Advice Request Backup and Recovery Tools with Built-in Ransomware Protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Are you using the Essentials version which comes with only ransomware protection? Or the more expensive version with malware and ransomware protection?
Using only the essentials version with anti-ransomware protection. :)
For both versions will the ransomware feature clash with your main AV/AM's ransomware feature?
No, it interferes with AV protection. (y)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Add one more

Retrospect Solo

Quote from link

Retrospect’s local anti-ransom features aren’t real-time like a true background anti-malware application. Instead, when Retrospect 18.5 starts a backup, it simply checks to see how much data has changed. If the number of new or altered files exceeds a user-definable percentage, it cries foul and alerts you; meanwhile not overwriting anything in an existing backup. This is referred to as anomaly detection.

Unquote

Ok. Not true anti-ransom. Still better than none

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Retrospect Solo

Retrospect’s local anti-ransom features aren’t real-time like a true background anti-malware application. Instead, when Retrospect 18.5 starts a backup, it simply checks to see how much data has changed. If the number of new or altered files exceeds a user-definable percentage, it cries foul and alerts you; meanwhile not overwriting anything in an existing backup. This is referred to as anomaly detection.
I have never heard of this product, I have used several backup products, and this one I did not know. My first backup program was Ghost/MS-DOS. It could be that I am misinformed or that I am living in the world of The Chronicles of Narnia. :LOL:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have never heard of this product, I have used several backup products, and this one I did not know. My first backup program was Ghost/MS-DOS. It could be that I am misinformed or that I am living in the world of The Chronicles of Narnia. :LOL:
I used Ghost many moons ago, I most vaguely remember running into an issue, but no idea what it was now. One of the best I used was from Terrabyte Unlimited. Last few years I'm using Macrium.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Acronis Cyber Protect instantly comes to my mind based on the headline of the thread. It does come with cloud storage but the price is not low. Another option is Defender + OneDrive. That offers file sync (not backup).

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, found the answer to my Q1

1) Which offers the best in reliability for restore?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Ok, found the answer to my Q1

1) Which offers the best in reliability for restore?

I read the link as far as Macrium "rock solid as ever" :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.