Cyberstalking Suspect Arrested After VPN Providers Shared Logs With the FBI

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
PureVPN is not to be recommended and that's what the site below says

PureVPN Review - Why You Should AVOID | RestorePrivacy

Yes, I read a review about PureVpn on the site you placed a link. Honestly, I always make my own decision rather reading such reviews. But I can confirm from my own experience using PureVPN that it leaks DNS.

2a.jpg

Last edited:

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
AirVPN if configured correctly will "not" leak DNS
@NikolayfromRussia : Can't Pure fix or patch that ?

I should contact them and ask if they can fix/patch it. I like this vpn service as it has many countries in a list so you can choose almost any country you want. I don't know if these servers are virtual..... But security problem as DNS leak exists. I enabled ,, switch to secure DNS,, option but still no result.
Currently I use Cactus or PrivateVpn. Sometimes Nord or VyprVpn, ibvpn.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I should contact them and ask if they can fix/patch it. I like this vpn service as it has many countries in a list so you can choose almost any country you want. I don't know if these servers are virtual..... But security problem as DNS leak exists. I enabled ,, switch to secure DNS,, option but still no result.
Currently I use Cactus or PrivateVpn. Sometimes Nord or VyprVpn, ibvpn.
So whats going on Nord & ibvpn?
are you satisfy with them?

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
So whats going on Nord & ibvpn?
are you satisfy with them?

For me a NordVpn is the most trustable vpn service based in Panama. A nice guy from their company Igantuis kindly provided me 1 year accounts for giveaway like a VyprVpn and other Vpn companies do. So, I don't need to buy these vpn services as they always give me one account as gift too.
NordVpn is nice but a little bit slow in download speed. For Internet surfing is fine.
VyprVpn is nice too but I have a problem while disconnecting from their servers. It shows me ,,disconnecting,, but can't disconnect and I have to do it manually by closing a vpn client. I don't know about it's security and if it keeps logs or not. I can't verify it

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Yes, Purevpn and Windscribe offer a lifetime subscription. I haven't checked a windscribe vpn well but purevpn is going bad. I think that NordVPn is more reliable to use.

Windscribe responded to the survey in this article. Scoll to near the bottom to read Windscribe's response.

Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017?
Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017? - TorrentFreak

The questions asked were as follows:

1. Do you keep ANY logs which would allow you to match an IP-address and a time stamp to a user/users of your service? If so, what information do you hold and for how long?

2. What is the registered name of the company and under what jurisdiction(s) does it operate?

3. Do you use any external visitor tracking, email providers or support tools that hold information about your users/visitors?

4. In the event you receive a takedown notice (DMCA or other), how are these handled?

5. What steps are taken when a valid court order or subpoena requires your company to identify an active user of your service? Has this ever happened?

6. Is BitTorrent and other file-sharing traffic allowed (and treated equally to other traffic) on all servers? If not, why?

7. Which payment systems do you use and how are these linked to individual user accounts?

8. What is the most secure VPN connection and encryption algorithm you would recommend to your users?

9. How do you currently handle IPv6 connections and potential IPv6 leaks? Do you provide DNS leak protection and tools such as “kill switches” if a connection drops?

10. Do you offer a custom VPN application to your users? If so, for which platforms?

11. Do you have physical control over your VPN servers and network or are they hosted by/accessible to a third party? Do you use your own DNS servers?

12. What countries are your servers located in?

L

Local Host

Windscribe responded to the survey in this article. Scoll to near the bottom to read Windscribe's response.

Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017?
Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017? - TorrentFreak

The questions asked were as follows:
Answer two is the best :ROFLMAO:,
Private Internet Access is operated by London Trust Media, Inc., with branches in the US and Iceland, which are a few of the countries that still respect privacy and do not have a mandatory data retention policy.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Answer two is the best :ROFLMAO:,
Private Internet Access is operated by London Trust Media, Inc., with branches in the US and Iceland, which are a few of the countries that still respect privacy and do not have a mandatory data retention policy.

Windscribe actually answered #2 with this ...

2. Windscribe is operated by Windscribe Limited, in Ontario, Canada, which has no data retention directives that apply to VPN companies.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Guys, what do you think if to use a double vpn? I mean to use two different vpn services instead of one vpn service who offers a double vpn. How will it work? Let's say I installed a virtual machine and run a vpn service inside of it where I will do some illegal activity. The other vpn service will be installed on my real PC. So, I guess that my Internet traffic in Vmware will go through two different service. Some settings in Vmware network adapters required too.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Guys, what do you think if to use a double vpn? I mean to use two different vpn services instead of one vpn service who offers a double vpn. How will it work? Let's say I installed a virtual machine and run a vpn service inside of it where I will do some illegal activity. The other vpn service will be installed on my real PC. So, I guess that my Internet traffic in Vmware will go through two different service. Some settings in Vmware network adapters required too.
Best way to do that would be to buy a router with an integrated VPN and then use a separate VPN on your PC. Personally I'm not sure it'd be worth slowdown you'd suffer.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Nested VPN's are typically used by hackers, activists and/or people that are being harassed or stalked by state actors or their contractors. It's generally considered a pretty solid method to avoid some issues but your speed will suffer because you are decrypting/encrypting traffic twice on two degraded tunnels. Unless a well funded actor is on your tail then it's probably overkill.

Reactions: Weebarra

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
HAHAHA this thread does not provide any response in concrete. Be good boys and dont to hide much himself.
because if you seek more effort to hide, they will seek you with more enthusiasm, although you don't nothing wrong.
Unless you're using a VPN to combat consumer surveillance and stopped caring about law enforcement's all-seeing eye a long time ago, like myself.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

? Were talking about Nikolay's PureVPN issue, Eddie is the AirVPN client and
AirVPN is just fine. ;)

Ooops, I got confused.

PureVPN I can't help with, I've never trusted them. Since they recently spilled to the FBI, their net-trust is ZERO. But I remember some White Hats talking about them last year and saying they rated them a 1 out of 10 in trust. LOL

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
D

Deleted member 178

I'm sure that secretly all VPNs keep logs (in case the authorities ask for them), no VPNs will dare take the risk of being out of business for the sake of one customer's privacy. Just my opinion.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.