Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Windows Defender
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox. uBlock Origin
Maintenance tools
Wise Care 365, O%O ShutUp 10, SysHardener, OSArmor, WPD, Unchecky, simplewall, Revo Uninstaller Pro.
File and Photo backup
External HDD
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/cybertech-laptop.85055/

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@CyberTech

You can harden the security and privacy of FF

1) Turn off/on unnecessary settings in Options in the browser. For me I Off most of the settings because some connects to Google and also I'm using extensions for better control

2) If you don't want Google to track you then select a high-privacy search engine like SearX.me

3) Use the guides below

Guide: Hardening Mozilla Firefox For Privacy & Security 2016 | Cyber Security Wiki | Viking VPN Service
Privacy Tools | Encryption against global mass surveillance

Note that some of the settings may not be suitable for your set up

No need to be paranoid to apply the hardening guide from GitHub (below)

pyllyukko/user.js

4) Since you are not using a VPN you can set DNS-Over-HTTPS to secure your DNS queries in FF. Follow this guide

Configure DNS Over HTTPS in Firefox - gHacks Tech News

5) Apply some (or all) of the below extensions

Ghostery
MalwareBytes
Cookie AutoDelete
ClearURLs
Skip Redirect
Behind the Overlay
Behavioral Keyboard Privacy
IDN Safe
Adguard Adblocker (with filters)
minerBlock
TrackMeNot
CanvasBlocker (disable canvas fingerprint protection in other extensions)
ScriptSafe
YouTube Container
Temporary Containers (also, enable first party isolation in FF)
Trace
CSS Exfil Protection

Note:- Adjust the settings in the extensions appropriately

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@CyberTech: please kindly consider:
  • You may change UAC to Always Notify.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser, and MalWareBytes 4 Windows Free, Windows Defender is Your real-time protection, and although You can run on demand scans with it also, You should delete it from this section.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may add some browser extensions: and a VPN service.
  • Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here.
Thanks for sharing Your config :)

I

illumination

This is a light but effective configuration. If you were to consider hardening your security a tad, you can do so easily considering you're running w10 pro and have access to the Group Policy Editor.

I would consider also at least 1 on-demand scanner to supplement your realtime as well.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
This is a light but effective configuration. If you were to consider hardening your security a tad, you can do so easily considering you're running w10 pro and have access to the Group Policy Editor.

I would consider also at least 1 on-demand scanner to supplement your realtime as well.

Quote from below link
If you are using Windows 10 (Core/Home) or Windows 10 Pro edition, this trick to set telemetry option to 0 - Security is useless for you. Microsoft has mentioned clearly in the description of "Allow Telemetry" option in Group Policy Editor that setting the option to "0 - Security" on Windows 10 Home or Pro editions is equivalent to settings it to "1 - Basic" which you can always change using Settings app without using Group Policy Editor or Registry Editor.

That Group Policy trick only works in Windows 10 Enterprise, Education, IoT and Server editions.

Truth Behind Disallowing Telemetry and Data Collection Trick in Windows 10 - AskVG

I

illumination

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.