Advice Request Constant updates

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F 4 E

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
Hi, all. Long time Android user considering an iPhone SE 2020, as I don't want a phone with a 6.5 in screen.
Just too big to fit comfortably in a shirt pocket.
A big gripe is that with Android One, I'm getting apps updated almost daily and often between 8 and 10 each time.
Getting a bit sick of Google tbh, and wonder if Apple has a similar system and are their app updates generally fewer in number ?

Reactions: Cortex

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
You can disable auto updates for apps you don't want to update. Open app description page in play store, click 3 dots menu on upper right side and uncheck "Enable auto update". You have to do this for each app you don't want to auto update. There's also an option to disable auto updates for all apps in play store settings..

F 4 E

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
Catch 22 I guess, but I suppose we need to keep up with the security updates rather than the generic "We have made the app more pleasant for you to use" crap !

I have Auto Updates disabled in the Play Store, but just a tad tired of apps being updated just because they can be !

Reactions: Cortex

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
same for ios. App updates are everyday
on ios, updates are more silent in background. There is an option to turn it off
on ios, I found app update is much more problematic than on android. After an update, occasionaly, the app won't be able to open anymore. I've seen this frequently especially when we have old ios version -> reinstallation sometimes doesn't work

I simply turn off app or OS updates. I will manually do it when I want because frequent app update, in a rare case, you will receive a bad update -> you can't revert to an older version on ios but you can on android

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reduce the number of apps installed based on your usage.

Beta and Preview apps may receive more frequent daily updates, as they're not intended to be stable. You can unsubscribe from them in the Play Store settings,and will need to uninstall, for the stable release version.

Apps can be updated in the background, or set to download/update over Any network (data charges may apply), WiFi only, or turned off.

Google removed the notification for updated apps, but there were reports it could be returning. In my opinion, the "x was updated" would be annoying than silent background updates.

iOS and Android, both receive app updates based on number of apps installed.* If low on space or based on settings, the OS or you can uninstall apps without deleting user data. (Can't remember the name of feature).

iOS may receive 5 years of OS updates. Will that be an issue?

Are you on a limited mobile data plan?

Correction: *and frequency of developer updates.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If low on space or based on settings, the OS or you can uninstall apps without deleting user data. (Can't remember the name of feature).
Found it. Offload apps.
The Offload app feature only deletes the app code and not the data associated with the app. So you can offload the app until you want to use it again. For that, you will have to reinstall the app. But you won’t need to reconfigure the app as the data linked with the app is still available on your iPhone or iPad. When you offload an app, it no longer makes API calls or runs in the background. You are even saved from the barrage of unnecessary notifications without affecting the app data.

F 4 E

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
Thanks to all who answered.

I guess my main gripe is the frequency with which most apps seem to be updated.

Mostly, it feels like they're simply being updated to stay relevant and suck in more users !

As IOS doesn't seem to be any different in terms of frequency, I'll stay with Android.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Mostly, it feels like they're simply being updated to stay relevant and suck in more users !
Updates often contain important bug fixes. Apps only get updated when there are bug fixes, improvements or other changes to the app. Some apps receive regular updates, while other are only updated occasionally. The frequency of updates on Android and iOS should be roughly the same.

Unless you have very limited data, then it's best not to disable automatic updates.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.