Converting a broadband connection to wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashu Kumar

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2014
Hello MT members, :)

I have a question related to networking and I have not much knowledge on networking, so I thought it would be good to get expert opinions here on MT.

I have a broadband connection at my home and I am planning to get a WiFi connection now.

So I am calculating my options.

Straightforward solution is that I contact my ISP provider and subscribe to their WiFi service. Rest they will do it for me.

There is another solution which concerns with installing "Connectify" and turning my laptop into a WiFi hotspot.

Another option which I was thinking (a lame thought of mine!) that if I purchase a router and plug the Ethernet cable into router, will it convert my broadband connection into WiFi? Is it really possible?

Please suggest me.

Reactions: Ink

Ashu Kumar

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2014
Ah! spelling mistake in the topic headline, and I am unable to correct it. :eek:

I misspelled "connection". Please bear with it.

Reactions: frogboy

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hello MT members, :)

I have a question related to networking and I have not much knowledge on networking, so I thought it would be good to get expert opinions here on MT.

I have a broadband connection at my home and I am planning to get a WiFi connection now.

So I am calculating my options.

Straightforward solution is that I contact my ISP provider and subscribe to their WiFi service. Rest they will do it for me.

There is another solution which concerns with installing "Connectify" and turning my laptop into a WiFi hotspot.

Another option which I was thinking (a lame thought of mine!) that if I purchase a router and plug the Ethernet cable into router, will it convert my broadband connection into WiFi? Is it really possible?

Please suggest me.

That is not a lame thought. That's actually the best thought. Your ISP provides you one LAN cabel ( Mostly coming from outdoor WiFi Antenna which catches the signal from your ISP). Get the IP details from your ISP or check your Laptop's Lan settings. Now put that LAN cable into the WAN port of the router and set the password. TADA. You are done ;)

Ashu Kumar

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2014
Hello @Anupam : thanks for making it clear to me.

Now I am stuck at these two choices of Router:
  1. This Router includes an Inbuilt Modem and works well with Telephone Line ISPs (router + modem)
  2. This Router Does Not Include Modem and works well with Cable Broadbands (router only)
Links:
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2 Wireless with ModemRouter - TP-LINK : Flipkart.com

TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK : Flipkart.com

Which one I should opt?

I have a BSNL broadband connection.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hello @Anupam : thanks for making it clear to me.

Now I am stuck at these two choices of Router:
  1. This Router includes an Inbuilt Modem and works well with Telephone Line ISPs (router + modem)
  2. This Router Does Not Include Modem and works well with Cable Broadbands (router only)
Links:
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2 Wireless with ModemRouter - TP-LINK : Flipkart.com

TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK : Flipkart.com

Which one I should opt?

I have a BSNL broadband connection.

Hi What you are asking is whether you need ADSL Modem + Router or only the router. That completely depends on your service provider.

Let me tell you in more details.

1. If your ISP ( Here BSNL) provides direct lan cable then you don't need ADSL Router ( Buy 2nd one)
2. If your ISP uses modem to take the data from telephone line and coverts it's to LAN connection then you need it as well as you may not need it as per your choice. If you want to keep both the Modem and Router separately then you just need the 2nd one. If you do not want to use the modem provided by your ISP then take 1st one.

As per my knowledge BSNL provides the connection through Phone Wire. So better go for the ADSL + Router ( 1st one). You then don't need the modem supplied by BSNL and can directly put the phone cable in your ADSL port. Also this kind of router can be used as normal router as well. In that case you need to use the WAN port that's it.

Also invest little bit more and take the one which is having USB port as well. You can use it as remote storage. In my home I am using such router which keeps my 4 TB HDD ( 2 *T 2 HDD) with my router.

TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2 Modem Router - TP-LINK : Flipkart.com

Reactions: Ashu Kumar
D

Deleted member 178

@Ashu Kumar Normally you should have your ISP's modem connected to the phone plug via a cable and your computer connected to your modem via an ethernet cable (basic internet connection) .

Now to get wifi you have 2 choices:

- Just buy a wifi router and connect it to the ISP modem with another ethernet cable, some networking setup have to be done (IP adress, etc...) , then setup the wifi security aspects and its done.

- buy a wifi modem-router, easier to setup since it replaces the 2 equipments above, you will just have to enter your ISP credentials to access internet. Then you setup your wifi security.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

I meant USB port for external HD on router.
Do you mean I can access my external HD when I am connected with wired router connection & wifi router connection?

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I meant USB port for external HD on router.
Do you mean I can access my external HD when I am connected with wired router connection & wifi router connection?
Yup. You need to just map it to network drive for the 1st time. I am using it for long time and it's amazing.

Ashu Kumar

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2014
Thanks everyone for helping me out.

@Anupam : so you are satisfied customer with TP-Link product?

How would you rate its consumer support? It's after-sales-service which is I am concerned about.

BSNL guys are offering ADSL2+router for INR 1500. I am not sure but I think it would be Utstarcom device. The Utstarcom modem which I had earlier started malfunctioning (frequent link disconnections) after 3 years of use.

Other choices are: D-Link, Netgear etc.

I am confused. :confused::mad: What if product is faulty and I want a replacement and all I get a inconsiderate response from the customer support department? That's my main concern.

Reactions: frogboy

Ashu Kumar

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2014
@reyes : normally routers have 1 WAN and 4 LAN ports but this one has one WAN/LAN Port and 3 LAN ports. What does it imply?

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Thanks everyone for helping me out.

@Anupam : so you are satisfied customer with TP-Link product?

How would you rate its consumer support? It's after-sales-service which is I am concerned about.

BSNL guys are offering ADSL2+router for INR 1500. I am not sure but I think it would be Utstarcom device. The Utstarcom modem which I had earlier started malfunctioning (frequent link disconnections) after 3 years of use.

Other choices are: D-Link, Netgear etc.

I am confused. :confused::mad: What if product is faulty and I want a replacement and all I get a inconsiderate response from the customer support department? That's my main concern.

I am using TP-Link N600 from last 2 years with two 9 DB antennas and one two TB WD HDD attached to it ( I have another 2 TB which I connect sometimes and with 4 TB it works just fine) :D

Though I does not heat much, but still I kept it on one of my cooler master laptop cooler since it runs 24*7 and as long I remember I did not do any restart in last 60 days ;)

upload_2015-9-30_13-20-10.png

upload_2015-9-30_13-21-59.png

Ashu Kumar

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2014
great! :)

I have one last query.

Today I was trying to contact TP-Link customer support at 1800 2094 168 for inquiring about warranty and replacement norms. But after trying a number of times since morning, they didn't picked up my call.

This gave me cold feet about their consumer support. :( I really want to go for TP-Link but this instance is holding me back.

While D-Link answered my call in second attempt. There is this D-Link model "Dlink DSL 2730U". This has same price as of TP-link but only one antenna and there are some range issues with it (as quoted by some users online).

I am confused.:confused::confused::confused:

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
great! :)

I have one last query.

Today I was trying to contact TP-Link customer support at 1800 2094 168 for inquiring about warranty and replacement norms. But after trying a number of times since morning, they didn't picked up my call.

This gave me cold feet about their consumer support. :( I really want to go for TP-Link but this instance is holding me back.

While D-Link answered my call in second attempt. There is this D-Link model "Dlink DSL 2730U". This has same price as of TP-link but only one antenna and there are some range issues with it (as quoted by some users online).

I am confused.:confused::confused::confused:

What is your requirement? How big is your house? What is your net speed? Do you want to have video streaming?

Most of us don't even need multiple Antennas ( MIMO). If your house is within 1000 sq feet don't bother about range. Just place it in the middle and you are good.

btw Dlink even has the almost same model ( Dlink DSL 2750U).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.