Not open for further replies.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I have installed and configured CF10 according to @cruelsister 's guide, but it no longer contains .bat, .vbs, .ps1 files and the like. Previously I have tested the correct functioning of auto-containment by creating a simple benign .bat file with the content "ping www.google.de" and it was sandboxed upon execution. This is no longer the case.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Not true. Perhaps CF will allow innocuous scripts (which is a good thing) but it certianly still stops malicious ones.

For instance, 1). I have been playing around with a fileless, registry-only powershell malware that sends out locky, and all is still contained.
2). There have been an increasing amount of vbs malware lately, all of which are contained.
3). about bat files- Malware that throws off bat malware are still stopped, including one near and dear to my heart:

Malware scan of cruelsister's rootkit analyzer.exe (Cruelsister's Rootkit Analyzer) 95f9aa76edde6a23ce843c68b36b11eeb33183d3 - herdProtect

And if you want to test yourself, I've PM'd you with a script that really isn't malicious per se, but is a Pain in the Ass.

M

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have installed and configured CF10 according to @cruelsister 's guide, but it no longer contains .bat, .vbs, .ps1 files and the like. Previously I have tested the correct functioning of auto-containment by creating a simple benign .bat file with the content "ping www.google.de" and it was sandboxed upon execution. This is no longer the case.
There is a new feature called "embedded code detection", it triggers autocontainment, but only if the command line executes a file etc. For instance, I can open powershell and run the command "date", and it will not trigger autocontainment.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Perhaps CF will allow innocuous scripts (which is a good thing) but it certianly still stops malicious ones.

During its previous tenures on my computer CF always used to sandbox script files. Have there been changes under the hood in as to how script files are being handled by auto-containment? Hence I am wondering how it is going to differentiate between innocuous and malicious scripts? For malicious scripts to be sandboxed, doe they now have to be triggered by a malicious .exe file first?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
During its previous tenures on my computer CF always used to sandbox script files. Have there been changes under the hood in as to how script files are being handled by auto-containment? Hence I am wondering how it is going to differentiate between innocuous and malicious scripts? For malicious scripts to be sandboxed, doe they now have to be triggered by a malicious .exe file first?
If the script runs a file, that file will end up in the sandbox.
If the script does something more subtle, well, that's why we have HIPS.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
F TV- there was a time when stuff like a batch file restarting/shutting down the computer was allowed in default sandbox mode, but that time has passed. If you have a chance, try the old Hello World batch file:

ECHO OFF
ECHO Hello World
PAUSE

It should be contained on run no matter what sandbox level you choose. Is the the case on your system?

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
All script files are completely ignored by containment. I've tried VBS, BAT, PS1. These are my settings:

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG 5.PNG 6.PNG 7.PNG 8.PNG 9.PNG 10.PNG

Enabling / Disabling command-line analysis has no effect. I can even run .vbs files with mark of the web. I have tried this on two different computers now and it's the same on both.

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
What OS are you using? I've tried my suggestion to you on both Win 7 and Win10 systems and all batch files are detected and isolated. You really have to discover what is happening!

Shmu- if a script is in containment the HIPS will never react, no matter what the script tries to do.

Reactions: simmerskool

What OS are you using? I've tried my suggestion to you on both Win 7 and Win10 systems and all batch files are detected and isolated. You really have to discover what is happening!

Doesn't heuristic command line analysis need to be enabled ?

Heuristic command line analysis is not enabled in the GUI images. If I recall correctly, that setting parses for commandlines fed to cmd, wscript, java, javaw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shmu26

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I have found the culprit. I used to create a rule to exclude all applications from Detect shellcode injections because I didn't want the guard32 and guard64.dll injected everythere. With this exception enabled, even with heuristic command-line analysis, scripts are no longer contained. Now I've removed it and scripts are contained again. This exeption however has never caused problems in the past.

I have found the culprit. I used to create a rule to exclude all applications from Detect shellcode injections because I didn't want the guard32 and guard64.dll injected everythere. With this exception enabled, even with heuristic command-line analysis, scripts are no longer contained. Now I've removed it and scripts are contained again. This exeption however has never caused problems in the past.

That is an unusual protection dependency. Or an unusual settings logic - however a person looks at it.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The shellcode injection doesn't cause a lot of problems these days. I don't see people complaining about it, and when they do complain about some prob, disabling shellcode usually doesn't help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.