What is the best cpu upgrade for a SATELLITE PRO C50D-A-146 with AMD E1
I was thinking about 2-3Ghz
Thanks for the help

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I would not bother. It is likely your RAM along with having a 32-bit operating system is causing your biggest bottleneck.

You did not say how much RAM you have, but the 32-bit OS limits the maximum to 4GB but even then, only ~3.2GB will be usable due to the way 32-bit operating systems map hardware memory.

But worse is a large chunk of your RAM is likely dedicated to graphics processing giving your OS even less RAM to use. That alone is a bottle neck but it also means the OS is forced to use the Page File on your hard drive much more often creating yet another bottle neck.

Just upgrading to 64-bit Windows 10 will give your system back that RAM that was taken for mapping. That is, Windows will be able to use the full 4GB (less what is used for graphics).

According to these specs, it looks like that notebook will support up to 16,384MB (16GB) of DDR3 1333MHz RAM.

If me, I would replace your current RAM and install a 8GB stick, then upgrade to 64-bit Windows. I am sure you will see a much greater performance boost that way instead of upgrading your CPU and then straddling it with 4GB and a 32-bit OS.

Also note that many notebooks, to reduce weight, notebook thickness, and costs, use surface mount processors - that is, the CPU is soldered directly to the motherboard (not inserted in socket) and cannot be replaced.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The E1-2100 CPU in your laptop is very slow and almost certainly not powerful enough to run Windows 10 well. Even if you add more RAM and install a 64-bit version of Windows 10,, as @Digerati suggested, I'm sure it will still run slowly. The product page for your laptop, says it came installed with Windows 8.1. It has been my experience that Windows 8.1 can run surprisingly fast on computers with slow CPUs, even when on the same computer Windows 10 runs slowly. I recommend reinstalling a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 and also as suggested, adding more RAM, as these days, unless you are using your computer for very basic use, 4GB will not be enough.

Since your computer will have come with a license for Windows 8.1, you will not need to purchase it. I can help you find an ISO file of Windows 8.1, which you will need to reinstall Windows, if you want.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Sorry, but I think you should stick with W10. Going back to W8.1 is going backwards. The minimum system requirements for both W8.1 and W10 are exactly the same. And W10 has better virtual memory management.

But I do agree with Roger that that CPU is very slow at 1GHz (the minimum required for either W8.1 or W10). So if your notebook CPU is socketed, upgrading it would be a good idea but I still think upping the RAM first would give you more bang for your money.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

Sorry, but I think you should stick with W10. Going back to W8.1 is going backwards. The minimum system requirements for both W8.1 and W10 are exactly the same. And W10 has better virtual memory management.

But I do agree with Roger that that CPU is very slow at 1GHz (the minimum required for either W8.1 or W10). So if your notebook CPU is socketed, upgrading it would be a good idea but I still think upping the RAM first would give you more bang for your money.
Will run just fine, he'll get more performance on W10 than W8 contrary to what roger said. They do have the same system requirements, but W10 manages the resources better, specially on the long run.

I've seen W10 run on slower CPUs, he shouldn't expect high-end performance on a low-end machine. Few laptops allow changing the hardware (outside RAM and Storage), so his only option is to increase the RAM.

Reactions: Jimbo791
Upvote 0

Jimbo791

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Hi guys/girls/ and every one else :)
Thanks for all the info, the laptop came to me a few years back as almost new, it was not usable with win 8.1.
I had some time on my hands so I dug it out of the store and tried as suggested , up graded RAM to 8gb, installed a ssd and win 10. Still too slow to use. When I have time at the weekend I will take it apart, the info I have so far is that the CPU can be upgraded but I cant find out what type of CPU will work.
So if any one know what CPU works lets know.
This is just a project for me but I find it interesting.
Once again thanks to you all

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
That may be so, but it has been my experience on multiple computers I own, that of the CPU is very slow, then Windows 10 will be sluggish and run quite a bit slower than the original OS, which leads to a poor user experience. However, on the same computers, Windows 8.1 will run quite fast. I've had the same results with multiple builds of Windows 10.

I've upgraded plenty of Windows 7 computers, which had only a Core 2 Duo or similar processor, to Windows 10 and they ran really well after upgrading. Even though I was upgrading the existing install of Windows 7, which had seen years of use, rather than doing a clean install of Windows 10. I'm even running Windows 10 on some 12 year old laptops and it is quite fast. So, certainly you don't need a particularly powerful CPU to run Windows 10, but, on some CPUs, Windows 8.1 runs significantly faster.
Will run just fine, he'll get more performance on W10 than W8 contrary to what roger said. They do have the same system requirements, but W10 manages the resources better, specially on the long run.
Have a read of my comments above. On some systems, Windows 8.1 does run a lot faster than Windows 10.

Upvote 0

Jimbo791

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Once again thanks for all the info, does anyone have any idea what the replacement CPU could be, its the only thing that will help.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

Once again thanks for all the info, does anyone have any idea what the replacement CPU could be, its the only thing that will help.
E2-3000 is the best you can get, but there's no telling if it will work at all on your notebook, you have keep in to account the power requirements and heat threshold.

You better off getting a newer notebook, Toshiba itself doesn't support upgrading the CPU on your current notebook (only the RAM). The performance will be fairly unnoticeable, as that notebook only supports low end CPUs.

You'll find E1-2500 and E1-2200 are also options.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.