App Review COMODO Internet Security by bbbbweb

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
Comodo wants to education the user. When i first had it (CIS 5) I was definitely an average user. In the last year I have learned alot regarding security and hardware :) if people also take little of their time knowledge will come without them noticing it.

Regards,
Valentin N

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Educating is one thing...............Nagging ang bugging the hell out of a user is another. The average pc user does not want to learn about security. All they need to know is that it works without bugging them. Again please stop acting like another Comodo Attorney. Gak from rM was like you before. Then he realized that the Dark side is full of lies and deceit so he joined the Force.

I have installed CIS a couple of times on noobs computer. No more then 20 minutes later I was getting phone calls about "How do I answer these pop ups". I installed it on my girl friends previous laptop and within 10 minutes she hated it. Security should NOT nag you or bother you. Security should not be complex. It should just work. As I have said a million times before...............The average home computer user does not even know what security they are currently running never mind learning how to use one with complex pop ups.

Off topic.....................Anyone hear from Gak?

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
Gak is active :)

I understand what you are saying and I also agree with you but since the criminality is getting cleverer HIPS is an optimal solution; AV won't be able to have signatures for latest threats and some viruses/malware even bypasses the heuristics.

I think average people should give their Digital world more value; computers are a part of our lives (and it's getting bigger and bigger if you compare how it was at your time as youth). Forum for instance is a good place to turn to :)

Lets not for get that CIS for instance also tell the user what action to take if they're insecure.

It depends what you see as nagging.

I usually tip people to use some small tools to analyze the downloaded software and that takes for about 1 min or so.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly I was using Comodo firewall before (like version 3) long time as a average user, I just try to deal those alerts from Protected COM and etc......., well those are bit more popups before. Even also as a average user before I didn't notice that my OS was having a problem even I know that dealing those alerts so I need to remove it.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
I guess you don't have a lot of main stream user clients. An antivirus is still a great tool. Just look at Avast Free. I can stand all on its own. No HIPS needed. Also keep in mind that a HIPS will only be effective if you answer the question properly. What makes a HIPS effective is not the company who made it but the user behind the mouse. HIPS is only for advanced users. You really need to understand how dumb the average pc user is. Even Tweak knows what I am talking about. Here is an example.

Customer: "Yes... my computer won't connect"
Me: "How do you connect to the internet?"
Customer: "I don't know!"
Me: "Are you on dsl,cable,fiber optics or dial up?"
Customer: "I don't know!"
Me: "Ok lets put this another way. Who is your ISP?"
Customer: "What does that mean"
Me: : "Thats your internet service provider"
Customer: "I don't know. My husband pays the bills"
Me: "Do you have a recent bill?"
Customer: "Yes its Comcast. So I have Comcast cable internet"
Me: "Are all the lights on your modem on and green? Are any red and blinking?"
Customer: 'What's a modem?"

This is an actually call I got last year and still get. So how is this person gonna answer CIS's complex pop ups? They cannot. Thats the main problem with CIS or any HIPS. I cannot install CIS on a customer's pc and walk away with no worries.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
That was not an unfriendly statement but a fact about home pc's users. Until you start fixing home pc's and doing house calls you never understand how dumb the average home pc user really is. I forgot to add a line in that conversation I quoted. It goes like this:

Me: "When you go on the internet exactly how do you get there?"
Customer: "I don't know...............I press the "e" thingy".

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
CIS a great free internet security suite...................For ADVANCED users only.

I would use it myself if I was the only user of this pc. But in my old age I have grown tired of clicking "Allow/Block" a million times a week.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Valentinchen N said:
I don't I know how good it is to quarantine FP.
That is the purpose of "quarantine". The AV puts the file in there just in case it is a false-positive. After a signature update the quarantine folder is usually rescanned. If the AV or the user decides that a file is not malicious it can be restored. It should be ok... keep in mind that the quarantine is just for files currently known to be infected, not for unknown files.

Comodo did a good job with their whitelist, the number of pop-ups I have to answer is much lower. The auto-sandbox works... what is probably missing is some novice-proof HIPS pop-ups with two buttons: Trust Application | Block Application and the recommended option being "block". As an advanced user I would still like the current HIPS pop-ups and the flexibility to create my own rules.

However you put it a HIPS product transfers part of responsibility to the user. An advanced user can take better decisions than any programed algorithm but a novice user will just be overwhelmed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Agree for the explanation bogdan, especially from the advance user they have definitely understand those popup with no hassle.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
I personally don't have problem with putting things in quarantine if I am insecure but I thought of the novices; Novices intend to overreaction when it's about FP and make big deal for nothing.

Regards,
Valentin N

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Along the lines the Dman has mentioned you simply cannot use CIS when it comes to clients that do not understand very much when it comes to PROPERLY operating their own systems. CIS is a fine program but if you deal with several hundred clients per month at a minimum and were to install CIS I am fairly certain it wouldn't be long before your primary function would become educating and/or removing CIS from that same client base and losing the others you had no time to get to...ultimately you probably would find yourself in a very bad place with your business. I'd be happier if I could have a popup that sits there for say 10 seconds with the options of Allow, Block Always, Block once, or something along those lines and after the 10 seconds it would automatically choose what it feels is best is a way as NIS currently does automatically. I feel that would make it a nice option for the more advanced and the less inclined would have what protection they need as well. Hopefully that made enough sense, sorry just got in and at almost 3am I should be in bed not here....lol.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
In all honesty, if you remove all the automatic decision in KIS for example, it will be almost as "noisy" as CIS is with default settings. So CIS is not far behind mainstream suites, it just needs an automatic mode and friendlier pop-ups. On the other hand CIS scores better than other suites in HIPS tests, but those are synthetic tests, they are not based on real malware. With real malware you also have signatures, heuristics and cloud blacklisting to protect you - layers of defense that are not taken into consideration in HIPS tests. So I think that CIS will still be able to protect the user from real threats even if the default level of protection provided by HIPS is lowered a bit to make it more user friendly.
COMODO made a step in this direction by introducing the auto-sandbox. Many CIS users (me included) complained that this lowers the default level of protection. We are wrong. For us it is easy to tune CIS so that it offers more protection, but we are also able to stay away from malware in the first place. For normal users this makes CIS a less noisy product, more usable.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
here is where CIS needs the user:) At least compared to the previous versions it has improved :) so it's on the right way. Valkyrie will surely help CIS to take the right decisions.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Dieselman said:
I would use it myself if I was the only user of this pc. But in my old age I have grown tired of clicking "Allow/Block" a million times a week.

It's not just age, it's time for automated decisions.

Even now I cannot to bothered to answer security pop-ups. That's why I have no third-party firewall installed. :p

My wish for Comodo is to have a non-interactive mode by Windows 8-era.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
from what i have seen Valkyrie is quite accurate and it's not mature yet to Valkyrie is looking promising. Comodo said it will be apart of the cloud but I think it would be better to integrate it in CAV; I don't know how many have dial-up and to upload will take a hell of a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.