Question CPU Spec - Difference from the shop claim to its real output?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Does anyone know, if specs. such as computer speed are often lies? My computer claimed it can reach 4.8 but never goes over 4.67(though this is a minimal difference), why the difference from the shop claim to its real output?

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Several factors can affect max clock frequency or boost. It can be limited in the BIOS or could be a thermal issue.
Usually maximum boost is limited to 1 or 2 CPU cores during light single thread loads.

If you are running an AMD system make sure your have updated the motherboard chipset driver to the latest version.

Use HWINFO64 to check what the max clock speed is after using the PC for a few minutes.
5600X 5025MHz CPUZ 700 ST HWINFO64 FULL 2023.jpg

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Does anyone know, if specs. such as computer speed are often lies? My computer claimed it can reach 4.8 but never goes over 4.67(though this is a minimal difference), why the difference from the shop claim to its real output?
It is very unlikely that computer manufacturers deliberately lie about the specs of their products. However, there are several factors that can affect the actual performance of a computer component, including the quality of the components, the configuration of the system, and the workload running at the time of measurement. In the case of the CPU speed, it is possible that you are not seeing the maximum frequency due to thermal restrictions or power limitations. You can use software tools such as CPU-Z or HWMonitor to check the actual clock speed of your processor and compare it to the specifications. It's also worth noting that CPU performance can vary depending on the model and generation, and benchmarks are often used to compare the performance of different processors.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
May not be applicable here but sometimes you might wonder if those Spectre/Meltdown mitigations might be affecting general cpu performance. I know it does a bit for my Coffee Lake cpu--a little bit. I now have these disabled in the Registry.

Is this little app still relevant? InSpectre

Variations in silicon might also be a factor, I guess. By the way, my cpu claims it can go to 5.0 GHz, but only on two cores at a time. And HWiFO64 does document that. On all cores, it hits 4.8 GHz.

Reactions: Dave Russo
F

ForgottenSeer 76546

As the others have said, it's most likely because of thermal limitation, also keep in mind there can be some deviation between same CPUs in the manufacturing process.

Reactions: Dave Russo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.