Update ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10

Andy Ful

Level 73
Verified
Trusted
Developer
Dec 23, 2014
Is it possible to update CD by downloading the latest version and replacing the one in H_C?
It is possible (not recommended), but the H_C must be run without the -p switch. The standalone version of ConfigureDefender uses the "Windows\Temp" folder for intermediate files and the execution from this folder is usually blocked by H_C. Without the -p switch, the H_C does not block processes executed with high privileges, so the standalone version of ConfigureDefender will not be blocked too.
Of course, one has to rename the standalone version and use the file name from the H_C installation.

SeriousHoax

Level 39
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
Hi! @Andy Ful. Does the network protection feature reduce web browsing performance? Have you ever noticed anything? I see that during heavy downloads, the network protection related process uses 2-5% CPU constantly. I don't know if it slows down anything like downloading or browsing speed. AV-Test and MRG-Effitas tests web browsing speed delay caused by an AV. AV-Test also tests downloading time. Microsoft Defender is usually always the fastest in those test. But that's in default settings where the network protection feature is off, unlike Configure Defender at High where it's enabled. So I'm just curious what sort of impact it has. Is there any way to test it? I don't know how AV-Test and MRG test this.

Andy Ful

Level 73
Verified
Trusted
Developer
Dec 23, 2014
Hi! @Andy Ful. Does the network protection feature reduce web browsing performance? Have you ever noticed anything? I see that during heavy downloads, the network protection related process uses 2-5% CPU constantly. I don't know if it slows down anything like downloading or browsing speed. AV-Test and MRG-Effitas tests web browsing speed delay caused by an AV. AV-Test also tests downloading time. Microsoft Defender is usually always the fastest in those test. But that's in default settings where the network protection feature is off, unlike Configure Defender at High where it's enabled. So I'm just curious what sort of impact it has. Is there any way to test it? I don't know how AV-Test and MRG test this.

Network protection should not have an impact on the download speed of big files. But, it can have some impact on browsing (like any such feature). Anyway, I do not see any visible impact on my computers.
The potential impact is not related to CPU, but rather to the number of links that have to be checked when opening a website or web application.

Edit.
It is not easy to test it, because the same website can open differently at different times. If you have a stable Internet connection then you can make a test by opening a complex website 10 times at random moments during a day with enabled NP, and next repeat this test with disabled NP. Then repeat these tests a few times.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
A question from Krusty at Wilders:
I just uninstalled KSC to test something and when I try to run Configure Defender I get this:

Configure_Defender.PNG

Any ideas? I've disabled OSA, BlackFog Privacy and even Hard_Configurator, all with no help.

OT: Web pages open way faster in Firefox without KSC installed.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
A question from Krusty at Wilders:

The issue is resolved by a repair installation of Windows 10 21h2, but was that necessarily?
I have an update though. A clean install of Windows 10 21h2 was a consideration, however I decided on a slightly less painful repair installation. Basically in in-place upgrade using the ISO to 'upgrade' the machine. The result of that was that I can now open Configure Defender. Clearly something was a little messed up with my installation but it appears to be resolved now.

Andy Ful

Level 73
Verified
Trusted
Developer
Dec 23, 2014
It looks like the PowerShell execution was restricted by something. The AVs can restrict the execution of PowerShell by other applications. This is usually done by some HIPS or ATP features. If these restrictions can survive after uninstalling the AV then we have a problem. The incomplete uninstallation can be related to the presence of other security applications.
The H_C can run ConfigureDefender flawlessly (from the H_C GUI) even when PowerShell is blocked by <Blocked Sponsors>. Unfortunately, Krusty has used too many security applications, so I cannot be sure what was the reason. I did not hear that KSC could produce such an issue after normal uninstallation, but if I find some time I will test KSC today.(y)

Edit.
Test done. I did not find a problem with KSC and H_C (including ConfigureDefender).

Last edited: