Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
1585026550518.png

1585026854336.png

Cylance nicely updated the online GUI.

They also now provide more policy updates.

And it's the lightest AV I've ever used.

And it's super strong against 0-days and ransomware.

But all those false positives.... ☹(n)

1585027544341.png

1585028457978.png

**Full disclosure. Although I have Cylance on multiple machines... I have it turned off mostly. I just prefer other products at this time...

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
View attachment 235271

View attachment 235272

Cylance nicely updated the online GUI.

They also now provide more policy updates.

And it's the lightest AV I've ever used.

And it's super strong against 0-days and ransomware.

But all those false positives.... ☹(n)

View attachment 235275

View attachment 235280

**Full disclosure. Although I have Cylance on multiple machines... I have it turned off mostly. I just prefer other products at this time...
1585029695828.png

He scored better than his competitors
Carbon Black, CrowdStrike, SeninelOne

Rollers127

Level 1
Jan 4, 2020
I've noticed over the previous few months on most sites that there is a lot of knocking of Cylance, I for one like their innovative approach and lightness and renewed again this year for the home version. I do always do second opinion scans with defender and check daily with process explorer but have never had any issues at all. Its simplicity might not work for some, and each to their own, but for me, I like it

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I've noticed over the previous few months on most sites that there is a lot of knocking of Cylance, I for one like their innovative approach and lightness and renewed again this year for the home version. I do always do second opinion scans with defender and check daily with process explorer but have never had any issues at all. Its simplicity might not work for some, and each to their own, but for me, I like it

I think it is really good.... for what it is. There are a few holes... like exploits and preventative web protection. But Cylance is surprisingly effective for having such a tiny footprint and virtually no system impact.

I wouldn't waste your time doing this unless you suspect your system might be infected.

Since Cylance has no scanning function and is highly specialized but possibly has a few areas of 'lesser coverage' -- I would think that periodic scanning might be prudent.

Is it cloud dependent or most things happen locally?

Hmmmm.... I'm not sure. My assumption is that the ML/AI piece is done locally.

When I first become interested in Cylance, my interest was partially based on this test of the Cylance 'Predictive Advantage.' This SE Labs test seems to indicate that the ML/AI piece is done at the endpoint.

But Cylance does ask permission to move tagged files to the cloud.

And... there was other information 'out there' that seemed to indicate that maybe a cloud could be more involved. If I remember correctly, this was Umbra's belief. But I dunno.

1585054960041.png

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Since Cylance has no scanning function and is highly specialized but possibly has a few areas of 'lesser coverage' -- I would think that periodic scanning might be prudent.
It does have on-demand scanning functionality but you have to enable the Advanced UI to access it.
With that said, allowing Defender to perform its own periodic scanning while the system is idle is fine, but I'd argue going out of the way to initiate the scan manually is unnecessary, especially if they aren't constantly engaging in risky computing habits.

The daily Process Explorer inspection is also unnecessary and excessive for the same reason.

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Mrfirewalls

Mar 27, 2020
I have deployed Cylance (corporate edition) as a MSSP to a multitude of customers. Yes the full version does take a bit of tuning, but is very effective. The UI you have mentioned is for the home edition, which is a cut down version. I do find it frustrating as I know that the product can do a lot more than my home edition. Really need to look at the 2 products separately in any testing.

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I have deployed Cylance (corporate edition) as a MSSP to a multitude of customers. Yes the full version does take a bit of tuning, but is very effective. The UI you have mentioned is for the home edition, which is a cut down version. I do find it frustrating as I know that the product can do a lot more than my home edition. Really need to look at the 2 products separately in any testing.

Sounds like you may be an expert.

Yes, the home version is pretty limited.

But please give us any tip or tweaks that you know about.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.