Critical Android Bluetooth Flaw Exploitable without User Interaction

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Android users are urged to apply the latest security patches released for the operating system on Monday that address a critical vulnerability in the Bluetooth subsystem.

An attacker could leverage the security flaw, now identified as CVE-2020-0022 without user participation to run arbitrary code on the device with the elevated privileges of the Bluetooth daemon when the wireless module is active.

Short-distance worm

Discovered and reported by Jan Ruge at the Technische Universität Darmstadt, Secure Mobile Networking Lab, the bug is considered critical on Android Oreo (8.0 and 8.1) and Pie (9) because exploiting it leads to code execution.

According to Ruge, attackers could use this security fault to spread malware from one vulnerable device to another, like a worm. However, the transmission is limited to the short distance covered by Bluetooth.

The Android security bulletin notes that CVE-2020-0022 "could enable a remote attacker using a specially crafted transmission to execute arbitrary code within the context of a privileged process."
On Android 10, the severity rating drops to moderate since it all it does is crash the Bluetooth daemon, the researcher says. Android versions earlier than 8.0 may also be affected but the impact on them has not been assessed.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Haven't even got the January patch yet. 🙄

Hopefully I'll get the Android 10 upgrade soon enough, at least this month as that's what my vendor officially announced. 🤞
  • Only enable Bluetooth if strictly necessary. Keep in mind that most Bluetooth enabled headphones also support wired analog audio.
  • Keep your device non-discoverable. Most are only discoverable if you enter the Bluetooth scanning menu. Nevertheless, some older phones might be discoverable permanently.
Checked on the non-discoverable setting and nope don't have that. Then again, I don't have Bluetooth enabled 24/7. :coffee:

Reactions: [correlate]

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Correct, but I have to trace that in the battery consumption feature. Right now Bluetooth it's not even on the list. 🥳

Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.