Battle COMODO Internet Security 8 vs. ESET Smart Security 9

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
So, both ESET and COMODO have recently released beta's for their latest security lines, and I felt like this might be a good opportunity to find out where the community presently stands on ESET and COMODO. I've only been using ESET Smart Security 9 for a few days, and my overall impressions are fairly positive. However, I don't know enough about the effectiveness of its protection, apart from the fact that it has one of the fastest responses to malware infections there is. COMODO I always felt had a lot of potential, boasting one of the best firewalls and hips. Putting into consideration performance, protection, general features, and so forth, which do you believe presently holds the edge and the most potential to grow with their latest betas?

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I tested COMODO with EMET, MBAE, and HMPA. At that time, they all worked fine with it. If you have a lot of vulnerable softs or are just plain paranoid about exploits, then any one of them should still work fine.

COMODO worked fine with Malwarebytes, but I never tested it with Zemana. Theoretically, Zemana should work fine along side COMODO too.

I could never get Sandboxie to work well along side COMODO since version 6.

I tested COMODO with NVT ERP and Voodooshield and both worked fine - but I removed them because they are not needed since COMODO has HIPS and the sandbox can be set to block any Unrecognized applications.

Thank you. You experience confirms mine except I managed to make SBIE work with CF.

So I'll go on piling various security progs with CF.

D

Deleted member 2913

CIS with it autosandbox is way better (protection) compared to Eset or any other security software.
But you need to know how CIS works...And if you know how it works then you get an excellent protection & free.

My opinion is based on Comodo default settings with little tweaks (slight tweaks). Coz for me default settings are good with little tweak. And I never faced any major or unacceptable prob with Comodo with default settings.

Cant comment on custom settings, HIPS, etc... as mentioned above I have used only default settings with little tweaks & no probs.

Some say Comodo default is not good. I dont agree, Comodo default provides strong protection with good usability. Default is strong And not maximum protection.

I suggest default settings with little tweaks like Firewall set to ask, you may want to set sandbox rules from "Internet" to "Any", etc...

But as mentioned above, you need to know how CIS works.

songoku316

Level 6
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
for me ESET very easy to use very light dont impact your system performance updates very fast quick scans friendly interface Banking & Payment Protection

Last edited:
Reactions: Solarlynx

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think the winner is quite obvious here but if you still want to test out CIS it's your choice too, no harm trying something and uninstalling it later if you don't like it, unless it bluescreens and crashes your computer of course, that would be the only downside of trying out the software on your host system.

H

hjlbx

COMODO is pretty good if you know how to use it and with the exception that you do not want to create rules.

If you want to create rules, then ESET.

Besides, officially Valkyrie will not be integrated into CIS anytime soon. Valkyrie integration into CIS is a joke on all users by COMODO - which insisted Valkyrie would be de facto integrated into CIS 10.

COMODO is nothing but a disappointment as far as I am concerned...

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
COMODO is mostly for advanced users. It can be very buggy at times and you get that impression that each of its components work independently instead of working together. If you are a software developer for example you may want to use COMODO to get more control, but if you are searching for simplicity and install and forget, ESET is better, and with very good detection without being intrusive.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
My opinion is based on Comodo default settings with little tweaks (slight tweaks). Coz for me default settings are good with little tweak. And I never faced any major or unacceptable prob with Comodo with default settings.

Cant comment on custom settings, HIPS, etc... as mentioned above I have used only default settings with little tweaks & no probs.

Some say Comodo default is not good. I dont agree, Comodo default provides strong protection with good usability. Default is strong And not maximum protection.

I suggest default settings with little tweaks like Firewall set to ask, you may want to set sandbox rules from "Internet" to "Any", etc...

But as mentioned above, you need to know how CIS works.

In default settings D+ is like anti-exec + AutoSandbox I prefer to enable HIPS as it gives more control over the system. And yes, FW in ask mode is safer. Though these tweaks make CIS more vociferous.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I've been critical of CIS but I'm not a huge fan of ESET SS9 either. High RAM usage, particularly ekrn.exe which averaged around 150 MB for me but often went much higher. Another unwelcome side effect was my hard drive temperature was around 3 degrees C higher using ESET than using my usual free security combo. ESET support forums staff say 200 MB is quite acceptable, but not for me. I used ESET briefly but soon went back to my free combo which totals about 60MB RAM.

If I had to choose one it would be ESET but I wouldn't recommend either, but if you're OK with high RAM usage and your computer doesn't struggle with it then ESET is probably a good choice.

Reactions: Solarlynx

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
High RAM usage, particularly ekrn.exe which averaged around 150 MB for me but often went much higher....
ESET support forums staff say 200 MB is quite acceptable, but not for me.

Actually ESET support is right unless you have direct inconveniences of such RAM usage. If you PC goes slow for instance.

Reactions: uninfected1

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
7 year old x86 laptop here and unfortunately it takes a noticeable performance hit when using ESET. I'm sure most modern computers wouldn't have any problem though so as I said probably a good choice for them.

Emy12

Level 1
Dec 22, 2011
I just installed the latest CIS, I had installed Emsisoft, prior to Emsisoft i had ESET which was using lot of resources. I uninstalled it and having a year license of Emsisoft I gave a go to it till now when there is around month left before expires. I had problems with high usage and web pages scrolling. Today i uninstalled it and CIS is on. It works much better, smooth scrolling of web pages, the fan is quieter and faster too.
As for detection stuff it does pretty good job, i do not have the laptop 24 hours on or who cares about me?

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
As a security product ,I find the CIS not better than UAC.but I am unable to decide what should I use to ruin my system malware or let the comodo do it's work for malware in the name of bug.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
ESET is cool on default settings if you know the basics of how to surf the net. And you also get a very customizable AV solution like ESET, you can go both sides, the easy way or the custom way; both work on ESET ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It is like we are comparing a ripe fruit and unripe one.

ESET clearly holds the overall vote because of maturity, effectiveness, and well established product.

Their detection capabilities are already at the very good condition leaving minimal configuration for users like HIPS.

-----------------------------

Meanwhile Comodo IS goes strong on HIPS and Autosandbox but it needs a big maintenance/revisions because of complexity that can result on some serious issue.

Their TVL should give another focus due to digital malware nowadays.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Between these two I'd go with Comodo every time. The HIPS, Auto-Sandbox and various other features just out gun Eset or me personally. Although for less experienced users I'd have no problem recommending Eset. However, for said less experienced users I'd recommend Kaspersky to be honest.

Reactions: enaph

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.