Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hi all!
Yesterday, my brother and I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and everything went fine. Now I have one problem which I can't solve. On Windows 7 in File explorer, under Network, I had list of devices connected to internet (my network) and I could normally access them and share files. After upgrade, desktop PC can view all the devices and connect to them just fine but my laptop can't. I can't see any devices under Network, not even my laptop.

Network discovery is turned on on both, PC and laptop. All services are running normally and set on Automatic. Troubleshooting cannot identify any problems whatsoever.

Screenshot_1.png

It's important to me to see the devices because I often share some files between them.

Thanks everyone! :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Windows 10 removed this and can only share files in the specific sharing folders.
I suggest setting up Dropbox on both computers.
How did they remove that option when I can normally access my laptop from PC which is using Windows 10 as well? :D

Btw Dropbox Free is limited to 2 GB. Sometimes I share files bigger than 5 GB between PCs.

Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Well I could never get this to work, but I guess there is a way.
Sorry mate.
I heard that Network discovery sometimes work and sometimes don't on Windows 10 but apparently, there is a way to make it work. I searched the web and didn't find any working solution for my problem. I'm still searching for solution so if I found something, I'll post it here. :)

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Make sure both computers are set as Private Network under Windows Firewall (via Control Panel).
upload_2017-6-9_11-17-51.png

Dropbox is limited by it's initial very low storage allowance.
Box for Individuals - 10GB storage with 250MB upload file limit
Plans and Pricing | Box

Formally known as BitTorrent Sync, you can try Resilio Sync Home - the fast and secure way to get all your files on all your devices. Free to download and use, but Pro features require a one-time purchase ($60 to $100). There may be open-source versions available with some research:
Example: Librevault - unstable build

Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Found partial solution. Now I can see my laptop, but not other PCs. This is ridiculous. :D

Screenshot_1.png

I needed to set following services to Automatic; and restart laptop.
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication
  • SSDP Discovery
  • UPnP Device Host
@Spawn My laptop is already set as Private network. I don't know how is set on desktop PC (can't check it currently, brother is using it). I'll check it later. :)

Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_3.png

Upvote 0

In Windows 10 you must go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi > double-click on the Connected Network under the Wifi ON toggle switch > Make PC Discoverable > ON

It's an unobvious way to access the setting below because most people would not think to double-click on the connected network

Capture.PNG

Using the Network & Sharing Center or turning on Network Discovery via the Network folder does not always work correctly

Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
In Windows 10 you must go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi > double-click on the Connected Network under the Wifi ON toggle switch > Make PC Discoverable > ON

View attachment 154799

Using the Network & Sharing Center or turning on Network Discovery via the Network folder does not always work correctly
It's turned on on both PCs. That's the first thing I checked.

@Spawn Checked on desktop PC, it says Private network.

Upvote 0

This is ridiculous. :D

This is what you get with Windows networking.

Those services you needed to start should not have been disabled in the first place - that is typically seen only on Server versions of Windows.

If you did not do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, but instead upgraded in-place over top of Windows 7, it can cause unexpected issues. It might have something to do with it or it might not. Impossible to say.

Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Guys, guess what. Desktop PC appeared but now is missing Public folder from it and I don't have folder from other user. I'll survive without Public folder, the most important thing is that I can see now other PC. I don't know what happened but I hope it stays that way. I'll restart PC to see if it stays. :D

Screenshot_4.png

I would check in your adapter properties to verify that NetBIOS over TCP\IP is enabled.

You probably verified that DNS service is running.
Both are enabled on both PCs. ;)

Upvote 0

You will have slow network discovery if you have a shared physical printer while it is turned off. Switching to a virtual printer sometimes makes network discovery much faster.

Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Apparently, Windows 10 won't show other devices under Network if they don't have password on user account. :)

Workaround is to create network drive (This PC -> Computer -> Add a network location -> \\COMPUTER-NAME\Users) and that's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.