred Product and Why: my vote goes to COMODO - it has a few features more than ESET: sandbox, better (imo) firewall, Viruscope and it's free! Sure it have some bugs but which of leading AV/IS on the market is 100% bug free? If I must choose between those two I would definitely go for CIS mainly because of it's price and "default deny" approach.

Reactions: UserA

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I edit my post and qualify my response so as not to outrage COMODO fans... which I am a fan by the way - I just take reality for what it is...

Thank you for detailed answer. One thing is just to denounce or praise a prog. The other is to do it with explanation. Especially it is applicable to such qualified person like you.

In my experience, clean install is required for COMODO otherwise you will experience problems. If one is going to use COMODO - then just use COMODO - and don't pile 5 more security softs onto the system with it - as they just aren't needed - and will eventually lead to quirky\unwanted behavior.

Hey you kill me. I used to pile something like Comodo FW (properly tweaked and over tweaked and tuned again) + Malwarebytes AntiExploit + Zemana Antimalware resident + sometimes Sandboxie (Comodo's Sandbox is slow with browsers).

I'm sorry I can't add W10FC of Sphinx-soft and Avast free and Panda AV free. They will quarrel I know. Also I won't add EMET, NVT ERP and VoodooShield - too much I believe. Those all my fan pack.

So your advice would be if to use CF then to use only CF + Zemana AntiMalware?

Or maybe CF + MBAE + Zemana Antimalware? :confused:

Thank you.

H

hjlbx

I used to pile something like Comodo FW (properly tweaked and over tweaked and tuned again) + Malwarebytes AntiExploit + Zemana Antimalware resident + sometimes Sandboxie (Comodo's Sandbox is slow with browsers).

So your advice would be if to use CF then to use only CF + Zemana AntiMalware?

Or maybe CF + MBAE + Zemana Antimalware? :confused:

Thank you.

I tested COMODO with EMET, MBAE, and HMPA. At that time, they all worked fine with it. If you have a lot of vulnerable softs or are just plain paranoid about exploits, then any one of them should still work fine.

COMODO worked fine with Malwarebytes, but I never tested it with Zemana. Theoretically, Zemana should work fine along side COMODO too.

I could never get Sandboxie to work well along side COMODO since version 6.

I tested COMODO with NVT ERP and Voodooshield and both worked fine - but I removed them because they are not needed since COMODO has HIPS and the sandbox can be set to block any Unrecognized applications.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Yes. You have to clean install Comodo. Problem is the procedure involved which I linked above is crazy. As I said even if you follow it perfectly chances are you'll still have problems - remnants of CIS are still left all over the place. If Comodo had an official removal tool that worked properly things would be OK. The trouble is it doesn't work properly.

I don't know of any other product that is so difficult to uninstall/install so, as you say, and in my opinion too, it is defective and not fit for purpose.

H

hjlbx

Yes. You have to clean install Comodo. Problem is the procedure involved which I linked above is crazy. As I said even if you follow it perfectly chances are you'll still have problems - remnants of CIS are still left all over the place. If Comodo had an official removal tool that worked properly things would be fine. The trouble is it doesn't work properly.

I don't know of any other product that is so difficult to uninstall/install so, as you say, and in my opinion too, it is defective and not fit for purpose.

I agree.

Users have been requesting an official removal tool that is good and thorough for many years by now - but it just falls on deaf ears. The unoffical removal tool worked OK for me on version 7 and 8, but still I had to do clean up with CCleaner, manual registry clean up and folder\file clean up with UltraSearch.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
COMODO worked fine with Malwarebytes, but I never tested it with Zemana. Theoretically, Zemana should work fine along side COMODO too.
I am currently running CIS with ZAM in realtime (Pandora enabled) and they both work like a charm :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.