App Review Cryptowall 4.0 and BitDefender AntiCryptoWall

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Tnx for video, it was excellent as always.

Any chance to make a video about some of Kaspersky Utility and if they can encrypt files?
Utilities

Reactions: Moose

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Thank you for the great video!
Will you test the same cryptowalls against HMP , ESET, EMSI, Bitdefender IS...?
Is Bitdefender IS anti Ramsom the same as the tested one?

Reactions: Moose

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Klipsh,

Thanks...so 2 different "world", or just a "light" version (the tested one) and a "pro" (the one in the IS)? This is my doubt...

Reactions: LabZero

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Another great video, thanks!
I just watched your Comodo Firewall 8 2 0 4508 Setup and Test Part 2.
How would this setup fare against ransom or cryptos?
Even if they are sandboxed (but alive and running), if your desktop is locked, how do you reset the sandbox?
I am considering CF with these setting for some costumers.
Sorry if i hijacked the thread a bit here :)

Cheers

/W

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

1). Guru- I'll never test K for reasons I can't discuss.

2). Woodrow- It is indeed about time for another CF video- probably by the weekend.

Reactions: woodrowbone

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Thank you for the great video!
Will you test the same cryptowalls against HMP , ESET, EMSI, Bitdefender IS...?
Is Bitdefender IS anti Ramsom the same as the tested one?
I would also like to see how Emsi would do against some ransomware. Especially version 11.

Reactions: Av Gurus

ntvolli

Level 1
Oct 25, 2015
I can' t See the Video in germany because its music. It is not allowed :-(
So please can anybody tell me how BitDefender manage this test?

Thanks in advice!

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
GEMA is a pain, isn't it? When I was posted in Germany I often had to proxy over to Luxembourg. But if you have Firefox, try this : YouTube Unblocker

Should still work in Germany.

Reactions: ntvolli

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Dr. Web Security Space Version 11 in paranoid mode.
Version 11 is even better. Also, is very good at cleaning.

Example of version 10 against ransomware.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Emsisoft v. 11.0.0.5911 was just released!

"The built-in behavior blocker of Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security is now even better at interrupting ransomware attacks."

"Additionally we have optimized the detection of hidden installations of malware and also improved the detection of malware that registers itself automatically every time you start your PC."
"
New: Detection of zombies (aka abused script parsers and host processes)"

Cruelsister,
can you please test the new Emsi against the cryptos as against the worms you used against HMP and MB?
It would be super interesting to see how good this new version performs!:D

thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Av Gurus
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

@cruelsister Should I turn immunisation on and what exactly does it do, it says it stops files from executing in %startup% isn't that the file that everything that starts with Windows is in?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
AMR- Yes, if you use the product you should turn the Immunization function on. The important thing that it will block will be malware that puts itself in AppData and tries to run from there.

As to the %Startup% reference- this really means stuff in the Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup directory. Actually not much ever gets places in there; you can check what is included on your computer by just going to Start-All Programs-Startup. This will show you what is on your system that will be blocked if you immunize.

Remember well that quite a few Encryptors will just start from other areas and will sidestep this protection (like CryptoFortress). One other REALLY important thing is that if you are storing documents anywhere else other than C:\Users\your name\Documents they WILL NOT be protected. many people with SSD drives will move things like mp3, photos, etc to another drive and are surprised when they get zapped.

M

Reactions: Exterminator

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.