New Update ContentBlockHelper stopped working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Is't hacked? - visibly: 'This item has been disabled in Chrome.' - Chrome Web Store note is missing today.
EDIT: I am changing my opinion: today's idea is that there is a problem with developers who have not succeeded in implanting a new version. You have to wait for the development of events.

Since yesterday (November 22 maybe...) ContentBlockHelper extension no longer works.

On Chrome Web Store (and on Extensions Chrome page too) is being shown the new version: Version: 10.4.0
Updated: November 22,2017
Size: 335KiB
but on developers home page, this version is not mentioned.
So far I have used version 10.2.0 (Version: 10.2.0 Updated: May 5, 2016 Size: 449KiB).
Changelog on Japanese developers page: 日誌の検索 [タグ:ContentBlockHelper] 1~10(13件中) - 工房らくだ舎 - is NOT mentionning version 10.4, but 10.3 ( so my version 10.2 was actually the 10.3 version (developers, they didn't changed this version denomination on the GUI and Web Store...why?)
And on 'Chrome Extensions' developers page: Chrome Extensions - 工房らくだ舎 - the date is 2016年03月21 = March 21, 2016 always, like for version 10.2.0
On Preferences page/Help - nothing about version...
GUI window of the new version is empty, nothing is shown on popup, except the inscription' UI Protection', and if I notch all 6 boxes of UI protection, they untick themselves after the restart of extension.
Note 'Donation' button, which is linked to amazon.co.jp: ほしい物リスト - weird! EDIT: not weird, safe.
- this amazon.co.jp link (in English) was directly on the GUI window after first start of ContentBlockHelper 'new version', but the next time it disappeared - weird! EDIT: not weird, safe.
- two amazon.co.jp files I have removed from browser's Profile\Default\Local Storage Local Storage folder. EDIT: hmm, so the same could make CCleaner, sorry...

Do you have similar problems with this extension, please?

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Today's situation with ContentBlockHelper - is unchanged. (but the note from Chrome Web Store disappeared, a user must have deleted it).
The link to amazon.co.jp is safe.
But I am changing my opinion: today's idea is that there is a problem with developers who have not succeeded in implanting a new version. You have to wait for the development of events.

On Chrome browser, Right click on ContentBlockHelper window popup (or if click on the icon - then Inspect popup) - and click Inspect: you have Developer tools window, that spoke about:
"siteUIProtection.js:33 "
"Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token *
extensions::uncaught_exception_handler:8 Error in event handler for (unknown): TypeError: Cannot read property 'typemap' of undefined
at Object.mainPage.show (chrome-extension://ahnpejopbfnjicblkhclaaefhblgkfpd/scripts/popup.js:13:21)handler @ extensions::uncaught_exception_handler:8"

Last edited:

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
The error you're talking about only occurs right after you activate the extension before navigating anywhere, so don't worry.

Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
The error you're talking about only occurs right after you activate the extension before navigating anywhere, so don't worry.

Thank you for your response!
This new 10.4 version of extension remains active (enabled) in my three chrome browsers (Slimjet, Iron, Cent) and doesn't work unfortunately...
On Opera I have precedent 10.2 version - this one works flawlessly!

I'm writing in the first Post:
"GUI window of the new version is empty, nothing is shown on popup, except the inscription' UI Protection', and if I notch all 6 boxes of UI protection, they untick themselves after the restart of extension." - restart of pop-up window of extension.

The extensions conflict are possible?..
But Chrome passed it's note about - so problem is for all users.
On Home page this 10.4.0 version is NOT mentioned so maybe it's rogue hacked version, I think.

Could you download it and get your impressions here, please?
Maybe some of you could download it and comment here, please?

Last edited:

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
It works OK for me at least on the regular Chrome. Maybe a feature not supported on some alternative Chromium browsers was added? I remember trying to install Google Data Saver on my Opera because its own data compressor was just too damn buggy, but it didn't work due to Opera not supporting the data compression proxy permission (dataReductionProxy).

By the way, the versions on the dev's main page:

On crx.dam.io:

I downloaded v10.2.0 and 10.4.0 from the crx site (which was finally updated). The newest files in the latter were created on November 23rd, a later date than the release date of v10.3 from the dev page (May 16, 2016), so the newest version of the extension must not be on the home page. I'll try to compare both versions.

PS. By the way, thank you for letting me know about such a great extension. The Japanese really make a bunch of great stuff.

PPS. Comparing the manifest.json files in both versions, I think I've found the reason (or at least part of it). Look at how the options page is specified in both:
Code:
"options_page"       : "options.html",
Code:
    "options_ui"        :
    {
        "chrome_style": true,
        "page"        : "options.html"
    },
The former is deprecated, though the older version still works on up-to-date Chrome and Opera with a few warnings/errors, but probably not the other way around:
  • Unrecognized manifest key 'applications'.
  • Unrecognized manifest key 'minimum_opera_version'. (only for Chrome)
  • Cannot load extension with file or directory name Thumbs.db. The filename is illegal.
I'm considering testing the recent version on a rather outdated (-v40) version of Chrome or Chromium.

PPPS. If you badly want to be able to use it on your favourite browsers, download the previous version from this page. Make sure you download it from the "Download" link, not the "CRX" one. Then extract the zip and delete the _metadata folder inside. In the developer mode, select the "choose unpacked extension" or whatever option that's called on your browser. Find the folder you've just extracted and open it. That way, it will work without ever automatically updating to the recent version.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
It works OK for me at least on the regular Chrome. Maybe a feature not supported on some alternative Chromium browsers was added? I remember trying to install Google Data Saver on my Opera because its data compressor was too buggy, but it didn't work due to Opera not supporting the data compression proxy permission.

By the way, the versions on the dev's main page:

On crx.dam.io:

I downloaded v10.2.0 and 10.4.0 from the crx site (which was finally updated). The newest files in the latter were created on November 23rd, a later date than the release date of v10.3 from the dev page (May 16, 2016), so the newest version of the extension must not be on the home page. I'll try to compare both versions.

Savior! you're my digital-lifesaver, thank you in advance!...
DISABLED icon from my ContentBlockHelper!.png
- DISABLED icon from my ContentBlockHelper!.png

Edit:
'.. about such a great extension.'
- it's essential, without it I am incapacitated! But in the meantime, I have activated the 'Script Blocker For Chrome'... it's not bad.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
You wrote in the precedent post:

"
PPS. Comparing the manifest.json files in both versions, I think I've found the reason (or at least part of it). Look at how the options page is specified in both:
Code:
"options_page" : "options.html",
Code:
"options_ui" :
{
"chrome_style": true,
"page" : "options.html"
},

That's because the former is deprecated, though the older version still works on up-to-date Chrome and Opera with a few warnings/errors, but probably not the other way around:
  • Unrecognized manifest key 'applications'.
  • Unrecognized manifest key 'minimum_opera_version'. (only for Chrome)
  • Cannot load extension with file or directory name Thumbs.db. The filename is illegal.
I'm considering testing the recent version on a rather outdated (-v40) version of Chrome or Chromium."

Thank you Tsiehshi, I am very grateful to you: you provided proof, that this ContentBlockHelper display problem comes from developers, their code.
Do you have the solution (code example) for this window options display problem, please?
Could you please advise the developers of your discovery, please?

PS.
ContentBlockHelper new 10.4.0 version problem I have in these browsers:

Cent browser Version 1.8.9.28 is based on Chromium 49.0.2623.105
Slimjet browser Version 10.0.13.0 is based on Chromium 50.0.2661.75
SRWare Iron is Version 49.0.2600.0
- and all are portable.

Last edited:

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
I haven't found a perfect solution yet, but there are a couple of workarounds. The first is this:
PPPS. If you badly want to be able to use it on your favourite browsers, download the previous version from this page. Make sure you download it from the "Download" link, not the "CRX" one. Then extract the zip and delete the _metadata folder inside. In the developer mode, select the "choose unpacked extension" or whatever option that's called on your browser. Find the folder you've just extracted and open it. That way, it will work without ever automatically updating to the recent version.

Or if you want to use the recent version, you can update your browsers to let them support it.

PS. SUCCESS. I downloaded that version of Cent portable to test the extension, and it threw several "Unexpected token *" syntax errors. I've found that's because the extension uses the newly-introduced ** operator, which apparently wasn't supported back then. So I replaced them with the good ol' Math.pow, getting it to work.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I haven't found a perfect solution yet, but there are a couple of workarounds. The first is this:
Tsiehshi said:

Or if you want to use the recent version, you can update your browsers to let them support it.
Thank you for your detailled instruction, I want to follow it!
My problem was auto update, these chromium browsers they made automatically download this latest version.
Is there a possibility to prohibit auto download?

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
PS. SUCCESS. I downloaded that version of Cent portable to test the extension, and it threw several "Unexpected token *" syntax errors. I've found that's because the extension uses the newly-introduced ** operator, which apparently wasn't supported. So I replaced them with the good ol' Math.pow, getting it to work.
Ah oh!
Call the developers!

I like this wonderful extension..

EDIT:
Where in the code you see these errors, please (CRX Inspector works good here).
- and how did you "replaced them with the good ol' Math.pow, getting it to work", please, thank you!

Last edited:

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
EDIT:
Where in the code you see these errors, please (CRX Inspector works good here).
- and how did you "replaced them with the good ol' Math.pow, getting it to work", please, thank you!

There are ** operators in scripts/siteUIProtection.js (lines 33 & 50) and scripts/prefsUIProtection.js (lines 20 & 37). I replaced all four (2 ** parseInt(form.value)) instances with (Math.pow(2, parseInt(form.value))).

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Tsiehshi, I apologize but I want to rest now, I want to see everything that you passed to me tomorrow, but it would be nice if you contact developers to advise them according to the results of your findings.
Thank you once again!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Using the latest version 10.4.0 for Google Chrome browser

I'm seeing a very narrow horizontal GUI display in its Options. Can't see and set anything :rolleyes:

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
Tsiehshi, I apologize but I want to rest now, I want to see everything that you passed to me tomorrow, but it would be nice if you contact developers to advise them according to the results of your findings.
Thank you once again!

Sorry, but I doubt that will work. From the developer PoV, I understand why they target the most popular browsers, so I don't think they'll update it just because it didn't happen to work on an obscure Chromium fork. I can upload the working version to you if you want, though.

Using the latest version 10.4.0 for Google Chrome browser

I'm seeing a very narrow horizontal GUI display in its Options. Can't see and set anything :rolleyes:
Open the options page, find the the black container (id = extension-options-overlay-guest), inspect it and set its height to 250 or above.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Sorry, but I doubt that will work. From the developer PoV, I understand why they target the most popular browsers, so I don't think they'll update it just because it didn't happen to work on an obscure Chromium fork. I can upload the working version to you if you want, though.

Open the options page, right-click the black container (id = extension-options-overlay-guest) and set its height to 110.

Hmm, eg. Slimjet and Cent browser are very well known and appreciated, but not so widespread as Chrome, sure... damage, cause they are incomparably safer if it comes to privacy!
- especially Slimjet.
So I don't have Chrome original browser.

"I can upload the working version to you if you want, though."
Definitely you are extremely nice to me, thank you very much Tsiehshi!

It seems to me, that it would be preferable if you put your 10.4 working version in this topic, and in this way the others could benefit also... and this topic would be very busy on the web, famous, you will see...:cool:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Yes personally I'm very impressed by your kindness, Tsiehshi!

But now I'm embarrassed:
I have never set foot in this Zippyshare. com... "File Life: 30 days after no activity."
Maybe I should log in, give them my data...username, password... I hate to do things like that.
Would it be possible to put the file to download on the website?..
- Is there no other way to put the file to download on the MT website directly, please?

EDIT:
Yes, I see! On Cent browser.
Before, I have used Nightly (basilick.exe), and on Nightly I don't have the download button, I didn't see it, he wasn't there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsiehshi

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
Would it be possible to put the file to download on the website?..
- Is there no other way to put the file to download on the MT website directly, please?
I tried, but only .txt,.pdf,.png,.jpg,.jpeg,.jpe,.gif and .log files are accepted. One *could* open a zip on a text editor and save it as a txt file without corrupting it, but sometimes the file gets corrupted anyway.

Attachments

• 10.4.0_0.txt
    318.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Well, downloaded it (unpacked folder) to my Extensions after click on "Load unpacked extension" button on Extensions page... "Loaded from ~\Mes documents\10.4.0_0\10.4.0_0" inscription, then two other links: "reload (Ctrl+R)" and "Errors" with red cross: after click on it, I see on the page with the code, line 52 (in red): "minimum_opera_version" : "36.0" - yet I am now on Cent chromium browser...
So click "Done" on this code page, and see no changes on ContentBlockHelper, sadly ...
- I don't click "clear all"...
Line 51: "minimum_chrome_version": "49.0", - my Cent v1.8.9.28 (portable) it's Chromium 49.0.2623.102

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsiehshi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.