Concern About Sharing Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2015
So, I don't want to ruffle any feathers and, yes, there is a giant red warning in both sections..but do you think it's wise to allow unrestricted access to the malware sections to anyone who joins? In my own personal opinion, I think there should be a separate process to access that area. I mean, no, you shouldn't be held responsible if some doofus sees the warning and decides to download or follow links to dangerous files regardless of knowledge. But, you could be. Laws are weird, especially these days. Mostly I just think it unwise to let everyone's grandma to have access to brand new, live bad things that could really ruin a day.

Again, just an opinion :) Your site, your rules.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Well it is pretty hard to miss the warning but I understand your concern.However restricting the Malware forum to certain members would not change the fact that these members also are vulnerable or might accidentally infect themselves.
The fact that these samples are shared for the sole purpose of testing,prevention,reporting and not malicious intent pretty much eradicates any legal issues.This also helps security software vendors.
Better to have these posted appropriately with certain guidelines and moderation in one dedicated forum than to have them posted in across the forum boards without any control.Those concerned about that particular forum should not visit it or open any links there but once again it can not be any clearer with the warning in place right now.
The other problem is permissions.First we would have to decide who is and who isn't allowed to view and or post in that forum.Then we would have to create a usergroup for that forum and implement the permissions for that usergroup so they could view and post in the malware forum.Most all forum platforms make it easy by allowing you to create certain usergroups and then adding their permissions based on that.Doing this individually would be a nightmare.
We have implemented moderation to those forums which means that a post has to be approved by a staff member before it is actually posted to the forum.This is by far the easiest and safest way to control the forum at this time.
Your concern is appreciated and as always with any suggestion it is taken into consideration and discussed.

@Malware1 & @MalwareHunter would be the 2 staff members that could further address your concerns

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
There is no way anyone could wade in and just accidently download a malware it would have to be a deliberate decision i think.

D

Deleted member 178

If they want it, they will use it whatever reason is behind that decision; then if they get infected by the samples they knew it prior of downloading them. And even if we restricted the access , they will find samples elsewhere on the net. so better let it as is it.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
D

Deleted member 178

Sometime it does. When you forget your are not yet in Shadow Mode and you played with the malware. Happened to me a few times.

bwahahahaha !!!! :D

qgYur.gif

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Discretion is advised, a warning is provided and if you take the risk then MalwareTips is not liable on any incidents.

You decide to click and expect if you prepare them incompletely, there are many rules to follow where first its samples are upload via sharing site with proper zip/7z format (password protected) and links are written hxxp:// to prevent active links present. (You should not be infected on the first place unless again you want to run then its up to you)

Malware hub is design for professional and enthusiastic users who willingly to analyze.

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Sometime it does. When you forget your are not yet in Shadow Mode and you played with the malware. Happened to me a few times.
LOL
You need a secretary/assistant to alert you behind your back while giving a massage ! lol

Reactions: WinXPert
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.