Advice Request complement to WD

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is there something lightweight, that is recommended to use together with windows defender?

I am running malwarebytes anti-exploit
and I just now enabled MpEnablePus in WD, which is supposed to protect against PUA (at risk of FPs). I enabled it using the registry hack provided by secondmineboy -- thanks!
and I use MBAM free to run a scan every once in a while.

I don't need foolproof security; speed and responsiveness of system is more important. And I am not looking for software conflicts. I already had to roll back my system because of software conflicts, so I am trying to keep it simple this time.

windows 10 pro x64
chrome x64, with LastPass and uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere
Macrium Reflect

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I think you've partially answered your question. WD and MBAM is enough most of the time.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
WD is more than enough, in terms of RT.
Add in an on demand scanner to use it now and again and your sorted.
On a personal opinion note: I wouldn't enable the PUP option in WD. Don't really need to see the need when you have an On Demand Scanner at your disposal.

Reactions: Vasudev

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
what is the downside of the PUP option?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
what is the downside of the PUP option?
fp, like any other solution.

Sometimes legitemate non-pup are flagged, hence why fp being a thing (false positive).

The PUP option in windows defender is only available via registry modifcations for a reason: targeted at entreprises etc, not casual home use with the availability of on demand scanners etc.

Reactions: Vasudev

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
thanks
pup off
crystal security added, for on demand

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Crystal Security or SecureAplus are fine to intended to complement on Windows Defender. *

* SecureAplus has a minor issue to WD due to not activating the service, which can solve through registry hack.

Since you mentioned CS then better check out some tweaks that can enhance your user decision input.

Reactions: Kardo Kristal
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.