Advice Request Comodo run virtually or run in containment? What's the difference?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
From Comodo online help:

The options available under the 'Action' drop-down are:
  • Run Virtually - The application will be run in a virtual environment completely isolated from your operating system and files on the rest of your computer.
  • Run Restricted - The application is allowed to access very few operating system resources. The application is not allowed to execute more than 10 processes at a time and is run with very limited access rights. Some applications, like computer games, may not work properly under this setting.
  • Block - The application is not allowed to run at all.
  • Ignore - The application will not be contained and allowed to run with all privileges.
Choose the action from the options.

Auto-Containment Rules, Containment Security Software | Internet Security | COMODO

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
To add further to the confusion, you can run it virtually but with restrictions.

When you do that, it will show it running Restricted. But when you turn off the restriction it will say it runs "Fully virtualized". Talk about confusing language. So should I disable restrictions when I run virtually? I'm a new CFW user aswell and still trying to figure it out.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I might be wrong here, but I had the impression that running virtually means with the fewest restrictions but 100% recorded in the sandbox...every change. So you could still increase the restriction level on the program if you like but everything would still be recorded. If you choose run Restricted, I believe this means mostly that the application cannot do some things outside the container...however only what is potentially dangerous from the program is recorded to the container. Then the restriction level simply determines how much cannot be done outside the container.

This is 100% an impression that makes it possible for me to sleep. I have read the help but it's mostly based on 6 months use and some reading on the Comodo boards.

Somehow it would seem that running Virtually would be closely related to what happens with Virtual Desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.