Cryogent Note 4 Security Config

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Non-rooted, encrypted device, reactivation lock, unknown sources disabled, debloated (Package Disabler Pro), Zemana Mobile AV (beta) + Greenify.
I do safe browsing and no online payments.
Waiting warranty expires and then I will root.

Reactions: Rengar and Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Things look great!
I'm sure that your phone will feel like another phone after you root. Samsung needs that... DVFS, bloat, customization etc.
Do you have Greenify premium? From what I recollect, the premium features are mostly for rooted devices.

Reactions: cryogent

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
No, Greenify is the free version with granted permission from ADB shell.
And indeed to many mobile brands tend to bloat their phone with useless apps and features.
This is the 1st phone who's not been rooted from the first day i buyit.

What is DVFS abbreviation?

Last edited:
Reactions: Parsh

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Read more: Disable Samsung's Benchmark Cheating with Xposed
If you don’t know what DVFS is for, you may be in for a surprise. Samsung used it to cheat benchmark applications like AnTuTu, and they claimed that they remove it with in KitKat. Naturally DVFS is still there, despite good PR from Samsung headquarters. Disabling DVFS at the kernel level doesn’t solve the problem, as it’s controlled by the ROM.
Why is this important? Samsung had the brilliant idea of lowering the CPU frequency after few minutes of intensive usage. Thus after 5-10 minutes of playing an intensive game, your CPU goes down to 304 MHz, which makes the phone barely usable before a reboot resets it.
More at XDA: [10.03][XPOSED FIX] Samsung DVFS Disabler! - Take the full power of gs4

Reactions: Parsh and cryogent

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
It stands for Dynamic Voltage Frequency Scaling.
Basically it controls power and speed provided by the processor, controllers etc so that at as many times possible, the power saving is increased when performance might not be needed.
(Since good times, Samsung has striven a lot to improve power saving with things like Amoled display and true Black UI, DVFS, Special power saving options in ROM...)

But in case of Galaxy devices, it is said to have a considerable impact on performance when good speed was needed. All this over their (over the time) laggy Touchwiz UI (the new one is improved, but not much).
You can see the link Spawn shared. Just like Qihoo did with tests (submitting modified/tweaked product), Samsung actually disabled DVFS for submission to benchmark tests. That's not justified since the normal users would be using the DVFS-enabled device.

It's actually used in many computing devices.
When you root, you can disable DVFS via an Xposed module. FYI Xposed (Xposed Installer + Wanam Xposed) has tons of modules to tweak or add features to your stock ROM.

Reactions: cryogent

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.