JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm surprised that this issue was not yet reported on MT forums.
I have experienced it on the first PC i updated, then I stopped to update the other.
CORTANA.PNG

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
No, I don't use O&O ShutUp10... SearchUI.exe is eating now between 41% and 49% of my CPU, and even killing many times it auto execute again and again...
1567602125270.png
I'm going to try to uninstall that f****** KB update, @Microsoft -> https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/help/4512941/windows-10-update-kb4512941-> Microsoft is not currently aware of any issues with this update -> really????????? :emoji_angry::emoji_angry::emoji_angry:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I keep telling people Windows Updates are buggy. It does more damage than what it can solve, visually. I got BSODs after an update in the past
some people will call me n00b but I don't care
Update your PC every 3-6 months. Do not update every week -> for your own stability

That's what LTSC version of windows does. It doesn't update frequently (monthly maybe). It only gets stable updates

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I keep telling people Windows Updates are buggy. It does more damage than what it can solve, visually. I got BSODs after an update in the past
some people will call me n00b but I don't care
Update your PC every 3-6 months. Do not update every week -> for your own stability

That's what LTSC version of windows does. It doesn't update frequently (monthly maybe). It only gets stable updates

Hello @Evjl's Rain
Thanks.
But it is not easy to stop Windows updates and LTSC is for "Windows Enterprise".

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hello @Evjl's Rain
Thanks.
But it is not easy to stop Windows updates and LTSC is for "Windows Enterprise".
there are 2 solutions for windows update
1/ use Windows update blocker (sordum -> very reliable. They have a tool to permanently disable windows defender in 1 click)
after download -> extract -> check "disable service" and "Protect service settings" -> apply

2/ Use Stopupdates10 -> quite good, too
http://www.greatissoftware.com/stopupdates10.zip

Windows update blocker will lock windows services and prevent them from enabling itself -> that's what windows 10 does :mad:

Last edited:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
there are 2 solutions for windows update
1/ use Windows update blocker (sordum -> very reliable. They have a tool to permanently disable windows defender in 1 click)
after download -> extract -> check "disable service" and "Protect service settings" -> apply

2/ Use Stopupdates10 -> quite good, too
http://www.greatissoftware.com/stopupdates10.zip

Windows update blocker will lock windows services and prevent them from enabling itself -> that's what windows 10 does :mad:
Thanks @Evjl's Rain
I will try "Windows update blocker" ASAP.
And when is the right moment for updating Windows ?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks @Evjl's Rain
I will try "Windows update blocker" ASAP.
And when is the right moment for updating Windows ?
I think the best time is on Sunday, 1-2-3 months after your last update (MS release weekly updates on tuesday)
before that, you should go around some forums and search for bugs that Windows updates cause, reported by users
if there are no serious bugs like the one you posted, you can update but do a backup in case you have a problem

this is a good place to start:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
The currently suggested fix (terminating/restarting SearchUI.EXE afterwards should suffice):
Code:
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "BingSearchEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
Thanks @TairikuOkami
I just tried your code
[
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "BingSearchEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
]
but it did not work.
cortana2.PNG
Cortana1.PNG

I will uninstall again this KB4512941 and wait some weeks more.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Some also suggest disabling Cortana, but I do not expect MS to give it much attention, since 1909 is behind the corner.
Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "CortanaEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft has confirmed that they are investigating reports of high CPU usage in the SearchUI.exe component of Cortana after users install the Windows 10 v1903 KB4512941 cumulative update.

In a Twitter post from the Windows Update team, Microsoft has stated that they are investigating the issue and will provide a fix in an upcoming release.
"We are currently investigating an issue where users are reporting high CPU usage linked to SeachUI.EXE after installing the optional update on August 30 (KB4512941). We will provide an update in an upcoming release."

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.