Advice Request Disaster Recovery Plan - Managing System Images

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm in the process of setting up the above. Note that it's for System Images only, no files backup/restore. My ordered HDDs will arrive somewhere end of the month.

1) Device: LG GRAM 17 10th Gen laptop with 1xTB3 port. Recently reset and is now sitting there waiting to implement the above.
2) ) Backup Hardware: 2xbackups with 2x4TB external HDDs. 2xG-Drive Pro with TB3 for daisy-chaining. WD G-Drive Pro 3.5” 7200rpm Enterprise-class HDD. Minimum HDD size is 4TB. 4TB TB3/USB-C 3.1 cw 2xTB3 ports (for daisy chaining), 250MB/s spec speed. From the net the actual speed is about 200MB/s
3) RAID Set up: None. Independent drives allow the troubleshooting of each drive’s physical condition and image integrity possible. Also, the risk of ransomware attack on separate drive is lower. However, it’s slower with manual backup to 2x HDD drives.
4) Software: Macrium Reflect Home
5) Images: Verified, encrypted, without compression and Macrium Image Guardian protected. Test restore of images to be done per cycle
6) Utilities/Browsers: All utilizing portables like registry/disk cleaners for general cleaning, on-demand AV/AM scanners, VLC player, SUMo, SumatraPDF, FreeTube, WinRAR, IDM, IrfanView, Revo Uninstaller Pro, Ungoogled Chromium/LibreWolf/Mullvad browsers etc

ALL utilities/browsers will be put into D: drive so backing up is NOT required

What needs to be backed up?

1) System (OS) backup without 3rd-party software except Macrium Reflect Home – 70GB
2) Backup with each new 3rd-party software installed
3) Backup installed 3rd-party software update, if any, listing the updates
4) Backup minor OS update

Images History List - This is just a fictitious list.

30 Jul 23 - OS Image 22H2 build 23621.1928 + Macrium Reflect Home v8.xxxx – 70GB
31 Jul 23 - Image w Shade Sandbox v8.xx
1 Aug 23 - Image w Mullvad VPN v 9.xxx
2 Aug 23 - Image w ExpressVPN v10.xxx
3 Aug 23 - Image w Norton AV Plus v17.xxx
4 Aug 23 - Image w OS minor update 22H2 build 23820.xxxx
6 Aug 23 – From here onwards image as and when there’s new software interim builds and minor OS updates

7 Sep 23 – Reset system and clean image with large OS update 23H1. Then reinstallation of 3rd-party software proceeds with new cycle

Estimated images storage size = 980 GB per cycle, assuming

- 1xOS large update (70 GB)
- 4x 3rd-party software installed
- 3x 3rd-party software updates within a 6-month period
- 6x minor OS updates
Total = 980 GB

If keep images for 2 cycles, Total = 1.96 TB

PROS
- Great for rollback in the event of a ransomware infection with malware removed
- Great for rollback if system is not performing normally
- Great for rollback if want to remove specific software and its registry remnants without dealing with messy registry cleaners which can never 100% remove all registry remnants especially for AV/AM software
- Since the laptop has only 1x TB3 port selecting G-Drive Pro allows daisy-chaining the 2 drives as each drive enclosure comes with 2x TB3 ports
- A 4TB TB3 G-Drive Pro is very much cheaper than a 2TB TB3 SSD

CONS
- Once rollbacked all OS/software and updates after the rollback date need to be reinstalled
- Need to pay for Macrium Reflect Home, 3rd-party software and 2xHDDs (TB3)
- Need to religiously follow the management of the images otherwise backups will be improper
- Since it’s system backup scheduling, automatic, differential/incremental backup not done for laptop as backing up is on adhoc basis
- Because HDD drives are used for backups the speed is slower

Any comments are welcome

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Overall, your plan seems comprehensive and well thought out. Here are a few comments:

1) Using independent drives for backup allows for better troubleshooting and reduces the risk of ransomware attacks. However, manual backup to two HDD drives can be slower.

2) Macrium Reflect Home is a reliable software for system imaging.

3) It's good that you are keeping all utilities and browsers on the D: drive, so backup is not required for them.

4) Your estimate of images storage size seems reasonable, considering the OS updates, third-party software installations, and minor OS updates.

5) The pros of having system image backups include great rollback options in case of malware or performance issues.

6) Some cons include the need to reinstall all OS/software after a rollback and the requirement to properly manage the image backups.

Overall, it seems like you have thought through the process and understand the trade-offs involved. Good luck with your disaster recovery plan!

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Overall, your plan seems comprehensive and well thought out. Here are a few comments:

1) Using independent drives for backup allows for better troubleshooting and reduces the risk of ransomware attacks. However, manual backup to two HDD drives can be slower.

2) Macrium Reflect Home is a reliable software for system imaging.

3) It's good that you are keeping all utilities and browsers on the D: drive, so backup is not required for them.

4) Your estimate of images storage size seems reasonable, considering the OS updates, third-party software installations, and minor OS updates.

5) The pros of having system image backups include great rollback options in case of malware or performance issues.

6) Some cons include the need to reinstall all OS/software after a rollback and the requirement to properly manage the image backups.

Overall, it seems like you have thought through the process and understand the trade-offs involved. Good luck with your disaster recovery plan!

It took me a few weeks to come up with this Disaster Rcovery Plan for System Images

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It took me a few weeks to come up with this Disaster Rcovery Plan for System Images
It's great to hear that you have put in a lot of effort and time into developing your Disaster Recovery Plan for System Images. Planning and preparing for disaster recovery is an important step in ensuring the security and stability of your system. It's commendable that you have considered various factors such as backup hardware, software, and the specific items that need to be backed up. Your plan seems well-organized and thorough. Keep up the good work and best of luck with implementing and maintaining your disaster recovery plan!

Reactions: HarborFront

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Your plan is comprehensive, effective and a lot of work.

Here is mine, not that anyone cares. Seeing I don't have a lot of programs installed or install new programs frequently I use Macrium Reflect and backup my C drive about every 3 months. All my documents, photos and music are backed up to 2 external hard drives and Sync cloud storage. Whenever I download new photos, documents or music I copy them to the external hard drives and Sync, this if infrequent. I also use Syncback Free to sync my documents, music and photos to my Sync folder every 2 weeks, this is not really needed but I just do it as there are times when I save a new document or two and don't bother saving to external drives immediately. So basically all I do is backup with Macrium every 3 months and copy any music, pictures and documents whenever there are new ones.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Your plan is comprehensive, effective and a lot of work.

Here is mine, not that anyone cares. Seeing I don't have a lot of programs installed or install new programs frequently I use Macrium Reflect and backup my C drive about every 3 months. All my documents, photos and music are backed up to 2 external hard drives and Sync cloud storage. Whenever I download new photos, documents or music I copy them to the external hard drives and Sync, this if infrequent. I also use Syncback Free to sync my documents, music and photos to my Sync folder every 2 weeks, this is not really needed but I just do it as there are times when I save a new document or two and don't bother saving to external drives immediately. So basically all I do is backup with Macrium every 3 months and copy any music, pictures and documents whenever there are new ones.

Firstly, this is for System backup and not for data backup. Data and cloud backup will come later once this plan works nicely.

Secondly, over a 6-month period, I'll need to test the plan as backup is on adhoc basis.............not those 24x7 hourly backup type. At any rate laptop is not suitable for the latter as it comes with a built-in battery as opposed to a desktop PC which has no built-in battery.

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Firstly, this is for System backup and not for data backup. Data and cloud backup will come later once this plan works nicely.

Secondly, over a 6-month period, I'll need to test the plan as backup is on adhoc basis.............not those 24x7 hourly backup type. At any rate laptop is not suitable for the latter as it comes with a built-in battery as opposed to a desktop PC which has no built-in battery.
I was just throwing in my 2 cents worth no matter how irrelevant it is. If your just doing system backups just use Macrium and backup however often you like, once and hour, once a day, whatever. What am I missing here?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You always have weird fixations on backup/rollback and this thread is no different 😀
Why is it so important for you every little change to be recorded. What’s wrong with system restore?
What every little change? You mean like 24x7 hourly update? I already said update is on adhoc basis

My estimate is 11x updates per cycle for 6-month period before MS will launch a new large OS update and with the few 3rd-party software to be installed.

This plan is for system image backup/restore(rollback). What's wrong with it?

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
What every little change? You mean like 24x7 hourly update? I already said update is on adhoc basis

My estimate is 11x updates per cycle for 6-month period before MS will launch a new large OS update given the few 3rd-party software to be installed.

This plan is for system image backup/restore(rollback). What's wrong with it?
For starter, why you wanna backup when new major OS version is released, when Windows will put everything in windows.old and you have time to revert to the previous system? Do you have like too much free time on your hands or something? 😀

Also, small updates in between the major ones, will you backup that too? Many can just be uninstalled.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For starter, why you wanna backup when new major OS version is released, when Windows will put everything in windows.old and you have time to revert to the previous system? Do you have like too much free time on your hands or something? 😀

Also, small updates in between the major ones, will you backup that too? Many can just be uninstalled.

When there's a large OS update I'll reset the laptop and start a new installtion/update cycle. The previous 1st cycle of backup will be kept. It'll be purged when the 3rd cycle of backup is in place so no need to have a large HDD

I estimate 3x minor OS updates and 3x 3rd-party software interim updates for a 6-month period. Is that too many?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
When there's a large OS update I'll reset the laptop and start a new installtion/update cycle

I estimate 3x minor OS updates and 3x 3rd-party software interim updates for a 6-month period. Is that too many?
Minor OS updates are every month though. The cumulative update is monthly and that same cumulative update for years has been known to break various Windows “things”. If you search the web you’ll see how many times it’s been discussed.
So this means in a 6 months period, you will need >6 system images snapped. Yeah, that’s a lot and even your enterprise-grade HDD won’t last you for too long.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Minor OS updates are every month though. The cumulative update is monthly and that same cumulative update for years has been known to break various Windows “things”. If you search the web you’ll see how many times it’s been discussed.
So this means in a 6 months period, you will need 6 system images snapped. Yeah, that’s a lot and even your enterprise-grade HDD won’t last you for too long.

Even for 6x minor OS updates a total 980GB backup for a 6-month period is a good estimate. My 4TB per drive for keeping 2 cycles of backups is more than adequate.

HDD/SSD is generally recommended for a 5-year use before serious bit rot sets in. The G-Drive Pro with enterprise-class HDD is by WD and has better reliability than Seagate drives

Last edited:

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I make a system backup with all data every week. Sometimes an extra backup before trying new software. If I don't like it, I restore the backup. If my system suddenly behaves strangely, I restore the last backup. I also go back to older backups if necessary. I make the backups on two external SSDs on a weekly basis. So far this has always "saved" me.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I make a system backup with all data every week. Sometimes an extra backup before trying new software. If I don't like it, I restore the backup. If my system suddenly behaves strangely, I restore the last backup. I also go back to older backups if necessary. I make the backups on two external SSDs on a weekly basis. So far this has always "saved" me.

I have thought of using faster SSD but the price is prohibitively more expensive than HDD...................out of my budget for the intended use

I'm planning for system backup only so no need of weekly backup but on adhoc basis when needed

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Nevi

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
What’s wrong with system restore?

From what I've read about it over the years, it's not as reliable as a good image/restore utility.

As Digmor stated, what the OP is doing does look like a lot of work. For my simple home-use needs, I cold image when I feel it's time, usually twice/month on average, using Clonezilla for Linux and Macrium Reflect free for Windows, saving the images to a 1 TB external hdd. That's it. Both these image/restore utilities are ultra reliable.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
What needs to be backed up?

1) System (OS) backup without 3rd-party software except Macrium Reflect Home – 70GB
2) Backup with each new 3rd-party software installed
3) Backup installed 3rd-party software update, if any, listing the updates
4) Backup minor OS update

Why not just:

1. System OS, all Windows updates and drivers only
  2. Backup with ALL updated 3rd party software

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.