Consumer Reports: Don't Buy Microsoft Surface / Microsoft: We stand behind Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Consumer Reports has pulled its recommendation of Microsoft's Surface line of laptops and 2-in-1s, following a survey of its users suggesting that the machines aren't reliable enough. Specifically, the "predicted reliability" is worse than other brands, the magazine says. - Consumer Reports: Don't Buy Microsoft Surface

The Surface Team’s mission is and has always been to make devices that deliver great experiences to our customers and fans. It’s the motivation for everything we do, and we are proud of the Surface devices we have built.

05356305e3cca41005d5f5db5185d4ff.jpg

This is why today’s Consumer Reports survey is disappointing. While we respect Consumer Reports, we disagree with their findings. Surface has had quite a journey over the last few years, and we’ve learned a lot. In the Surface team we track quality constantly, using metrics that include failure and return rates – both our predicted 1-2-year failure and actual return rates for Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book are significantly lower than 25%. Additionally, we track other indicators of quality such as incidents per unit (IPU), which have improved from generation to generation and are now at record lows of well below 1%.

Surface also ranks highly in customer satisfaction. 98% of Surface Pro 4 users and Surface Book users say they are satisfied with their device*, and our Surface Laptop and new Surface Pro continue to get rave reviews.

A part of being product makers is listening to our customers and pushing ourselves to evolve and improve with every generation of devices we create. We’re forever seeking innovation, encouraging positive change. It’s what we do, and what our customers do, but I can promise you one thing that will never change is our commitment to our customers and our dedication to ensuring your Surface experience only gets better.

We are proud of our products and the amazing things our customers are doing with them. We stand firmly behind the quality and reliability of the Surface family of devices, and I can confidently tell you there has never been a better time to buy a Surface.

*Based on January -June 2017 study of consumers in the US, UK, Germany, France, China, Japan, and Australia, conducted by research company IPSOS, commissioned by Microsoft.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Thank you so much, I absolutely love how M$ words their stuff. It's almost apple-esque. :p

I've owned a Surface Pro 3 and after months of bugs I threw it as far as I could in fear of the therapist's bills topping the cost of the device.
Got a SurfaceBook now and it's ok, but it certainly doesn't send me into a state of endless ecstasy as M$ would have you believe.

"98% of Surface Pro 4 users and Surface Book users say they are satisfied with their device*"

* Excludes users with two arms and/or two legs, names other than Satya Nadella as well as those who weren't satisfied. No bits or bytes were harmed during the cook-up of our statistics.
As for statistics in general, never believe any you didn't falsify yourself. Also, you do not need any glasses if you can read this.

SCNR :D

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I have some family members who use surface for basic use and the big stuff for their desktops. If you aren't too downloader heavy it seems like a fairly cheap option IMO.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
@Fritz your post is funny :D But I can't believe that this product is so bad as you described. My friends are very happy with Surface products.
Thanks @askalan :D

Well, whenever I read that marketing babble it always irks me to no end, so I just had to put it into perspective. Of course they're workable products as such, but there's no reason to hype them up like they're the second coming of Christ. Just like every new iPhone/MacBook ist "the best ever". Well; yes, and how would it manage not to be if it's simply the next generation? :rolleyes:

BTT: There were so many problems with the Surface Pro 3 in the beginning it was nerve-wrecking. You'd take it out of your back and it'd be piping hot or dead because it decided to turn itself on with the lid closed and run on 12.000 rpm for an hour, the screen would flicker at will, etc. Stuff like that. Great when you arrive at your client's office with a dead notebook. It took them like an entire year and countless firmware updates to fix all that. This isn't what I expect from a company that controls both the software AND the hardware. There is just no excuse. And to see how they celebrate themselves in spite of all that just tops it off nicely.

I agree that nowadays I don't have such problems with my SurfaceBook and surely the Surface Pro 3 and 4 are decent as well. But again, they're just some other computers in a world of good 2in1s and since M$ can't help to go completely overboard with the praise I just had to chime in. :p

Reactions: Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.