Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Ok I recently updated my config, it was hard, once I find what works for my system and habbits I hate to change anything.
Anyway, VooDoo Shield "may" stay reguardless of any future changes, I added WinAntiRansom (trial) and I am concerned that it and VooDoo Shield may step on each others toes so to speak, is this a warranted concern ?
I removed Malwarebytes Premium in pursuit of my journey to a "minimalist" configuration. This too was a hard decision.
So currently my "real time protection config" consists of,
1> VooDooShield Premium (i do understand that with WinAntiRansom I could eliminate VooDoo altogether)
2> Zemana Anti-Logger Premium
3> WinAntiRansom (trial, may purchase Lifetime license on Friday April first)

Another question is, should I trust in WinAntiRansom enough to get over my dependance on VooDoo ?
I hope by April first as I mess with WinAntiRansom I will be more comfortable with it and more trusting.
What do some of the more experienced W.A.R users and members think ?
I await any and all feedback and Thank You. PeAcE

EDIT: I had to edit this, the way it was written made it look like I only had those 3 things in my config period, thats not the fact, those 3 are all I am using for "Real time"
I still am running MBAE, Adguard, Sticky, Ccleaner, ect. PeAcE

Last edited:
Reactions: shukla44
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

So currently my config consists of,
1> VooDooShield Premium (i do understand that with WinAntiRansom I could eliminate VooDoo altogether)
No AV?
  • Windows 10, 8.1 and 8 = Windows Defender
  • Windows 7 and Vista = Microsoft Security Essentials

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have tested WAR and have submitted my results to WinPatrol.

VDS is a godo addition. You could run both WAR and VDS.

I use Kaspersky now because of its rollback feature.
Also tossed in Cryptoprevent just to because my current OS does not fully support GP tweaks.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Tornado
No sir, no AV
I used to use Bitdefender.
I realize that mistakes happen but that's what VooDoo's anti-exe is for and I have paid versions Malwarebytes and Emsisoft products they are just not installed on this HD, on my clone HD I have Malwarebytes installed as I have not yet updated it.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

@Tornado
No sir, no AV
I used to use Bitdefender.
I realize that mistakes happen but that's what VooDoo's anti-exe is for and I have paid versions Malwarebytes and Emsisoft products they are just not installed on this HD, on my clone HD I have Malwarebytes installed as I have not yet updated it.
Malwarebytes is not an AV, only a second-opinion scanner and a companion anti-malware. It is not designed to be used on its own, it should be used with a proper AV.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks Inkurax, I was wondering if running VDS with WAR was a good idea as I am not that familiar with WAR, I gladly welcome any suggestions reguarding settings for WAR. PeAcE

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Tornado
I have not run an Anti-Virus for quite some time and I don't miss it. I love the speed and agility of my system, and at one time I had layer's of protection. It started to feel cumbersum keeping up with it all, so I started testing minimal setups a little over a year ago and haven't looked back since. PeAcE

Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

Ok I recently updated my config, it was hard, once I find what works for my system and habbits I hate to change anything.
Anyway, VooDoo Shield "may" stay reguardless of any future changes, I added WinAntiRansom (trial) and I am concerned that it and VooDoo Shield may step on each others toes so to speak, is this a warranted concern ?
I removed Malwarebytes Premium in pursuit of my journey to a "minimalist" configuration. This too was a hard decision.
So currently my config consists of,

Another question is, should I trust in WinAntiRansom enough to get over my dependance on VooDoo ?
I hope by April first as I mess with WinAntiRansom I will be more comfortable with it and more trusting.
What do some of the more experienced W.A.R users and members think ?
I await any and all feedback and Thank You. PeAcE

WinAntiRansom is not a replacement for VooDooShield; VS provides additional protections. The new Ai, local Sandbox, Cuckoo Sandbox, control of processes system-wise,...

There is always potential for conflict between WAR and VS, but unlikely.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks hjlbx, I don't know a lot about WAR so I was unsure. PeAcE

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
WinAntiRansom definitely helpful if you engage in those ransomware incidents but other than that, Voodoshield is fine with your current AV to focus on other common threats.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
WARlike any other antiransome will not detect all. I have given all the necessary info to winpatrol for at least one of the tesla variants. If you checked the last time I got infected thread you will understand.

For those users who claim without Av the system is responsive I'm using kav which has improved system impact by a mile and I can say I do not notice any difference with or without it aside from additional protection modules which were not present previously.

When I tested war I used the original install and config recommendation listen in a pdf

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have A premium Emsisoft product as well as lifetime MBAM on standby if needed, as well as a clone HD so I am not at much risk.
I would not advise the average PC user to "PC" around with their PC half naked, but i'm ok. rofl :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yeah, it's sad to see that happen, I followed the posts you made after the incident.
I like to beta test software and games, but not samples :)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I still test software etc but officially retired from malware testing and other stuff related to it.
I did plug more holes in my system just didn't list them all in my config. One example is the default cryptoprevrnt policy. I also run heidmal pro. I'm still tweaking my system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.