COMODO Lite edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
This is written by vix123 at comodo forums, so all credits goes to him. This might useful for people who want firewall/d+ with no vendor list.

Updated for Comodo 5.10. Installation size is larger now because most files are no longer compressed.

This is a personal approach to using Comodo. It completely removes the antivirus files, disables automatic updates and prevents automatic sandboxing of applications. It's meant for users who only need the firewall and proactive defense. If you don't like configuring Defense+ and dealing with lots of pop-ups, stop reading now.

I don't like the Comodo Antivirus (never did and I was not happy to see it taking development energy away from Defense+) and I don't agree with the idea of trusted software vendors, especially on software such as web browsers. While a software vendor may be trustworthy in not taking malicious actions, their programs cannot be trusted to be perfectly safe from hacking which can then be used for malicious actions.

Internet Explorer is an infamous example as it has been used for many years by hackers to take control of systems. Sandboxing is not a perfect solution either; while the system may be safer, the overtaking of a application (most probably a web browser) is a serious problem which usually means tons of private data are in the control of the malware which hacked the sandboxed application.

Finally, decreasing the installation size of bloated software helps maintain faster backups or use it in portable Windows and small virtual machines.

Here is what I do to keep Comodo clean and neat without these features:

I extract the MSI installer. I did this by installing in a virtual machine and then acquired the MSI installer from my temporary folder. A better way is to use Universal Extractor according to VitRom's instructions.

Then I install Comodo from the MSI installer, unchecking the Antivirus option. I prefer maximum proactive defense. Then, before I restart the system, I delete everything in the Comodo file directory except for these:

Code:
themes\default.set
themes\notheme.set
cfp.exe
cfpconfg.exe
cfplogvw.exe
cfpver.dat
cmdagent.exe
cmdhtml.dll
COMODO - Firewall Security.cfgx
COMODO - Internet Security.cfgx
COMODO - Proactive Security.cfgx

In order to delete cavshell.dll you have to unlink its Explorer integration using Autoruns. You can also delete it with Unlocker.

Then I run Comodo (AGAIN BEFORE RESTART) and I change the Firewall rule for Comodo to a blocked application. (Comodo tries to connect to the internet even if all the cloud options are disabled.) Finally I uncheck (disable) the following options:
- Firewall / Create rules for safe applications
- Firewall Show Trustconnect alerts (both)
- Defense+ Treat unrecognized files (important to disable!)
- Defense+ Create rules for safe applications
- Defense+ Cloud lookups (both)
- Preferences Auto check program updates
- Preferences Comodo Message center
- Preferences Update

Now I can restart. The Firewall and Defense+ will work fine. Manual sandboxing does work if you need it (but you better use a virtual machine for trying dodgy stuff). You will be getting more alerts from Defense+ which is natural because software is now untrusted by default.

That of course kills updates (aside from the built-in Diagnostics telling you about problems in your installation) but I have always had bad experiences with Comodo updates and I prefer to do them manually after reading feedback by other members.

Standard installation size: more than 130 MB
After cleanup: just 23 MB
[/quote]

D

Deleted member 178

RE: COMODO

i will definitely never do that, a reduction of 80mb is not a big gain and there is other simpler ways to delete the vendor list (like deleting the vendor.n file); in addition my updates never failed. i will not suggest that to others CIS users.

darkelixa

Jul 3, 2011

Why would a folder installation size matter in todays world thou? Gone are the days of 30gb hard drives, hell i even remember the old 10 giga

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Have you considered that Comodo has become bloated over the months/years?

I still prefer Comodo, when it was still version 3.

+Rep.

D

Deleted member 178

honestly i dont think so, it has many interesting and efficient features and all of them combined uses one of the smallest amount of resources i ever saw.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011

there are some people how dislike and wants what CIS was all about, such as in v3. some still use v3.

Thanks for the rep Earth :) didn't expect any ^^

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
This would work out great for the Advanced Users out there since they know what they're working with, I'm using the full CIS suite since I find all 3 components to be working much better now, Specially CAV with its reduced database size, It's now much faster and with improved detections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.