Crowdstrike CrowdInpect 1.6.0.0 (free)

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I run crowdinspect occasionally to see what's connecting / connected especially when I step away from pc.
Today I noticed that it showed that audiodg.exe was running and connected to a microsoft related ip, although at the time I had not been doing anything with audio on win7x64.
C:\Windows\System32\audiodg.exe | sha256= 956af199c1ce56b7e2080edd38d67f3b8d285c71d791ad4db67f1f1d13f13d88 an unsigned ms file.
It comes back clean on VT, and when I analyzed it in 2 different sandboxes, both report no network activity, which is the reason for this post, ie, is this some snafu with crowdinspect, reporting that this system app connected to ms, when other sources say it does not show any network activity?
my paranoid concern for the day.

thrillskr

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2018

I fast read on there privacy policy starting at point 3, conclusion: yes they Will use your data and share. I guess it’s a free service? Then it make sense you pay with your data if you like it or not. I shouldn’t be concernd about it. Crowdstrike has a lot to lose if they using/selling shameles your data like company’s as Facebook.

All AV company’s need telemetry ofcourse. It’s important for what purposes and if they are transparant. Look what Avast is doing..with with there bloat/spy/scareware . Is now more like a big data farms then a AV company.

If you using Windows it’s btw a big privacy nightmare + even worser if you are living in the USA where agancy’s like NSA spying on normal innocent people to collect data because...you never know...

Keep using if you like it, if it don’t feel comfortable stop using it, because it’s not worth stressing about things like this.

:)

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

I fast read on there privacy policy starting at point 3, conclusion: yes they Will use your data and share. I guess it’s a free service? Then it make sense you pay with your data if you like it or not. I shouldn’t be concernd about it. Crowdstrike has a lot to lose if they using/selling shameles your data like company’s as Facebook.

All AV company’s need telemetry ofcourse. It’s important for what purposes and if they are transparant. Look what Avast is doing..with with there bloat/spy/scareware . Is now more like a big data farms then a AV company.

If you using Windows it’s btw a big privacy nightmare + even worser if you are living in the USA where agancy’s like NSA spying on normal innocent people to collect data because...you never know...

Keep using if you like it, if it don’t feel comfortable stop using it, because it’s not worth stressing about things like this.

:)

good thoughts. actually I backed away from it somewhat before I read your post. I also read more about audiodg.exe. I tested crowdinspect as free tool since they seem highly regarded security solution at least in some sectors. Apparently they now own or operate
which sometimes has interesting insight into files.
thanks!

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
CrowdInspect was earlier free for personal use but due to changes in VirusTotal policy in 2016
CrowdStrike first disabled feature to scan entries on VT servers and than prepared new licence and removed free version.
@simmerskool is your version free and fully featured or only free trial?

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
CrowdInspect was earlier free for personal use but due to changes in VirusTotal policy in 2016
CrowdStrike first disabled feature to scan entries on VT servers and than prepared new licence and removed free version.
@simmerskool is your version free and fully featured or only free trial?

I understand crowdinspect 1.5.0.0 now 1.6.0.0 to be a free tool. It requires admin rights to run. It compares files / hashes to 2 databases:
hybrid-analysis.com
teamcymru.com
Not seeing that it uses VT.

thrillskr

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2018

About the community tools they offer.

Looks like a decent company.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.