Consider a pie chart for poll results

Would you like a pie chart next to the results?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darlene

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
Capture.PNG

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I see the results of a poll and do the math in my head on percentages.
The visual "for me" just isn't needed, even a simple chart takes up more room
and resources than posting the numbers.
It looks cool though, but just isn't practical.
I hope that made sense.
Remember, It's only my opinion ;)
PeAcE

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It would look nice but it would require a mod to the forum software(if there is one) or some custom coding. Polls are built into the Xenforo platform and it seems to do the job fine as it is now as the percentages are displayed and updated as members vote.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
My opinion: OK a pie chart is not really necessary... but i'm fan of "design", graphics and visual effects threfore i think
a chart pie should look "nice" in polls

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My Answer is going to be a little complicated,as I could have voted both Yes and No....

If the question is pertaining to having a "pie chart" option within the current format of the site then I think -NO:

Because....
I would personally become a little too "attached" to the threads that I made if they were as visually attractive as I would like them to be.
I mostly use the "What's New?" page to discover the latest posts and threads,and sadly this has only 20 items per page..
Since joining MT I have found that those that use this page as well will generally only advance to perhaps page 2 or 3 of the section...
meaning that....a Maximum of 60 threads are likely to remain actively used at any time..
There are also often over 15 new threads created per day..
This means that there is a high probability that a thread (regardless of how good it looks,or the time spent creating it) will pretty much disappear from memory within a maximum of 3-4 days.
I would personally find it sad that something that I had spent a lot of time on and made to look cool would disappear so fast.

If the question is pertaining to having a "pie chart" option within a newly designed format then I think -YES:

MalwareTips is an attractive site,but ...
Personally I would like the "Whats New?" page to have multiple different tabs across the top like a browser..
These multiple tabs (maybe 12...and colour coded) would have 50 items per page rather than the existing 20...
This way there would be many more "current threads" to view...and a thread that had taken a long time to create,or was made to look really cool,would stick around for long enough to justify the time and effort spent on it.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
My opinion: OK a pie chart is not really necessary... but i'm fan of "design", graphics and visual effects threfore i think
a chart pie should look "nice" in polls
The big pb would be .... the colors used ! Every body would want its favorite colors :rolleyes:

My Answer is going to be a little complicated,as I could have voted both Yes and No....

If the question is pertaining to having a "pie chart" option within the current format of the site then I think -NO:

Because....
I would personally become a little too "attached" to the threads that I made if they were as visually attractive as I would like them to be.
I mostly use the "What's New?" page to discover the latest posts and threads,and sadly this has only 20 items per page..
Since joining MT I have found that those that use this page as well will generally only advance to perhaps page 2 or 3 of the section...
meaning that....a Maximum of 60 threads are likely to remain actively used at any time..
There are also often over 15 new threads created per day..
This means that there is a high probability that a thread (regardless of how good it looks,or the time spent creating it) will pretty much disappear from memory within a maximum of 3-4 days.
I would personally find it sad that something that I had spent a lot of time on and made to look cool would disappear so fast.

If the question is pertaining to having a "pie chart" option within a newly designed format then I think -YES:

MalwareTips is an attractive site,but ...
Personally I would like the "Whats New?" page to have multiple different tabs across the top like a browser..
These multiple tabs (maybe 12...and colour coded) would have 50 items per page rather than the existing 20...
This way there would be many more "current threads" to view...and a thread that had taken a long time to create,or was made to look really cool,would stick around for long enough to justify the time and effort spent on it.
Interesting arguments / ideas ! :)
(But I think there is no need of a pie chart, I hate them, they are bad !)

Last edited by a moderator:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
This is a really good idea. I had suggested before to auto-order polls in descending order depending on the number of votes, so that it's easier to make out which came out first, second, etc....

Adding a piechart is cool, but at the same time, it should be small enough to fit and can be easily understood.

Reactions: Darlene
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.