Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Comodo Internet Security vs Online Armor ++

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I would rather pick CIS as they improved from decreasing defense + popup and using AV for detecting the malware and sandbox for the unknown files.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I think OA needs to improve their white-list (Comodo did a good job on their side). Back in the days when CIS had no whitelist & no sandbox OA was better - pop-ups easier to understand, IMO.

But since I do not use payed versions of OA, I won't vote in this poll.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is there a neither? Internet Security suites are over-rated. (My opinion).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually before long time I try to install OA (firewall) and seems it worked fine and when it comes in wizard it made a big slow down even my mouse cannot moved.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most virtualisation software don't work on 64-bit and I haven't got money to spend on rollback software.

I could do disk images, but again I haven't got money to spend on an external hdd.

Also my important work is stored on my new 8GB USB memory stick as well as some on Windows Live Mesh 2011/SkyDrive.

(Student = No Money) :p

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
An external HDD is very cheap now a days. You can get a 500GB for $90. Dont think of it has money spent. Think of it as insurance. I love my Seagate FreeAgentGo.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Sorry for the bump...but I have an update.

I recently did a reformat (mostly for cleaning purposes), and decided to install Online Armor Free instead of CIS. I have to say that I am more impressed with the alerts from OA than CIS. It can run each program "Safer" (similar to CIS's sandbox or limited rights, I guess), is much faster at remembering decisions than Comodo (CIS would sometimes take 5 seconds to let the program run if I wanted the action remembered, so I wouldn't have to repeat it), and the alerts are a bit more informative. CIS would let me know about things like "hooks" and injections, but OA would explain each better.

OA also has a pretty good trusted list. Maybe not as extensive as Comodo's....but I think Comodo went a bit overboard and allowed some shady vendors.

Since I'm using the free version, I'm not sure about the paid ones (and if I'm getting adequate protection).

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I voted neither because I don't like security suites. They all have some of issues.
You can always get a better security setup by using an individual firewall and AV combos.

Even if the poll was for just Comodo Firewall or Online Armor Free, I would have still voted neither. Both have caused me too many problems in the past with bug issues. Comodo was one of my favorites in the past before v.3.0, after that it went south. Online Armor Free was really good until Emsisoft bought it, now is full of bugs as well. I don't use HIPS firewalls anymore, I like just the basic stand-alone firewall. I really miss Sygate Firewall, probably the best firewall that I ever used, too bad Symantec bought it then discontinued it.

Comodo AV detecting is lacking and Emsisoft AV is a false positive heaven however it does have good detection.

The only security suite that I would use or recommend is Norton Internet Security. It has excellent AV, smart firewall, Threatfire behavior technology, probably the largest whitelist for trusted vendors, very light on resources, no compatibility issues or bugs, very few false positives. It also has HIPS features that can be enabled in Advanced settings, disabled by default better for most users. It is an excellent product but is over-priced. Best of all is it is novice user friendly which is very important since they are the users who tend to unknowingly spread malware. No other security suite can compare.

Thanks.:D

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
new user said:
I voted neither because they are overkill. If you want heavy duty security, CIS is all you need, but I would probably not use it.

I see allot of people moving away from HIPS based products and willing to compensate by backing up regularly and lowering their security risk (exercise more caution when browsing and downloading apps, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.