Comodo Internet Security - Personal Opinion

Product name
Comodo Internet Security Free
Installation (rating)
2.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
UI can be hard to navigate for your avarage user and it can be sometimes hard to get to the correct thing youre looking for.
Performance (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
The strongest part of this AV is that it is very good at protecting you against malware, including ransomware, as it, again, uses its sandbox to detect malware, however, this sandbox is not 100% secure and ransomware may have time to encrypt some files before being put into the sandbox
Its web protection is non existant and its browser extension is really bad compared to others.
Browser protection (rating)
1.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Many features
    • Highly configurable
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Features you can't get elsewhere for free
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Not for beginners
    • Clumsy or awkward interface (UI)
    • Resource intensive tasks
    • Limited web protection
    • Lots of popups when running
    • Includes paid-for components (paywall)
    • Nags about purchasing other version
    • Higher than average false positives
    • Can be complex in some situations
Time spent using product
Computer specs
Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube

Intel Core i5-6400
geForce GTX 1070
C: drive
Manufacturer: SanDisk
Interface: SATA
Capacity: 119 GB

D: drive
Manufacturer: Seagate
Interface: SATA
Capacity: 931 GB

Windows 10
Recommended for
  1. Experienced users
Overall rating
4.00 star(s)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I found Comodo-IS to be "medium" not heavy on system, but not light either. False positive wasnt too bad. Some pop-ups but not more then Avast.
Its in my top 3 fav AV choices.

To me Kaspersky FREE installed okay, but was really heavy, got rid right away lol.

These I've used on my computers,

1. Bitdefender (free)
2. Comodo Internet Security (free)
3. Avira (free)
4. AVG (free)
and,
Windows Defender (built-in)

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

i will say with comodo, if you have some skills and knowledge in computer, used to tweak security softs, are not too "demanding or perfectionist" about it, and don't mind some very annoying bugs , Comodo is good enough.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
i will say with comodo, if you have some skills and knowledge in computer, used to tweak security softs, are not too "demanding or perfectionist" about it, and don't mind some very annoying bugs , Comodo is good enough.
That's why you left.;)(y)

Comodo has a lot of difficult parts to introduce casually, and it seems to find bugs when trying to use it in earnest. In other words, I think there is an aspect that beginners and advanced people are excluded from the target of users.

At least not for people who want to click on 'allow' quickly, such as fast finger first.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Yes, possibly this is an error that @Umbra refers to. Maybe it's because it uses a very severe configuration. I used Comodo since it started, it wasn't even in my language, it was translated by a colleague, in the Softonic forum in Spanish, whose name was Pablo Ino, he was Argentine, and I never had a problem, maybe I've been lucky

mellowtones242

Level 2
Verified
Aug 11, 2018
Well, I've used it at the enterprise level for some clients along with myself and team there is not much of a difference except that everything is pretty much managed from the portal. We've had one major issue with an update a few months back earlier in the year were the firewall driver pretty much broke the network and internet side of things which resulted in disabling Comodo's firewall driver to get network and internet connection going again this was resolved, the other issue that is pending is network printing HP software and drivers being blocked by firewall. But I must say Comodo has been pretty solid otherwise.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

A "notorious" one is where the firewall forgets all your allow/deny rules;)
@Umbra can elaborate further...:)
It is worse than that, basically Comodo will auto-delete all rules in the HIPS, etc.. (even the default ones, leaving the list blank). The bug was reproduced and submitted (even by members here) plenty of times, without any fixes.
The condition to make it happen is that at some point Comodo can't handle a vast amount of rules and will suddenly trigger this auto-deletion.
The thing is when that happen, the user isn't even informed, only clue is that alerts you already allowed/denied start to pop-up again.
One colleague had a discussion with the main Comodo developer, and the fix requires a full rewrite of the code, which was said, won't happen soon since few users would have hundreds of rules.
It was that day I ditched Comodo and never looked back.

Comodo concept is very good, one of the best years ago, complete free solution.
But as I often said, the implementation is far from perfect, and you can see it with many of their products; excellent concepts, hyped like crazy at the start and abandoned few months later...

Yes, possibly this is an error that @Umbra refers to. Maybe it's because it uses a very severe configuration
Indeed, this is the reason.

When you seriously beta test (or work as i did in Quality/Assurance, you squeeze the security product to an extent not done by classic users. You do things, that aren't supposed to be done or that won't be done by regular users. You do it because somewhere, someone may do it too, and if it is some big customers and the product fails because of it, they will look elsewhere for a more solid solution.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@Umbra.....Have you found another security soft that is able to handle the vast amount of custom rules that you inflict on security products?
Those i used in the past or use at the moment:

1- NoVirusThanks product line: NVT OSarmor , NVT ExeRadarPro, NVT Smart Object Blocker. They are the best for it.
Those are very well coded, simple, not bloated, few bugs and even their betas are pretty stable, they have no (visible) limitations for the amount of rules you can create and the rules' syntaxe is not difficult to master. Cherry on the cake, they are free. All those are the reason i consider them the best Anti-exes on the market.

2- ReHIPS, despite being a Sandbox, its Application Control module allow a lot of rules but it is less customizable and easy to implement than NVT products. Good understanding of ReHIPS is required.

3- in a lesser extent Appguard Solo (128 rules) and Appguard Enterprise (256 rules). those products aren't for home users. so no need much discussion about them.

4- for those with Win10 Enterprise , Applocker seems limitless.

There are probably other products but i don't need them, since i am a big fan of Default-Deny apps and i consider those above the top apps in their respective fields.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
As I said in another Comodo thread, I used Comodo FW for many years. I liked it until recently when I had major problems and moved first to REHips, and now to Hard Configurator (with ConfigDefender and Firewall Hardener). Other than not having outgoing firewall control, Hard Configurator is an ideal choice . The only people who couldn't deal with it are those who just have a need or desire to fiddle constantly with settings.

As for Comodo Firewall and the pros and cons, I think it's you either love it, or you love to hate it.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I think, that CF + any on-demand scanner (like HitmanPro) can be a good choice as the only real-time security on laptops with Windows XP and Vista. These outdated Windows versions are far safer when highly restricted. Furthermore, the Firewall on Windows XP and Vista is not good - that can be a serious security issue for laptops, because they sometimes will not be connected to the home network.
CF has a file lookup feature, which works much better for Windows XP and Vista, as compared to Windows 7+.
The system can be restricted by using @cruelsister settings.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.