CyberGhost Owner to purchase Private Internet Access VPN

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Private Internet Access, a popular VPN provider, is set to have a new owner, after Kape Technologies announced its intention to acquire the parent company (and creator) of PIA, LTMI Holdings (London Trust Media).

The deal is for $95.5 million according to a report by Vox Markets, consisting of $52.9 million cash, and the issue of over 42.7 million new Kape shares which will also pay off London Trust Media’s existing $32.1 million debt (making the total enterprise value of LTMI $127.6 million in the acquisition).

In 2017 Knapp sold CyberGhost to an Israeli company called Crossrider for €9.2 million. Crossrider changed its name to “Kape Technologies” in 2018

Then in October 2018, Kape purchased Zenmate, a Germany VPN provider, for an undisclosed amount. This lines up with the trend we’ve observed of VPNs getting bought up by outside investors. It is the consolidation of the VPN industry.

According to online sources (URL: here, here), Kape Technologies has a shady past and is known to have made malware in the past so YMMV. :unsure:

Last edited:

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I never use VPN but if I need to use at any time I use the Opera browser.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
I personally am using PIA at the moment and have cancelled my auto-renewal subscription but alas I still have 10 month more.

After looking around the most recommended VPN provider is Mullvad VPN but the cost (5 Euro per month) is hard for me to swallow due to my low usage.

The next best option that I have found is Windscribe VPN (USD$4++ per month) which is more cost comparable to PIA VPN and I'll be trasferring to them once my current subscription is over.

Looking for more opinion if anyone has one.
Cheers. :cool:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I personally am using PIA at the moment and have cancelled my auto-renewal subscription but alas I still have 10 month more.

After looking around the most recommended VPN provider is Mullvad VPN but the cost (5 Euro per month) is hard for me to swallow due to my low usage.

The next best option that I have found is Windscribe VPN (USD$4++ per month) which is more cost comparable to PIA VPN and I'll be trasferring to them once my current subscription is over.

Looking for more opinion if anyone has one.
Cheers. :cool:
IVPN Is very high quality, but it’s expensive comparably.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Nice.. I was considering renewing my 5 year, it expired last week. Good thing I didn't. Kape is shady as heck and news of this should be spread far and wide so folks know to add this to the list of VPN's to avoid.

This is worthy of mention;

From Article Above: "Crossrider’s Founder and first CEO Koby Menachemi, was part of Unit 8200 – something that can be called Israel’s NSA. Another key person, Teddy Sagi, who is the main investor in both Crossrider and Kape Technologies, is mentioned in the Panama Papers."

Last edited by a moderator:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
@ForgottenSeer 58943, lift your hair and:
tsoukalos_publicity01.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

As I often said here, Mullvad or IVPN, for the privacy-concerned looking for serious providers.
I will shift to IVPN when they will offer their Black Friday deal.

For the casual users, Express or Windscribe is good enough.

This is absolutely perfect advice. I am of the same opinion. Windscribe is cheap, and good for casual use, non-high security work, etc. But if you want some serious privacy and anonymity you'd better roll with Mullvad or IVPN.

Of course, I too am waiting for Black Friday IVPN deals...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.