Comodo's self protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
You can right click on Comodo and it will terminate the process, a lot of people moaned about this, but Comodo's response was the user can disable Comodo, but a virus could not. Whether this is true, is a different story, I have read on the forums, and was told by my friend who's a moderator captinsticks that Comodo can easily be terminated.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
You can right click on Comodo and it will terminate the process, a lot of people moaned about this, but Comodo's response was the user can disable Comodo, but a virus could not. Whether this is true, is a different story, I have read on the forums, and was told by my friend who's a moderator captinsticks that Comodo can easily be terminated.

This issue is over-stated.

Some malwares can disable any AV or certain modules - Comodo, Kaspersky, ESET, Emsisoft, etc, etc. The best the vendor can do against them is to detect them by signature...

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

K Atari

Level 2
Verified
Jan 10, 2015
I would not worry about self-protection too much. As @hjlbx said, there are some nasty malware that can disable almost any antivirus. In addition, some types of malware maybe able to disable Avast (just an example) but not Comodo, while others can disable Comodo but not Avast. There are just too many scenarios and types of malware to predict an outcome.

If you play it safe, you will never have to come across these malware. If you really have to visit questionable websites, just make sure to sandbox browsers and other unknown programs. There are great guides to setup Comodo's sandbox and firewall in this section of the forum.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
you have to take many factors to make a conclusion... remember that self protection doesnt work the same on x86 systems than with x64... that being said is more easier to hijack a x64 based product than a x86 one... however you can disable any AV by adding a debugging entry to the registry for any module of the AV... in that way your AV will not start next time :D I would care more about detection rather than selfdefense, although selfdefense is vital... there are easy ways to bypass those... is much better prevention rather than remediation.

Wisdom

Level 1
May 25, 2012
Is comodo's self protection good enough

Comodo has a good self-defense, because of D+ (I meant HIPS and Sandbox). D+ doesn't allow malware, known and unknown malware, to terminate Comodo's processes. all unsafe files get caught behind D+ Layer, and any unsafe activities to attack CIS, CIS processes, it's register keys, files, will be blocked.

Reactions: vivid
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.