Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'm on an old system and could use a lightweight AV now that my advanced System Care Ultimate trial has expired. I am finding Ashampoo Anti-Virus heavier than desired.

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
Storage
74GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 28 °C
3GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
119GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Anti-Virus
Ashampoo Anti-Virus

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Yes, I'm aware of Microsoft casting off XP. I have a lot on my plate now. I will be switching to a Windows 7 computer as soon as I can.

Reactions: nissimezra

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
1. Advanced System Care Ultimate - The antivirus they have fails.
2. Ashampoo has a antivirus?

I'd suggest getting avira.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Well Avast will give you less RAM usage but IMHO, Emsisoft will protect you better than Avast, especially on Windows XP (now when support has ended).
But, common sense, and both programs can protect you very well :)
common-sense.jpeg

Reactions: BoraMurdar

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Ashampoo AV is buggy and very heavy. If you're looking for light I would look at Avast, avira, Qihoo 360 IS to name a few. EAM is a paid product and the one's mentioned are free. In fact Qihoo 360 and Avira have great detection stat's. If you pair this with something like HMP alert and a good free firewall (comodo or OA) it should more than cover you.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

I think I'm OK in that department. I subject my downloads to scanning with Virus Total, Jotti, and my context menu's security programs. I keep a number of web filter extensions running. I scan my system with a number of programs, and I haven't found anything that was clearly malware on my system since Delta Search a year ago.

EAM is a paid product and the one's mentioned are free.

At some point I intend to get Emsisoft with the one month free trial and keep it as an on demand scanner once the trial is up. Maybe now would be the time, but I really want lightweight.

If you pair this with something like HMP alert

Have just brought that aboard at Cats-4_Owners-2's suggestion and am very pleased at its light burden.

If you're looking for light I would look at Avast, avira, Qihoo 360 IS to name a few... In fact Qihoo 360 and Avira have great detection stat's.

Yes, I have been really impressed with Qihoo's test results. I will surely give it a try at some point. I've seen a lot of tests indicating Avira is definitely heavier than avast. I'm not sure Qihoo is light enough for my current setup.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
You can custom install Avast only selecting "File System Shield" which makes it very light. You wouldn't really need to other shields anyway.
Avira Free is also light if you don't installed the Web protection. I haven't tried the new Panda Cloud but it ran very light on my older XP system. Why pay for an AV on XP? since it is dead.

Enjoy!! :D

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks for that info, Littlebits.

Webroot is the champion for light footprint, but my trial has run out. I like its impressive set of features, but the false positives keep me from re-enlisting.

What about Roboscan's system burden?

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Thanks for that info, Littlebits.

Webroot is the champion for light footprint, but my trial has run out. I like its impressive set of features, but the false positives keep me from re-enlisting.

What about Roboscan's system burden?
I have 3 dell's old laptop, using xp with mse with chrome and panda web filter. as long as auto update disable mse keep running find.

I think the other option is avast with just System Shield and web shield should be a good alternative.
as for qihoo haven't test yet but seems to offer very good protection

http://urlfilter.vmn.net/sbftest/

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Have you got the 6 month Webroot giveaway license?

I did have a 6 month Webroot giveaway that was associated with the Denver Broncos. (I wonder why Decker has chosen to catch balls from Geno Smith instead of Peyton Manning...) But it ran out.

I'm seeing that the user reviews for Roboscan are very positive. It combines the BitDefender engine with its own. I believe I'm going to give it a try.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I did have a 6 month Webroot giveaway that was associated with the Denver Broncos. (I wonder why Decker has chosen to catch balls from Geno Smith instead of Peyton Manning...) But it ran out.

I'm seeing that the user reviews for Roboscan are very positive. It combines the BitDefender engine with its own. I believe I'm going to give it a try.
Try Roboscan and tell me how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.