Solved Completely uninstall Shadow Defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Completely uninstall Shadow Defender.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
revo
frst
Hello, yesterday I uninstalled shadow defend by force with revo. Turns out there's still the shadowdaemon left in my system and I can't remove it. I can't reinstall shadow defender either because it tells me I'm in shadow mode. There's also an orphan icon on my desktop that never fades away. Attached are images. Well, if anyone can help me out very grateful beforehand. Greetings.

5g2ccdA.jpg

5GYj5mr.jpg

ER7txC0.jpg

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Snickers102

Level 1
Verified
Jul 5, 2018
I suppose you don't have a backup? Have you tried searching your boot drive and deleting everything that includes "shadow defender" in the file name as well as in the registry?

Reactions: eonline
Upvote 0

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I suppose you don't have a backup? Have you tried searching your boot drive and deleting everything that includes "shadow defender" in the file name as well as in the registry?

I did do all that, but it doesn't work. Thank you.

Upvote 0

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Assuming you have rebooted your system... check your Windows Services... do you see an entry beginning with "{0CBD4F48-". You will want to stop/delete that service.

Path to executable... "C:\Program Files\Shadow Defender\Service.exe"

Reactions: eonline
Upvote 0

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I don't have that folder and I found that process in the regedit but after deleting it it regenerates. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
You must reboot after uninstalling SD. Have you done that? Shutdown (power off), then restart.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Open File explorer, click on local disk "C" click in the "local search "C" box and type Shadow Defender, remove traces from search.

Open Regedit: click "edit" then "find" again type shadow defender, delete traces carefully. I should mention you can toggle "F3" on the keyboard to move through all selections found in the registry once if finds the traces.

restart system, and try to install SD again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
uninstalled shadow defend by force with revo
In general, don't do this again.

Forcing removal of security software is always a risky and a tricky situation, since most hook into the OS. You should uninstall with the default uninstaller, reboot, then if available, a dedicated tool. Or manually remove traces afterwards. For non-security software, a third-party Uninstaller should work without many issues.

Now you have to manually remove all traces. Good luck.

If all else fails, Reset your PC (Keeping personal files).

Upvote 0

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I'm still in shadow mode so manual changes or deletions have no effect. Thank you.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Not sure you knew but I think if you have fast start enabled, SD will come back in shadow mode because windows does not completely shut down.

To turn off Fast Startup
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

To enable hibernate
powercfg -h on

:: To turn on Fast Startup
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F

Upvote 0

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I'm telling you, it's all taken care of. What I did was boot from a Windows 10 CD and run the bcdedit command to put the boot in safe mode, then I installed the shadow and then uninstalled it. Thank you very much for the prompt response. Greetings.

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@ticklemefeet is probably right about Fast Start. Anyway, when you can reboot normally to safe mode, the ShadowDefender driver will not be loaded and you will be outside the shadow mode.(y)

Edit.
I was too late and posted after the problem was solved.
Good work.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.