Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Hi,

In latest update for windows
August 30, 2019—KB4512941 (OS Build 18362.329)

Many improvements/fixes for Windows Defender

But issues with this update ?

Could be interesting for ConfigureDefender ?

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi,

In latest update for windows
August 30, 2019—KB4512941 (OS Build 18362.329)

Many improvements/fixes for Windows Defender

But issues with this update ?

Could be interesting for ConfigureDefender ?
Thanks. The above should not be related to the WD settings made via ConfigureDefender.(y)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
From time to time some people are trying to test WD Network Protection and sometimes fail for some reason. This feature works independently of any web browser - it is not the web browser extension. Here is a direct link to test it: SmartScreen Test
After using this link with active Network Protection, WD shows the alert:
WDNP.png

I have just tested it by using Firefox portable on the above demo link and on the real phishing link. Works well on Windows ver. 1903 Home and Pro.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
From time to time some people are trying to test WD Network Protection and sometimes fail for some reason. This feature works independently of any web browser - it is not the web browser extension. Here is a direct link to test it: SmartScreen Test
After using this link with active Network Protection, WD shows the alert:
View attachment 222979

I have just tested it by using Firefox portable on the above demo link and on the real phishing link. Works well on Windows ver. 1903 Home and Pro.

Yes, I saw a post like that today. No understanding ... :barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Did you use this link:
@Andy Ful I tested Network Protection with Brave Beta and did not get the Windows notification.
Did you use this link: SmartScreen Test

Edit.
I have just tried this link with Brave - connection blocked by WD Network Protection.
Brave have shown the error page starting with the below text:
Access to hxxps://smartscreentestratings2.net/ was denied ...

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have tried to open the demo link on Brave beta - blocked by WD Network Protection and Brave beta have shown another error alert:
This site can’t provide a secure connection
smartscreentestratings2.net uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I also used the old phishing link - blocked by WD Network Protection with another alert in Brave beta:
Access to earthlifebalance.com was denied
You don't have authorization to view this page.

HTTP ERROR 403

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@oldschool,
try to reboot the computer and next run ConfigureDefender to see if Network Protection is ON.

Network Protection still on. Test result the same.

Hmmm, I previously used Defender Control to turn off WD. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? :unsure:

Maybe uninstall H_C and separate ConfigureDefender and reinstall CD? :unsure:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Network Protection still on. Test result the same.

Hmmm, I previously used Defender Control to turn off WD. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? :unsure:

Maybe uninstall H_C and separate ConfigureDefender and reinstall CD? :unsure:
Hmm try that. Restore everything to default. Restart your pc then apply everything again, restart again and see what happens.

Reactions: shmu26

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes, this is the source of your problem. No need to reinstall H_C. You have to enable WD (via Defender Control) and reboot the computer. Sometimes the Network Protection needs some time to activate (more reboots).

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes, this is the source of your problem. No need to reinstall H_C. You have to enable WD (via Defender Control) and reboot the computer. Sometimes the Network Protection needs some time to activate (more reboots).

Tried that, and I checked Get-MpPreference and see Network Protection enabled. Same result and still no notification. No matter, I have Traffic Light installed on Brave.:barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
WD's network protection is very unstable. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. It did work for me but not always. I have never seen it blocking anything in my HUB test
it needs a proper fix so it will work for everyone. Still, it's an experimental feature so users have to enable it using powershell or ConfigureDefender

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Is this issue only happening on Brave and no other browser?
https://malwaretips.com/threads/configuredefender-utility-for-windows-10.79039/post-832055

WD Network Protection works differently from browser extensions. It rarely blocks the domain. It usually blocks only the malicious element embedded in the website. Many websites load something only when you explicitly click on it, or try to put login password, etc. So, to test properly WD Network Protection you must click everything on the website. Most web browser extensions will simply block the website when you open it. In this way, you get less false positives.

Here is my old test:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/upd...ison-malwares-and-phishings.80915/post-764710

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.