Troubleshoot ConfgureDefender - Core Isolation Windows 10

Elmo's Jackhammer 95

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Preventing registry modifications and PowerShell commands.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Whitelisted the commands in VoodooShield and checked AV for possible blocking but nothing in the logs.
Hi,

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this issue, but I'm having a problem with ConfigureDefender not being able to save the configuration settings as it's saying there's another security program preventing registry modifications or PowerShell commands.

VoodooShield was blocking at first but I allowed it through and nothing in my AV is showing up in the logs to show that it's blocking anything. I've done a reboot and tried again but receive the same message.

I was wondering if Core Isolation which is a built-in feature with Windows (not enabled by default) might be the root cause?

Thanks,
Looking forward to the communities insight :)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I was wondering if Core Isolation which is a built-in feature with Windows (not enabled by default) might be the root cause?
You make no mention of your current PC security configuration. Looks like you haven't edited it in a while.

Disable VS, change CD settings, hit Refresh and close GUI. Successful? Re-enable VS.

I've never known Core Isolation to interfere with ConfigureDefender settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Elmo's Jackhammer 95

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2018
Follow-up: I disabled VoodooShield > changed CD settings > Hit refresh but received the same error when doing so.

Also, I noticed this message when checking CD's info tab.

There's two snippets, hope it helps.
Info about defender.PNG
ConfigureDefender - Error saving settings.PNG

Upvote 0

Elmo's Jackhammer 95

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2018
I have no idea since I don't know this app or what others you may have.

Have you hardened your OS with Group Policy or some other method?
Here's the link to the app I was referring to: SharpApp | built by Bel ❤︎

Also, here's the snippet of the scripts running from it:
SharpApp - Applied scripts.PNG

Also, not to my knowledge have I hardened it through Group Policy.

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Also, I noticed this message when checking CD's info tab.

There's two snippets, hope it helps.
View attachment 245295
View attachment 245296
The first error is due to applying SharpApp restrictions (by the way, did you disable Microsoft Defender?).
The second is probably caused by some other security.
One cannot safely use SharpApp, because this application cannot restore the Windows default settings (big issue).
The advanced user can probably use PowerShell command-lines to revert the restrictions manually (much work needed).

Upvote 0

Elmo's Jackhammer 95

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2018
The first error is due to applying SharpApp restrictions (by the way, did you disable Microsoft Defender?).
The second is probably caused by some other security.
One cannot safely use SharpApp, because this application cannot restore the Windows default settings (big issue).
The advanced user can probably use PowerShell command-lines to revert the restrictions manually (much work needed).

Thanks for the insight, it's not a big issue for me as I'm using it as my main. (Yes I did)
I appreciate your help Andy!

Cheers!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.