Advice Request Crypto-Mining Warning, Chrome on Android?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Greetings All,

I just had this Crypto-Mining warning pop-up in Chrome for Android. BTW, I'm on htc device, running Nougat.
Not "generic Android 2.0" as the warning states.lol.

I opened a link to the Seattle Times Story, and a new window opened, full page, with this warning, (see screenshot).

Now, I know this is likely "Scareware" generated by one of the advertisers on the website, but was completely surprised, as I have pop-ups blocked, and no third party cookies allowed. Suppose I should have blocked Java too.

Have any of you seen this kind of thing on any device?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180416-112411.png
    Screenshot_20180416-112411.png
    186.8 KB · Views: 346

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Don't seam to be an issue with Seattle Times so if I was you I would rather try to investigate the link you got and from where etc as that url in the popup looks odd IMO. I did a small check on the domain and it's main domain but couldn't find much other then it's WhoisGuard Protected and expires this year in October and was created in October last year. The hidden/fuzzy non https login page raised an eyebrow.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Attempts to imitate "Google Safe Browsing warning page" on mobile.
  • Scare users with threats (countdown timer)
  • Trick into a "free app" download
  • Red status header (AP)
Report for deceptive site: Google Transparency Report

Safe to visit - Google test page: http://malware.testing.google.test/testing/malware/

Firefox users are protected by Google Safe Browsing, which may look like this:
1523969858684.png
Image: Firefox Quantum v59

1523969909410.png
Image: Chrome 65

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses. I missed my email notification on these reply's, sorry.

I'm pretty sure that it was an ad that generated the fake warning. I've seen enough scareware to know it was not real. But, I was hoping others may have seen it before. I did some of the link research others did, with same obscure results. I should have followed it to see which app they were trying to get me to download, and if it was on playstore, reported it, as I've done in the past.

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.