Computer won't boot after virus removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

aus1995

Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2014
Hello again,

I have 2 desktop computers. Computer #1 had issues with viruses and redirecting but has since been resolved by TwinHeadedEagle in post "can only operate in safe mode after virus removal."

Because I had the issues with viruses and redirecting on computer #1, I decided to run malwarebytes on computer #2 (Compaq Presario). Issues were discovered and removed. Hours later, when I came back to computer #2, I wanted to run other diagnostics but I could not get a response from the computer (power light was on but not responding) so I tried to reboot. The power light comes on, I hear the fans, and sometimes the hard drive light lights up on front but that's it. I've tried pressing the F8 key while rebooting but still nothing other than light comes on and hear fans.

I cannot verify the operating system information as the computer will not boot up.

This computer was running fine prior to running Malwarebytes.

I've read some of the guides on your website and I'm not sure if I should start the process outlined in the "How To Fix a Malware Infected Computer, section What to do if your computer cannot start" or do something else.

Also, I'm not sure if the problem is a result of viruses or if something else has gone wrong. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

aus1995

Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2014
Yep, we had great success in getting the first computer up and running - thank you!

Now on this one, nothing comes up on the screen it is completely black.

And, I was able to verify the operating system with my son - it is Windows 7, 64 bit.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Unfortunatelly I think this is hardware problem, and I cannot help you with that. You should take it to the repair shop.

aus1995

Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2014
:(

I did find a "backup recovery" disk we had made back in 2010. When I put disk #1 in and power up I hear a whirring sound like the disk is trying to be read. This happens 2 or 3 times before it stops. When that stops, the power light is on and the hard drive light flashes like before.

Oh well, thanks anyway for trying to help.

aus1995

Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2014
Thought I would post an update to my computer problem.
Great news!!! My computer is up and running. I am so ecstatic *ye% Everything happened so fast that I'm trying to remember what I did so that I can outline the resolution. Here goes:

I watched the video "What to do when your computer won't start" on the HP website. The only truly useful thing I got out of the video was to disconnect all unnecessary devices from the computer. All the other things he covered in the video weren't useful because they did not describe my issue. So, I unplugged everything except power cord, monitor and keyboard. I reviewed information outlined in other pages and found one that had instructions to "reset and update the BIOS." I was going to give that a try. Had nothing to loose.

When I turned on the screen, to start the steps, something different happened....the computer started up and the screen showed some text. Sorry but I don't remember exactly what came up but the option to run repairs or something like that came up, so I chose start and repair. Then the "startup repair" box popped up (I remember seeing this on other websites), so I selected "repair" with the last restore point. After a few minutes, everything showed back up as normal. Woo hoo!!!!!!!!

So, I've sat here and thought about this and the one and only thing I did differently this morning is to unplug everything that was unnecessary for the computer to run. Seems too easy now that it's fixed.

PS If this thread should be moved to the hardware/software section, please move.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
How you described your problem, I think the problem is probably with bad power supply. I am not sure, but I guess this could be the problem.

aus1995

Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2014
I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that the problem doesn't come back.

Right now, I haven't plugged any other devices back in. I'm checking for malware and viruses. Ran malwarebytes (8 PUP files detected). Ran Avast (3 high issues detected). Now running Avast boot scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.