Comodo Internet Security v10.0.2.6396 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Raka Daku

Thread author
Hi All,
We are pleased to announce release of Comodo Internet Security v10.0.2.6396.

We highly appreciate all users, who participated and provided valuable feedback in last RC and BETA releases.

Here is the change list:

New:
AV component optional in offline installer:

There was a request from users, who wanted to have offline installer for Firewall and didn't want to install Antivirus component together.
Now during installation, user can select both or either of the two. Please check enclosed AV_Optional_In_Offline_Installer.png.

Crash Reporting:

In case any CIS component crashes and if user is not participating in sharing application usage and statistics (Option: General Settings-->Logging --> Send anoymous...),
he will see example alert (please see CrashReporting_Alert.png) requesting user to allow to upload crash dump to Comodo server for further analysis. This will enable us to find out crashes in the wild and every release down the road, will include fixes of the same. We introduced this feature in CCAV and has greatly helped.

Automatic Update Download and Installation in Critical Situations:

Considering Windows 10 is evolving very fast, we have seen in recent past that there had been incompatibilities between Comodo and Windows 10.
Even after releasing CIS updates, some of users do not read releases notes and do not update to latest program version, however Windows may update automatically. This creates a situation where even though we offered update, user declined the update and could run into difficulty.
In order to avoid these situations, we have decided to introduce an option "Automatically install program updates..." under "Settings --> General Settings --> Updates" section. Please have a look at enclosed AutoInstallUpdates.png. It will be selected by default and if that is selected, updates will be automatically installed and if applicable, user will be requested to re-start system on his convenience. We will use this only in critical situations.

Right click scan to use Cloud (New 'Manual Scan' Profile):

At the moment, right click scan uses settings from "Full Scan" profile, where cloud lookup is disabled by default for performance reasons.
When user right clicks and scans, user really expects file to be thoroughly scanned. So we are introducing "Manual Scan" as a new scan profile with cloud lookup enabled by default.
This new profile "Manual Scan" will be used whenever user right clicks and scans a file or folder. Please check enclosed New_Manual_Scan_Profile.png

Trusted Root Certificate Scan:

In order to protect against Man in the Middle (MitM) attacks, when you run Rating Scan, it will also scan for presence of suspicious root certificates in system.

Optional online access for files on Network:

In order to improve performance of browsing network files, we have introduced a new flag under "Settings-->Antivirus-->Realtime Scan" as "Enable realtime scanning of files on network".
This allows to control if files on network should be scanned when you browse network folder or copy files network to network i.e. one folder on network to other folder on network. This is de-selected by default for performance reasons. If you want, you can enable and files on network will be scanned upon access just like local files.
In any case if you copy network file to local system, files will be scanned. So this feature is only for files on network.
Additionally, when older version update to this newer version, this flag will remain selected, going forward for new installations, it will be de-selected by default.

Compliant to Cloud Files Feature:

This version is fully compliant with latest Cloud Files Feature introduced in Windows 10 RS3 release.

Improved:
Improved Auto-Sandbox notification:

Now when an application is auto-sandboxed, notification has an option not to isolate again. Please check enclosed Improved_Auto_Sandbox_Notification.png.

Improved System re-start reminder alert:

Earlier, when alert was shown, it used to steal focus and inadvertently user could end up re-starting system while in the middle of other work.
Now reminder dialog will be shown on top but without being as active window and even if active for some reasons, default active button will be "Postpone".

Improved "Unblock Applications" interface:

Now you have ability to:
- Unblock a blocked application from respective blocked component or from all components.
- You have a Purge button as well to clean up non-existent files related entries.
Please check enclosed Improved_Unblock_Applications_Interface.png

Website Filtering:

- Cloud based threat database: Till last production version we used to have localized malicious url database; This release onwards, we have this database cloud based with support of local heuristic database that's version number you will see in About box. This database is updated every time AV database is updated.
- Additional malware categories: If you go to "Settings-->Website Filtering" section and try to add a category in a rule, you will see additional categories, which are filled up on the fly and will allow us to add more categories in future without client changes.
- Default behavior for blocked sites as "Ask": If you see default "Blocked Sites" rule, earlier websites in defined categories were set to "Blocked" as default Restriction. Now you can see default value as "Ask". This means now if website is blocked, user will be having option to continue, if he wishes so. Please see enclosed Blocked_By_WebFiltering.png as example blocked page .

Other Changes:

"Scan Exclusions" section has been moved from "Antivirus" section to under "Advanced Protection" and it also has a new tab for "Excluded Certificate Authorities" as may have been added to exception during certificate scan.

"Detect shellcode injections Exclusions" present under "Settings --> Advanced Protection --> Miscellaneous" has been renamed to "Disable shellcode injection detection for these applications" to reflect exactly how it is implemented.

Fixes:
- WDSC status bug as reported here has been fixed.
- If you update to RS3, firewall may not be fully functional and required system re-start as a fix. Issue reported here.

Changes in Secure Shopping (CSS):
This version installs new version of CSS as v1.3.427860.115 with following changes in it:

When CIS is installed, you will see Comodo Secure Shopping shortcut on Desktop. We want to highlight this great feature as user can use it as starting point for secure browsing.

When you launch Secure Shopping, you will see a welcome window. Please see enclosed SecureShoppingWelcomeWindow.png
This is to highlight benefits of Secure Shopping, with check box not to show again selected.

In standalone mode i.e. when Comodo Internet Security is not installed, you will see following changes:
We are avoiding alert model and now if you define a website in Setting, and if website is browsed in supported browser, it will be opened in Secure Shopping environment. Please have a look at enclosed CSS_Setting.png

Following bugs are resolved in this CSS release:
- Crash seen with take-on-mars
- Alert due to Logitech software

Online Setup:
Comodo Internet Security Premium

https://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/5060/standalone/cispremium_installer.exe
Size: 5.3M (5,498,704 bytes)
MD5: 8480d681cd5ab886934297a0129b9bb4
SHA1: 40b7221ae4ca7dad715d3248d2603f2d2d394a50

Comodo Antivirus
http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/5060/standalone/cav_installer.exe
MD5: 604a2afb9e42cf80f895bb663317a179
SHA1: 054b5abcd5d859c98e5ff93aadfc53675fa624db

Comodo Firewall
http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/5060/standalone/cmd_fw_installer.exe
MD5: 1ec3594678e9601ab3141b81155f3766
SHA1: 8cf8d8087ee5998b3cc7c44a499c2e1ea935ba87

Offline Setup:
Comodo Internet Security Premium (Firewall and Antivirus only)

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/standalone/cispremium_only_installer.exe
Size: 73M (75,511,704 bytes)
MD5: 8f5f179b846df5b38f9c93e82b39fea4
SHA1: 9a531094ed6ea90afd75c0b1f1d1590bfc9823cc

At the moment we have updated comodo.com for new installations, updates for older CIS versions will be released next week.

In case you want to update older CIS version via program update, please configure test server settings as shown in enclosed Test_Server_Update_Settings.png and you will be able to update to this latest version.

We are going to have continuous CIS releases down the road. Your feedback is very much needed.
Please stay tuned.

Thanks
-umesh

Attachments

• AutoInstallUpdates.png
    AutoInstallUpdates.png
    37 KB · Views: 655
  • AV_Optional_In_Offline_Installer.png
    AV_Optional_In_Offline_Installer.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 631
  • Blocked_By_WebFiltering.png
    Blocked_By_WebFiltering.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 668
  • CrashReporting_Alert.png
    CrashReporting_Alert.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 781
  • CSS_Setting.png
    CSS_Setting.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 694
  • Improved_Auto_Sandbox_Notification.png
    Improved_Auto_Sandbox_Notification.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 595
  • Improved_Unblock_Applications_Interface.png
    Improved_Unblock_Applications_Interface.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 651
  • New_Manual_Scan_Profile.png
    New_Manual_Scan_Profile.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 646
  • SecureShoppingWelcomeWindow.png
    SecureShoppingWelcomeWindow.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 612
  • Test_Server_Update_Settings.png
    Test_Server_Update_Settings.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 817
Last edited by a moderator:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Oh god, Comodo is still such garbage. Gave it a try on brand new clean Windows install...

- it failed to register with Windows Security center
- screwed up my Sound BlasterX AE-5 audio service so I had red cross over volume icon in taskbar on every reboot
- blocked AE-5's components without a single warning so I needed several minutes to even figure out what the F happened and why nothing works

I really have no clue what these idiots are doing, but they just keep on consistently failing. And I'm dumb enough apparently to keep giving a try in a hope they actually fixed anything...

EDIT:
And when that wasn't enough to flip me into rage mode, dumb uninstaller had to download their Cloud AV nonsense because I clicked Next to quickly as I was angry at the dumb CIS.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Oh god, Comodo is still such garbage. Gave it a try on brand new clean Windows install...

- screwed up my Sound BlasterX AE-5 audio service so I had red cross over volume icon in taskbar on every reboot
- blocked AE-5's components without a single warning so I needed several minutes to even figure out what the F happened and why nothing works

I really have no clue what these idiots are doing, but they just keep on consistently failing. And I'm dumb enough apparently to keep giving a try in a hope they actually fixed anything...

EDIT:
And when that wasn't enough to flip me into rage mode, dumb uninstaller had to download their Cloud AV nonsense because I clicked Next to quickly as I was angry at the dumb CIS.
The Windows Security center bug is fixed for some users (like me, for instance) but some beta testers reported that it is not fixed for them. Hopefully, next release will do better.
If something doesn't work, always check "blocked applications" and make the necessary adjustments. That's what it is there for. Best thing is to put HIPS and firewall in learning mode and reboot a couple times, when you first install it.
I am sure you know all this, but maybe it will help others.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
The Windows Security center bug is fixed for some users (like me, for instance) but some beta testers reported that it is not fixed for them. Hopefully, next release will do better.
If something doesn't work, always check "blocked applications" and make the necessary adjustments. That's what it is there for. Best thing is to put HIPS and firewall in learning mode and reboot a couple times, when you first install it.
I am sure you know all this, but maybe it will help others.

It used to work better than this in the past. And now that it's "enhanced" and "improved" it's doing this nonsense. Ridiculous.

Reactions: XhenEd

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It used to work better than this in the past. And now that it's "enhanced" and "improved" it's doing this nonsense. Ridiculous.
Well, the Windows Security Center bug is really just a cosmetic issue. It is not a real issue, because all it does is make Windows Security Center look ugly. It is due to changes in Windows 10. I think that all standalone firewalls suffered from this issue. (If you install CIS, no prob.)

The issues you are having with your audio system are probably because Comodo protection is loading faster than ever before, so it is blocking the drivers before the Comodo GUI finishes loading. Running Comodo in training mode should fix that. Just guessing, but I had a somewhat similar issue.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Now it decided to register with Windows Center. With mega delay. Sandboxed new Wolfenstein with mega delay as well. Not amazed. It seems like they are just shuffling things around and not really making anything better. I still can't believe they STILL don't have the ASK option for the stupid Containment. Cloud AV has it, but here, it auto sandboxes, you click Don't sandbox and then it terminates the app. Instead of ASK and then run the app if user confirms. I just don't understand their design logic, it just makes zero sense.

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
I think that little by little CIS is being combined with CCAV .. possibly to avoid server overload ..
I hope you improve your malware detection. It still lacks a lot.

The url broking by category and in the cloud is quite interesting.
eg: it should improve the detection ..
the detection by category would help as parental or anti-ad protection.

I do think that comfortable improves a lot in usability. Before it was more complicated but still lacks.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

EDIT:
Yeah, I just reinstalled CFW, and this time I am running it in firewall config, I have the audio service not running bug. And I can't seem to fix it. If I go into windows services, and stop and restart the service, it will run. It probably would also work to set the service to delayed start.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

EDIT:
@RejZoR, I must join you in your disappointment with Comodo. I tried the new version, and at first, everything seemed fine. But now I have reinstalled it, to make a fresh start, and for some reason, there is no end to the problems this time around. Same version, installed on same system. I can't figure it out, but everything goes wrong this time.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@RejZoR, I must join you in your disappointment with Comodo. I tried the new version, and at first, everything seemed fine. But now I have reinstalled it, to make a fresh start, and for some reason, there is no end to the problems this time around. Same version, installed on same system. I can't figure it out, but everything goes wrong this time.
It looks like most problems were caused by command line analysis for cmd.exe. When I disabled that, things worked much better. I think that Comodo protection is starting up earlier, and while it is still loading, it is not able to handle command lines properly, so it just blocks them.
If you are in proactive config, and you mark the two cmd.exe processes as "unrecognised" in file rating, and make exceptions for them in autocontainment, and have HIPS enabled, you will still have protection for them.

Reactions: XhenEd and Tiny

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I'm on Comodo Cloud AV now and it's also weird. It doesn't have retarded issues with sandboxed apps because it has a freaking ASK option which after 3 years of everyone asking for it they still haven't added in CIS (WTF!?), but it has a retarded habit of asking to sandbox things that file reputation scan doesn't seem to pick up for whatever reason. Not even full scan. All seems fine and trusted, but then it asks you to allow an unknown app. Why the hell it does all the ratings and scans and then still comes up with stuff. So annoying. I can try tons of apps and in the end I always seem to end up with avast! in the end. Even though we often disagree with design decisions, they at least listen. With Comodo, it's either talking to a brick wall or getting banned for expressing an opinion they don't want to hear...

R

Raka Daku

Thread author
Guys,
What are you running & settings...?

Win 10 Pro 64 Bits (Windows Firewall & Defender disabled in Group Policy).
I am running Comodo Firewall only i.e CAV not installed (Clean Install).
I am running Proactive Security, HIPS disabled, AutoSandbox set to "Restricted" & VirusScope set to "Monitor programs in Containment only".
No other realtime security software.

I have no issues.
I occasionally see red cross over volume icon in taskbar on system startup.. for few secs & automatically resolves i.e back to normal.

RejZoR,
Do you find programs start, install, etc little slow with CCAV installed?
Do you notice time-to-time high disk usage in task manager with CCAV installed?

CIS too, after Rating Scan, ask for unknown programs (not in Internet Security Config).
CCAV work like CIS Proactive Security Config i.e programs already on the system before CCAV install are not treated as trusted (only Comodo whitelisted/trusted programs).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am running win 10 pro x64 fall creators update
CFW proactive with HIPS enabled, paranoid.
Just now I experienced the "disappearing rules" bug. It seems to have been triggered in my case by logging into a second user account (SUA) and putting HIPS in training mode.
When I came back to my admin account, I got a flurry of alerts.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy
R

Raka Daku

Thread author
shmu26,
I don't use HIPS...

Did you checked the audio service not running issue with HIPS disabled? And set heur comand-line analysis to default (if custom).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
shmu26,
I don't use HIPS...

Did you checked the audio service not running issue with HIPS disabled? And set heur comand-line analysis to default (if custom).
Yes, I checked it with HIPS disabled, and there still was an issue, sometimes. It's all a matter of timing. If I wait a few seconds before logging in to my user account, the service starts up okay.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I am running win 10 pro x64 fall creators update
CFW proactive with HIPS enabled, paranoid.
Just now I experienced the "disappearing rules" bug. It seems to have been triggered in my case by logging into a second user account (SUA) and putting HIPS in training mode.
When I came back to my admin account, I got a flurry of alerts.
Told you, this is a bug by design, present since 10+ years, to fix it they have to recode the whole software and it seems they won't.

I dont use training mode anymore with Comodo.

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.