Consider Disabling Attachment Preview & Reading Preview panes in Outlook for added security (0-days)

Are you considering this? Is it necessary in the current climate?

• Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disable Attachment Preview

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Disable Reading Pane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a significant inconvenience

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Securing Microsoft Outlook on the Windows PC (may also be applicable for Mac users).

I am unaware of any currant threats against Outlook Desktop Client, however: With all of the current threats, especially spam, Ransomware, malicious documents, .zip attachments, and even iframes and JavaScript propagating Ransomware and Malware, have you considered disabling both the Attachment Preview and/ or the Reading Pane (The part generally on the right side where you can view the message without double-clicking the message to open. That way, if you are unsure of the sender, you can move it to Junk before opening. I have done out of caution.

There have been 0-days before and they are likely to be a problem in the future as both Internet Explorer, Office and I believe Windows all have OLE integrated in them. It's also wise, as when you Open Outlook and it downloads messages, what happens if the last message it downloads is malicious and you have both the Attachment Preview and Reading Pane enabled? The email will displayed, possibly the attachment previewed (within a sandbox of some sorts such as IE). There is a potential for exploitation.

The links below offer instructions if you choose to take this precaution.

Previewing Attachments - Microsoft Office Support

Reading Pane On/Off - Microsoft Office Support

For users of Outlook Web App (Browser version)

Previous Patched Vulnerability -RCE:
Outlook “letterbomb” exploit could auto-open attacks in e-mail
(From 12/2015)

Other Sources:
View and edit an attachment in Outlook Web App - Outlook

Turn the Reading Pane on and off - Outlook

Preview attachments - Outlook

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This is an ever mounting concern for me because of the fact I now use my outlook & hotmail accounts with greater frequency on the Windows app as well as through :eek:IE & Edge.:oops:
I'm going to close down those preview panes!:cool:
Thank you for this wakeful:confused: security reminder @soccer97.:)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Agreed,
Besides disabling most scripts from running on my system I also disable "Attachment Preview"
It does pose a relevant security risk in todays environment.
My vote was "Yes" & Disable Attachment Preview
PeAcE

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.