Status
Not open for further replies.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Comments please. on my new PC set-up (NOT the one I am currently using)...

Windows 10 pro 64 bit (mostly logged in as a standard user not administrator)
Rollback Rx
Kaspersky Internet Security
Sticky Password
Freedome VPN
Experimenting with incremental cloud backup of key data (via Zoolz)
External HDD backup of data every 6 weeks or so (alternating between 2 different drives),

I have Macrium Reflect but never used it as would be inclined to re-install Windows from scratch in the event of an infection or system errors.

Is there anything better that I should be doing ? Any software recommendations ?

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
To create system images I would like to suggest Macrium reflect or Aomei Backupper, both have a free and reliable version for you to use. ;)

I find Rollback RX to be very convenient as it is automatic, generally reliable, and very easy to roll back. It would be better if snapshots could be saved to an external hard drive in case the whole system gets corrupted. For day-to-day use I find it a useful layer of protection in case of malware attack, or hardware failure. Of course, its not immune from malware so its not good to rely on it. (It has also corrupted in the past following Windows updates). But it does a very good job on the whole.

I have Macrium (fully licensed) but have not used it yet- it is for experimentation. It seems to me that it requires more of an effort to make system restores as it needs to image the drive and therefore an external hard-drive needs to be connected. I doubt I would get into the habit of doing that on a daily basis- I would be lazy. Rollback is automated and easy of course- but I recognise that it is not a true backup.

Is one way of using Macrium to have an external hard-drive permanently connected to the PC ? However, that would surely be at risk of ransomware corruption if it was always connected ? Or is there a way of protecting it ?

PS- Norton Security. But I'm switching to Kasperksy Security. They are both solid choices though I think.

Reactions: Rengar and frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I find Rollback RX to be very convenient as it is automatic, generally reliable, and very easy to roll back. It would be better if snapshots could be saved to an external hard drive in case the whole system gets corrupted. For day-to-day use I find it a useful layer of protection in case of malware attack, or hardware failure. Of course, its not immune from malware so its not good to rely on it. (It has also corrupted in the past following Windows updates). But it does a very good job on the whole.

I have Macrium (fully licensed) but have not used it yet- it is for experimentation. It seems to me that it requires more of an effort to make system restores as it needs to image the drive and therefore an external hard-drive needs to be connected. I doubt I would get into the habit of doing that on a daily basis- I would be lazy. Rollback is automated and easy of course- but I recognise that it is not a true backup.

Is one way of using Macrium to have an external hard-drive permanently connected to the PC ? However, that would surely be at risk of ransomware corruption if it was always connected ? Or is there a way of protecting it ?

PS- Norton Security. But I'm switching to Kasperksy Security. They are both solid choices though I think.
I only connect to make backups then disconnect for security reasons.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For password manager, Lastpass is a good choice because of massive features from flexible auto-fill up to different security mechanism.

So far so good on choosing a security product, you can try to tweak Kaspersky's Application Control to examine the behavior of programs.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Thanks- the reason I went for Sticky password is that they offered a lifetime license which is handy. Everyone says Lastpass is the best though.

I will have a play with Macrium and see what happens.

Is Voodooshield free a good idea ? If I have Kaspersky etc, does it provide extra benefits ? I am slightly concerned that running too many security apps at once can lead to conflict. If its possible to integrate things into one product i think that is better

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Consider backing up data to an external drive and a system imaging solution apart from Rollback
What version of Norton are you running?
Consider adding an on demand scanner(s)
I am assuming you use Opera & Firefox? do you have an extensions?
Do you use any system utilities such as CCleaner?
Please edit config accordingly.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: JM Safe

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I'm not using ccleaner now, but have it ready in my new machine. I have set it to startup and shut-down upon finishing cleaning.

The on demand scanner used in the past has been Malwarebytes- it used to be widely recommended. Is it any good ??

Is Voodooshiled worthwhile ? I cant imagine what it would do above Norton/Kaspersky if properly configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.