Advice Request System maintenance & system backup tools

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Wise Disk Cleaner is free, does a good job of cleaning junk files and fortunately does not include a registry cleaner. There are many third party defrag tools, but there's no particular reason not to just let Windows defrag your drives automatically.
Okay that means I don't need any registry defragment or registry cleaner ?

Reactions: franz

Berny

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2016
Also → AOMEI Partition Assistant (y)

AO_clone.jpg

Reactions: franz

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Okay that means I don't need any registry defragment or registry cleaner ?
Yes that's right. It is exceptionally rare for registry cleaners to fix any issues you are having with a computer and even rarer for them to make a computer run noticably faster. Aside from that at least 99% of registry cleaners have issues with false positives, which means that sometimes they will want to delete valid registry keys. Doing so, can sometimes cause problems.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Yes that's right. It is exceptionally rare for registry cleaners to fix any issues you are having with a computer and even rarer for them to make a computer run noticably faster. Aside from that at least 99% of registry cleaners have issues with false positives, which means that sometimes they will want to delete valid registry keys. Doing so, can sometimes cause problems.
Thank you so much 😊

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023

When I was using Bitdefender, it would find a conservative amount of "issues", Kaspersky is the same way. But I believe both still don't give any specific information on what it found and wants to delete. I had compared a BD Vulnerability scan compared to CCleaner and Glary Utilities. It was interesting what all 3 found (ran the scans one after the other). So I agree, unless you know what you're looking for, those utilities are overkill and you could cause needless issues if you enabled the auto delete.

Bitdefender 16 keys.
registry path.png
Glary 136
registry1.png

CCleaner 92
registry.png

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Many years ago I wanted to give Trusteer Rapport a try, it wouldn't install because it said I had some program on my computer which was incompatible. The problem is I uninstalled that program months earlier. I did a scan with a registry cleaner which deleted an orphaned registry entry that fixed the problem. This is the only time a registry entry gave me a problem.

The issue with these cleaners is that they all use different algorithms to clean, which basically means they can all be right or all be wrong at the same time.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
When I was using Bitdefender, it would find a conservative amount of "issues", Kaspersky is the same way. But I believe both still don't give any specific information on what it found and wants to delete. I had compared a BD Vulnerability scan compared to CCleaner and Glary Utilities. It was interesting what all 3 found (ran the scans one after the other). So I agree, unless you know what you're looking for, those utilities are overkill and you could cause needless issues if you enabled the auto delete.
When a registry cleaner does not show the registry keys it wants to delete, it is a cause for concern. While I have let Kaspersky clean the registry issues it finds, which are usually very few, I'd greatly prefer to be able to see what it wants to delete, so I can check for false positives. Almost all registry cleaners have issues with false positives, so even a registry cleaner from a trusted publisher such as a security vendor, may sometimes want to delete valid registry keys.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.