Complementary security for Avast IS 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
I might soon switch to Windows 8.1 x64 and Avast IS 2014. I was wondering if Avast's protection was enough or will I need additional security such as a HIPS as Avast doesn't have it. I also have WinPatrol Plus and am considering SpyShelter Free as it is a very good HIPS from my experience. Hoping to get some suggestions from you. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast 2014 hasn't been tested extensively, so I cannot say it's effectiveness.

However, with common sense and if you're not click-happy or absent-minded to UAC alerts, then using Avast on it's own should be sufficient.

SmartScreen has been implemented throughout Windows 8.x, so it adds a light layer of additional protection, but it's levels of protection for some users, are negligible.

Technically you shouldn't get infected with malware, but if the user is careless or not taking the necessary precautions then expect the worst.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Earth said:
Avast 2014 hasn't been tested extensively, so I cannot say it's effectiveness.

However, with common sense and if you're not click-happy or absent-minded to UAC alerts, then using Avast on it's own should be sufficient.

SmartScreen has been implemented throughout Windows 8.x, so it adds a light layer of additional protection, but it's levels of protection for some users, are negligible.

Technically you shouldn't get infected with malware, but if the user is careless or not taking the necessary precautions then expect the worst.

Very good answer. Thanks!

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
You could add Sandboxie Free Edition. That will button you up other than download risks, which Avast will protect you from. Also, as the above poster says, UAC is good to use too. Between the three of those tools, you will be in good shape. I would recommend HIPS or BB's, but they can be tedious and take around 30 days to get your whitelist in order so they don't harass you constantly.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Avast Internet Security has a sandbox that you can run your browser in. It also has SafeZone Browser you can use for financial transactions, shopping, etc. If you are using Chrome, it has it's own sandbox, so no neeed to run it in another sandbox.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Cannot get the site to load, but last I visited SpyShelter Free is compatible with 32-bit only.

nishadrox said:
Windows 8.1 x64 and Avast IS 2014. ... considering SpyShelter Free

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Earth said:
Cannot get the site to load, but last I visited SpyShelter Free is compatible with 32-bit only.

nishadrox said:
Windows 8.1 x64 and Avast IS 2014. ... considering SpyShelter Free

Yep. It's not compatible. Tested it on my WIn 7 x64.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.