Advice Request CryptoPrevent prevents me to open Comodo Internet Security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
hi everyone,

I am trying both sw free (stable) on a spare device with multiboot.

I manually added all ".exe" files i found in CIS folder, but no way. I can't open Comodo since I installed CryptoPrevent. maybe I don't whitelist it properly.

Do you have suggestions?

looking forward to hearing from you

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Do you have suggestions? Yes, don't install CryptoPrevent with Comodo, Comodo is enough you don't need any security products. You should also check this and this

Reactions: Dirk41 and frogboy

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Dirk- I mean absolutely no offense to you in my comment, but please don't screw around with adding and subtracting things within Comodo. The major issues (bugs?) that people have with Comodo is when they try to get "cute" with it.

I'm assuming that by Cryptoprevent you refer to the released version 7 (I would strongly suggest not messing with the semi-private version 8 at this point). Version 7 of CP will get along just fine with Comodo (CF) unless you purposely create an environment where it does not- CP essentially is a Group Policy editor, not staying resident in memory, which Comodo will totally ignore.

Shakespeare said it best-"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves"; in other words, Don't be cute with Comodo settings!

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Thanks . Yes I am using CP v7 ( stable ) but I forgot to say that I selected the maximum level protection ( that is Beta)

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Dirk- My apologies- Totally forgot the beta mode of version 7. Yeah this is an issue with a number of things which has to do with CP's whitelisting of executables. Not only will the Comodo GUI be suppressed, but for Mithras only knows why Comodo will sandbox everything! Take it out of beta mode and the issue will vanish.

This time the fault is indeed in the Stars.

Reactions: Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Don't worry , my fault

Yes you are right : it works selecting the 4th level of security

Anyway , as I said , it just " for fun" , I installed it on a spare device ( I mean a device that I don't use anymore daily , so I use it to try programs before deciding if it worth to install them on my favourites devices), where I was already trying Comodo on w7 . But in the other partition ( where I have w10 and no Comodo , just defender ) , CP ( even selecting the beta level) works with no problems, till now . I have w10 on my favourites devices

Do you think it would work well with defender , EMET 5.5 and SBIE ?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Have you tried this?
Advanced -> Software Restriction Policy Editor -> Whitelist executables currently in all blocked locations

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Do you have suggestions? Yes, don't install CryptoPrevent with Comodo, Comodo is enough you don't need any security products. You should also check this and this

Sadly this is incorrect Comodo will not now or EVER detect every single virus out there. You need a full security config will layers such as an anti-exploit, anti-malware (Zemana), and other products. I am not saying Comodo is bad, but it is NOT enough to protect a users computer.

Reactions: Dirk41 and XhenEd

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Comodo certainly is not proof against anything- this is unrealistic (and as soon will be seen). But it is hard to do, unlike traditional AV's where it is in the script-kiddie realm to do so..

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Have you tried this?
Advanced -> Software Restriction Policy Editor -> Whitelist executables currently in all blocked locations

Right now : it enabled the tray icon of CIS and it even let my open CIS GUI, but only once, then I rebooted and I am not allowed to open the GUI anymore . Tray icon still active .
But no problem , I will select the lower level of security .

Anyway is " just for fun" , I feel save till now with my standard config

Thank you again

I suppose the only solution is to whitelist everything already on the PC when it ask you during the installatio of CP

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.