Advice Request Comparing set up of monitors - 49-in monitor vs 2x27-in monitors

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm thinking of using external monitors for my laptop/tablet. In future I may acquire a more powerful 17-in laptop for home use and my current super lightweight 17-in LG laptop for work. Likely will include this as one of the items into my 2020 resolution

My needs for the monitor(s) set up - For productivity work, surfing the net and light gaming

Shortlisted 49-in monitors are the LG and DELL. Manty reviews are available on youtube.

There a nice review here of 49-in monitors

FYI, the DELL is using the LG panel and both are IPS at 60Hz. Both can support the use of two(2) PC/laptops. But they do NOT have any freesync, adaptive sync nor G-sync support. They are not promoted as gaming monitors.

And given the available features for DELL like USB-C PD 90W and 5x USB 3.0 downstream ports it looks better than the LG. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with HDR support and no built-in speakers

The LG 60Hz isn't great acccording to the above review. It's PD is only at 60W. It has 2x built-in stereo speakers and comes with HDR 10

The youtube below shows you can stack two(2) 49-in monitor for the LG but not sure on the DELL

The specs for the DELL and LG can be found here

Note that it is not suitable for laptop use if it does NOT come with either TB3, DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 port because the 5K@60fps will not be supported

So, which is better?

Alternatively, I can go for 2x27-in monitors set up

Some PROS and CONS I can think of when comparing the monitors set up for 2x27 in vs 49 in

PROS of 2x27 in monitors

1) Can adjust the monitors to give better viewing angle
2) Can get those frame-syncing features, more ports, play more games with higher fps and resolution depending on the type of monitors you choose ie. you can choose the monitors of your choice
3) Cheaper even for 2x4K
4) If the monitors come with 90W PD then can power 2 laptops simultaneoulsy e.g. DELL UltraSharp 27 4K USB-C Monitor: U2720Q

CONS of 2x27 inch monitors

1) Messier due to more cables
2) Needs dual-power inputs
3) Not seamless as you can see the centre splitting line when the monitors are placed side-by-side
4) Not possible to operate one monitor-to-one laptop/PC for 2x27 set up together unlike you can connect 2 laptop/PC to the 49-in monitor and transfer files between them

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If you want to watch movies or play games, a large display is attractive. But if you're reading or writing text, it's probably more comfortable to look at a 24 inch display from a distance. You can adjust the font size, but depending on how the software works, the UI can be unbalanced.
If I were in your position, I would set up displays in front and back and use them together.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If you want to watch movies or play games, a large display is attractive. But if you're reading or writing text, it's probably more comfortable to look at a 24 inch display from a distance. You can adjust the font size, but depending on how the software works, the UI can be unbalanced.
If I were in your position, I would set up displays in front and back and use them together.
The DELL/LG 49-in monitors are suitable only for light gaming whereas a 2x27-in monitor set up allows you to choose the monitors you want for your specific purpose. The DELL/LG 49-in monitors are not promoted as a gaming monitor as they do not come with frame-syncing feature nor high refresh rate. The 49-in Samsungs and some others come with 120/144Hz, support freesync and are more suitable for gaming

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Agree with show-Zi, its big and it does hurt your eyes if you are sit on the chair in front of big monitor:confused:
The DELL comes with anti-glare coating and the LG comes with blue-light feature for eye protection. To use such large screen safely

1) One would sit at a suitable distance from the screen
2) Enable blue-light for eye protection if it has one
3) Enable Dark mode in the programs
4) On the room light
5) Dim the screen down
6) Take breaks in-between

The main advantage is you can open up 4 programs at the same time and work on them comfortably

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Why not get a custom PC instead of another laptop's display you won't use, since you'll have a single or double monitor set-up? Desktop PC's have different form factors too.
Yup, that's another alternative and more powerful than laptop too.

However, a laptop allows the flexibility to carry around.

But, first of all, I need to go to IKEA to shop for a large table.

The IKEA BELKAN 160x80 cm desk was recommended to me by a user of 49-in monitor in another forum. It can carry a load of 100Kg no issue and comes with adjustable height and a cable management net below the desk

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just tested my LG GRAM 17 laptop at the shop with a 5K monitor.

The built-in Iris Graphic Plus card CANNOT support 5K resolution due to its limitation. Max is 4K@60Hz only

You'll need dGPU which supports 5K to do that

There goes my 49-in monitor dream. Either I get it and run at a lower resolution or I can get the 2x27-in 4K monitor option using a docking station

EDIT

Apparently, there's a testing error in the store by the salesman. A re-test was carried out by LG after I requested them to perform it.

LG 49-in ultrawide monitor max resolution is 5120x1440@60fps = 7 372 800 pixels (same for DELL. ACER and SAMSUNG)
Intel Iris Plus Graphics Card max support is 3840x2160@60fps = 8 294 400 pixels

which means there's enough pixels for the Intel Iris Plus Graphics Card to cover the entire LG 49-in screen. Below is a screenshot done by LG

If the 5K monitor has 5120x2880 resolution then the Intel Iris Plus card will not be able to support that resolution at least not on my LG GRAM 17 2020

Example my LG GRAM 17 2020's Intel Iris Plus Graphics card is NOT suitable for the

LG 34'' UltraWide™ Monitor with HDR 600 (34'' Diagonal) whose max resolution is 5120 x 2160

This 5K resolution is a bit confusing for it can be

5120x1440
5120x2880
5120x3200 (max as defined by the Iris Plus Graphics spec as below for the Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 in the below link)

I suspect LG limits the display resolution on the LG GRAM 17 2020 to 5120x1288 because the new MacBook Air using the same 11th Gen Iris Plus Graphics card as my LG GARM 17 2020 is able to display 5120x2880 resolution

1595929116122.png

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Here comes the million-dollar question.

Is the 49-in monitor which supports 5120x1288 resolution even near future-proof?

Now such a monitor has 7+ millions pixels

Laptops which use the latest 11th Gen Intel Iris Plus Graphics card can support it (8+ million pixels). But examples of monitors like the

LG 5K2K 34WK95U and the MSI Prestige PS341WU offer 5120 x 2160 resolution, LG 27'' UltraFine™ 5K Monitor of 5120 x 2880 resolution etc all of which offer 10+millions pixels and the Dell UltraSharp 32 8K Monitor: UP3218K having 7680 x 4320 resolution with 33+millions pixels.

won't be fully supported by the Intel Iris Plus Graphics card. Also, the DP 1.4 spec is not supported by Intel's iGPUs. And more such monitors are on the way.

Many laptops and newer-ones-to-come have dGPU which can support higher than 5120x1288 resolution.

So buying the 49-in monitor with 5120x1288 resolution means it'll be underpowered when you have a laptop which has a dGPU and can support over the 5120x1288 resolution. 4K is no longer an issue nowadays as that can be achieved comfortably.

So looking just near ahead would buying such a 49-in monitor be wise if you intend to buy newer laptops? Trending technology this might not be a good investment neither is investing in 2x4K 27-in monitors after all

Last edited:
Reactions: Moonhorse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.