Cybersecurity is just too much trouble for the general public, claims study

Thread author
Tripwire

This is almost a year old, but there you have it - stuff that most people that visit these forums already know.

One NIST recommendation:

"Make it simple for users to choose the right security action"

There is a very simple answer to the above --- block by default and don't allow the user to make an immediate decision. It works 100 % of time.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I think people are usually not aware of how dangerous using Internet can be. My parents are case in point. They see nothing wrong with clicking on advertisements, even though I sat with them couple of times and had THE conversation "you have to use your brain and protection... I ain't takin' care of your malware babies" :D But when I installed the NoScript extension in their browsers to minimize the risk of their happy-clicking adventures, it seemed over the top to them and I got angry calls about how I broke their Internet. :D

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The concept of security fatigue is truly embarrassing. The advice given to the general public isn't complicated or time consuming; no one's asking them to turn their system into Fort Knox, just to follow a few simple steps to minimise their risk of being infected. From where I'm standing it seems less "security fatigue" and more "security indifference".

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I was just about a complete novice when I joined MT a few years back now but I have picked up on a lot from all the great members here at MT. :) By the way many thanks to all MT members for sharing their knowledge and wisdom. ;)
I was too a few years back. Got adware because of happy clicking and learned my lesson. Now MT is improving my knowledge further.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Most of the public are epic in laziness about security. Take my father in-law.. He doesn't ask me a single question about routers when his router broke. Instead he runs over to one of the last remaining Radioshack stores and buys a $29 router. Tosses it on his network, leaves it all default and goes back to his normal routine. Yet when this guy is shopping for new blinds for a spare bedroom he talks to everyone, consults online blinds forums, hires a local interior decorator and finally imports special blinds from Spain or something.. I mean REALLY? This is ignorance at it's finest. The guy spends more time deciding what cut of roast beef to buy than the device that is supposed to control and secure his entire home network.. Unfortunately this is COMMON...

I walked into the 3rd largest law firm in this state and they had a Tenda Router on the network serving 150 attorneys and countless sensitive information.

However security firms seem to be getting a handle on the stupidity of people and the need for a UTM rather than a simple nat router on their networks. F-Secure Sense UTM is out.. Bit Defender Box is out with an improved 2.0 hardware coming. Norton's UTM is coming out in a week and is already for sale on Amazon. Then there is CUJO and a bunch of others being developed.

Thread author
The guy spends more time deciding what cut of roast beef to buy than the device that is supposed to control and secure his entire home network...

This is typical person behavior.

Most typical people have various issues with:
  • IT security
  • Investments
  • Insurances
  • Home repairs\"construction"
  • Automotive repairs
Somewhere out there are additional studies about things most people do not like to deal with.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Security is an instantaneous concept. What is sure in the moment in which we discuss about, may not be the same in a few minutes due to the discovery of a zero-day flaw. There is still so much to do, especially with regard to the protection of critical infrastructure.
What worries me more about the safety system, is the lack of perception of threat on the part of the users that are the weak link in the security chain, this means that the overall level of security is strongly dependent on the contribution of each one of us.
Cybersec is difficult or not attractive for the common user, but there is not a funny solution.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Security programs are getting better tho. I suspect we'll see more default settings for novice users in the future where the security level is still very high. Also probably going to have to pay for security out of the box of this nature even tho I am sure free software will still be good and available.

Cybersec is difficult or not attractive for the common user, but there is not a funny solution.

I agree with this statement. Seems one issue leads to three others sometimes. Appreciate the effort going into attempting to simplify things for new users by @Prayag and @TheMalwareMaster and others. Good to be able to set up friends and all.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Security programs are getting better tho. I suspect we'll see more default settings for novice users in the future where the security level is still very high. Also probably going to have to pay for security out of the box of this nature even tho I am sure free software will still be good and available.

I agree with this statement. Seems one issue leads to three others sometimes. Appreciate the effort going into attempting to simplify things for new users by @Prayag and @TheMalwareMaster and others. Good to be able to set up friends and all.
Thanks for mentioning me. Yeah, actually I'm focusing on beginners on the home department. I like the VoodooShield free concept (install and forget, no need to tweak it). I also like COMODO firewall for the possibility of exporting a configuration. This way, I can configure it and then pass the config file to a man and tell him to use that one.
The only problem of this work is education. Telling one to use VoodooShield or COMODO at my settings is not teaching how to stay secure. It's just replacing their mind with a software. Teaching needs more time to be made well

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.