Advice Request Custom-built computer for 3D imaging

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
My daughter-in-law, who is an architect and interior designer, needs a new desktop computer. She does 3D imaging.
She was offered a build with the following specs. The price is a little steep: 9772 NIS, equivalent to $2891. Can she safely downgrade it a little? Is there overkill here?

MOBO: X570-Taichi - ASRock

CPU: AMD Ryzen9 3900X

RAM:
HyperX 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 CL17 DIMM - RGB - HyperX XMP Predator RGB Series

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX3070 8GB OC

Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Mid Tower Silent Case,Tempered Glass, Glacier White

SSD: XPG 1024GB (1TB) SSD PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 2280 - Read 3900MB/s, Write 3200MB/s - XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite Series

HDD: Western Digital 2TB - 3.5 inch - WD Caviar Black series (new) - SATA3 6Gb/s interface - 64MB Cache - 7200RPM

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Which software does she use?
Maybe you can look at the recommended specs for those programs and see where you can save a bit.
She uses Revit Autodesk

Code:
Revit 2021

Minimum: Entry-Level Configuration
Operating System *    64-bit Microsoft® Windows® 10. See Autodesk's Product Support Lifecycle for support information.
CPU Type    Single- or Multi-Core Intel®, Xeon®, or i-Series processor or AMD® equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended.

Autodesk® Revit® software products use multiple cores for many tasks.
Memory    8 GB RAM
Usually sufficient for a typical editing session for a single model up to approximately 100 MB on disk. This estimate is based on internal testing and customer reports. Individual models will vary in their use of computer resources and performance characteristics.
Models created in previous versions of Revit software products may require more available memory for the one-time upgrade process.
Video Display Resolutions    Minimum:
1280 x 1024 with true color

Maximum:
UltraHigh (4k) Definition Monitor
Video Adapter    Basic Graphics:
Display adapter capable of 24-bit color

Advanced Graphics:
DirectX® 11 capable graphics card with Shader Model 5 and a minimum of 4GB of video memory
Disk Space    30 GB free disk space
Media    Download or installation from DVD9 or USB key
Pointing Device    MS-Mouse or 3Dconnexion® compliant device
.NET Framework    .NET Framework Version 4.8 or later.
Browser    Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 10 (or higher)
Connectivity    Internet connection for license registration and prerequisite component download
Return to Top

Revit® 2021

Value: Balanced price and performance
Operating System ¹    64-bit Microsoft® Windows® 10. See Autodesk's Product Support Lifecycle for support information.
CPU Type    Single- or Multi-Core Intel®, Xeon®, or i-Series processor or AMD® equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended.

Memory    16 GB RAM

Usually sufficient for a typical editing session for a single model up to approximately 300 MB on disk. This estimate is based on internal testing and customer reports. Individual models will vary in their use of computer resources and performance characteristics.
Models created in previous versions of Revit software products may require more available memory for the one-time upgrade process.
1680 x 1050 with true color

Maximum:
Ultra-High (4k) Definition Monitor
Video Adapter    DirectX 11 capable graphics card with Shader Model 5 and a minimum of 4GB of video memory.
Disk Space    30 GB free disk space
Browser    Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 or higher
Connectivity    Internet connection for license registration and prerequisite component download
Return to Top

Revit® 2021

Performance: Large, complex models
Operating System *    64-bit Microsoft® Windows® 10. See Autodesk's Product Support Lifecycle for support information.

Memory    32 GB RAM
Usually sufficient for a typical editing session for a single model up to approximately 700 MB on disk. This estimate is based on internal testing and customer reports. Individual models will vary in their use of computer resources and performance characteristics.
1920 x 1200 with true color

Maximum:
Ultra-High (4k) Definition Monitor
Video Adapter    DirectX® 11 capable graphics card with Shader Model 5 and a minimum of 4GB of video memory
Disk Space  
30 GB free disk space
10,000+ RPM HardDrive (for Point Cloud interactions) or Solid State Drive
Browser    Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 10 or higher

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The best article I found Googling:
Has a lot of information, list of best hardware for Revit and example PC builds for Autodesk Revit in different price-tiers.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The best article I found Googling:
Has a lot of information, list of best hardware for Revit and example PC builds for Autodesk Revit in different price-tiers.
Thanks, Gandalf!

I read the article, it is very well written. Accordingly, I don't think the proposed build is right.
The article says most important is single-core performance and fast storage. It only gives GPU an importance of 5 out of 10.

So intel i7 tenth gen is cheaper, and it's faster at one-core performance. And the fancy Mobo is a waste. Not sure about the GPU. Downgrade or not?
But I think she should take a top grade SSD, not a middle-grade one like they are offering.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
IMHO 7th Intel gen is "dead" and built in old architecture... I would think to buy something with future, and 7th Intel is the past...

This picture is quite obsolete I guess:

1605177122822.png

The CPUs compared are all almost obsolete now... Ryzen 1th gen?? Intel 7th gen??? seriously? where are AMD 2nd and 3rd gen? Intel 8th 9th and 10th gens? :)

Added: and new upcoming AMD Zen3 5000 gen destroys even in 1 core any Intel CPU even 10th gen :)

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
IMHO 7th Intel gen is "dead" and built in old architecture... I would think to buy something with future, and 7th Intel is the past...

This picture is quite obsolete I guess:

View attachment 248894

The CPUs compared are all almost obsolete now... Ryzen 1th gen?? Intel 7th gen??? seriously? where are AMD 2nd and 3rd gen? Intel 8th 9th and 10th gens? :)
Right, I agree. I wrote in my post: i7 tenth gen.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
My daughter-in-law, who is an architect and interior designer, needs a new desktop computer. She does 3D imaging.
She was offered a build with the following specs. The price is a little steep: 9772 NIS, equivalent to $2891. Can she safely downgrade it a little? Is there overkill here?

MOBO: X570-Taichi - ASRock

CPU: AMD Ryzen9 3900X

RAM:
HyperX 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 CL17 DIMM - RGB - HyperX XMP Predator RGB Series

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX3070 8GB OC

Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Mid Tower Silent Case,Tempered Glass, Glacier White

SSD: XPG 1024GB (1TB) SSD PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 2280 - Read 3900MB/s, Write 3200MB/s - XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite Series

HDD: Western Digital 2TB - 3.5 inch - WD Caviar Black series (new) - SATA3 6Gb/s interface - 64MB Cache - 7200RPM
1.XPG 1024GB (1TB) SSD PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 2280 is a bit of an overkill and extremely costly. Better choose an NVME 512 Gb of gen3, it would suffice for any kind of 3D applications and the difference between the gen 3 and gen4 would not be perceivable by normal human beings.
2.Go for a 4TB or 8TB HD, 2TB won't make the cut in future.
3.I would really wait a bit to get a ZEN3 5900x in to the mix.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
shmu26--Is there a retailer where you are that can bundle the Ryzen with a compatible motherboard? Nothing against the Corsair cooler, but the 3900X comes with its own cooler. Don't know how good it is, though. I linked to a page on Micro Center's site with various examples of cpu and motherboard combos as a reference.

That main SSD sounds absolutely fantastic! I recently upgraded to Samsung 980 Pro from 970 EVO Plus and I absolutely notice the difference in speed, never mind the benchmarks. Passmark rates that 980 Pro SSD in the 99th percentile currently.

If you read up on the NVIDIA 3000 series, you will find that air-cooling has been optimized. Or, you can consider the AMD's Big NAVI offerings but I admit, I don't know much of anything about them.

Nice case--under 100 dollars. Unless you're a fan of RGB, instead of the Corsair cooler, you can consider a Noctua NH D15. It's very ugly but these are great cpu coolers. Amazon link as a reference. Or the Be Quiet! Dark Rock. And maybe get a couple extra case fans. If going with one of those big coolers, I would make sure there's enough clearance between that and the side of the case.

I don't see a PSU in there, is one included in the price? You do not want a cheap PSU for this. Seasonic Focus series. prob. 750-850 watts with a minimum Gold rating is a suggestion. Maybe someone can offer more suggestions.

That build is awesome. At worst, maybe keep as-is and enjoy.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
shmu26--Is there a retailer where you are that can bundle the Ryzen with a compatible motherboard? Nothing against the Corsair cooler, but the 3900X comes with its own cooler. Don't know how good it is, though. I linked to a page on Micro Center's site with various examples of cpu and motherboard combos as a reference.

That main SSD sounds absolutely fantastic! I recently upgraded to Samsung 980 Pro from 970 EVO Plus and I absolutely notice the difference in speed, never mind the benchmarks. Passmark rates that 980 Pro SSD in the 99th percentile currently.

If you read up on the NVIDIA 3000 series, you will find that air-cooling has been optimized. Or, you can consider the AMD's Big NAVI offerings but I admit, I don't know much of anything about them.

Nice case--under 100 dollars. Unless you're a fan of RGB, instead of the Corsair cooler, you can consider a Noctua NH D15. It's very ugly but these are great cpu coolers. Amazon link as a reference. Or the Be Quiet! Dark Rock. And maybe get a couple extra case fans.

I don't see a PSU in there, is one included in the price? You do not want a cheap PSU for this. Seasonic Focus series. prob. 750-850 watts with a minimum Gold rating is a suggestion. Maybe someone can offer more suggestions.

That build is awesome. At worst, maybe keep as-is and enjoy.
Thanks for the comments. Yes, we have stores over here that will mix and match components. I was also puzzled by the lack of PSU in the specs.

I did a little research on Revit Autodesk, and with every new version, it uses multi-core for more of its functions.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, if you have absolutely NOTHING better to do, maybe try things out with PC Part Picker. I did a list with most of your parts and was coming up with about 1500 USD in total cost but exclusive of gpu. A PSU is included. A less-costly motherboard is a possibility.

A Founders Edition rtx 3070 retails for around 500.00 around here. Variants of Gigabyte and whatnot range from 520 USD to 775 USD give or take--if available. I would not jump at the first available if the cost is beyond what I quoted. If you could shave off 200 USD (or even more) off the original price you quoted, that would be great.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well, if you have absolutely NOTHING better to do, maybe try things out with PC Part Picker. I did a list with most of your parts and was coming up with about 1500 USD in total cost but exclusive of gpu. A PSU is included. A less-costly motherboard is a possibility.

A Founders Edition rtx 3070 retails for around 500.00 around here. Variants of Gigabyte and whatnot range from 520 USD to 775 USD give or take--if available. I would not jump at the first available if the cost is beyond what I quoted. If you could shave off 200 USD, that would be great.

Awesome!

• Thanks
Reactions: plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.