[*]uBlock Origin
[*]AdGuard
[/LIST]

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
I just wanted some more pro/cons to make an informed decision, I currently run the free one uBlock Origin, but if the paid one other has the numbers on its side I'll probably switch: what I need to consider is effectivenes and the ability to block new ways ads have to escape ads blockers.

L

Local Host

AdGuard Desktop is superior to uBlock Origin in every way, but your experience with either will define what fits your needs.

You can try the Desktop Client of Adguard for free and make your own opinion, I personally got a lifetime license and never looked back.

For starters Adguard will work across your system (won't be limited to your browser), even works on UWP APPs, which help with this recent attack, Malware Alert - Windows 10 Apps Hit by Malicious Ads that Blockers Won't Stop

Adguard also has advanced features to stop Anti-Adblock Scripts (it doesn't rely on rules alone), not to mention it won't be affected by whatever changes Google is trying to make with their Manifest.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If you want a fair comparison then you must compare Adguard Adblocker extension vs uBO extension

You shouldn't compare Adguard for desktop which is a system-wide app against uBO extension. Adguard for desktop has more features than uBO extension like

System-wide protection besides protection of browser
HTTPS filtering
DNS filtering
Block ads when watching streaming movies
Stealth Mode etc

I may be wrong. I think Adguard for desktop do not have an element picker feature, cannot add Decentraleyes rules, no fine blocking and you cannot add as many custom filters as compared to uBO

One last thing. I have not find filters that can effectively block phishing at openphish and phishtank for uBO

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No, cause Hard Mode on uBlock Origin will break most websites, while Adguard Desktop APP will remove the ads and fix formating. You have privacy options integrated into Adguard as well, if that's your thing.
Also, Decentraleyes rules can be added to uBO and uMatrix as stated below

You said it's possible to add to Adguard for desktop. Can the Decentraleyes rules work? Can add but cannot work is useless. Have you try?

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I switch from Adguard, uBlockOrigin, Smartadblock and Trace from time to time.

Trace needs tweaking and knowledge to really become an effective advertisement and privacy powertool. On the positive site its user rules are easy to grasp and powerfull.

SmartAdblock is set and forget. It is adblock and poperblocker in one. It also features nanadefender anti-adblock and cookieprompt killer. On some website it occasionally blocks to much.

uBlockOrigin set the new standard im content blocking. I would only use it as adblocker and disable malware blocklist and run it not in advanced mode,

Adguard offers also a privacy stealth mode, which has 30% of the capabilities of Trace. Adguards scriptlets are very powerfull and easy to learn with well documented examples, so also a joy for power users,

L

Local Host

Also, Decentraleyes rules can be added to uBO and uMatrix as stated below

You said it's possible to add to Adguard for desktop. Can the Decentraleyes rules work? Can add but cannot work is useless. Have you try?
I don't know what makes you think custom rules won't work on Adguard, in fact Adguard can be more powerful than the rest. You can read the documentation here, General questions | AdGuard Knowledgebase

Reactions: oldschool

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I use Adguard custom rules, they facilitate adblock rules and have very powerful special rules of their own (like CSS rules and scriptlets).

What I don't understand is that they reject most adblock user FILTERS (e.g Malvertising of Disconnect or free adblock format advertising blocklist of Squid) while on the same time allow uBlock enhanced rules (e.g. Redirect and uBo scriptlets). Why does a company writes special interpreters to process custom rules of competing aps and extensions, while at the same time reject user added blocklist filters with basic Adblock rules?

Does not make sense to me.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
My issue with AdBlock Desk (which I have 2 lifetime users with) is it cuts by 20 meg or more my download if I use any VPN - Without a VPN it's fine, using browser based blockers there is no issue. The problem occurs with just about any AV solution. I can replicate the problem on my lappy, (and this PC has a new mainboard etc from last year) if browser based blockers are virtually axed then I will have to deal with the speed drop untill then I'll use ublock.

L

Local Host

I have tried both and I find AdGuard AdBlocker slows down the internet.
That can happen with any ad-blocker, if you using to many rules. In my case Adguard doesn't affect my connection in anyway.

Not saying that's your case, cause multiple people make the same complaint about the connection speed, which is a shame.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.